Strange/unexpected Moz references?

THE SMITHS – THE HEADMASTER RITUAL

This week in 1985 saw the release of THE HEADMASTER RITUAL by THE SMITHS on Dutch Megadisc 12”, (November 1985).

12” tracks: A: The Headmaster Ritual / B: Nowhere Fast / Stretch Out And Wait / Shakespeare's Sister / Meat Is Murder

The tracks on the b-side were recorded live in Oxford, 18/03/85.

“When "How Soon Is Now?" came out as a single in the UK on the eve of the release of the "Meat Is Murder" album, Megadisc, who had already released the song as an a-side, preferred a track from the new album, which they put out on 7" only,” wrote Stephane for the wonderful Smiths fansite http://www.passionsjustlikemine.com/.

“They picked the catchy "The Headmaster Ritual" and backed it by the "How Soon Is Now?" b-side "Oscillate Wildly". They quickly put together the original single artwork.”

“Later in the year as "That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore" was about to be released in the UK, Megadisc again preferred the more radio- and club-friendly "The Headmaster Ritual". They released the song on 12", backed it with the same live b-sides as the British "That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore", and used brand new Morrissey-designed artwork. They pressed more of the 7"s with the same original b-side, but slipped then inside the new picture artwork instead of the original text one.

The video here is THE HEADMASTER RITUAL.

“Morrissey makes several stabs at understanding his own abnormal sociology in the other songs on Meat Is Murder, especially in 'The Headmaster Ritual', further Manchester autobiography, this time populated by sadistic educators who are both less sanguine than those recalled by the Kinks, and less fascist than those vilified by the paranoid Pink Floyd,” wrote Richard Riegel for Creem magazine (June 1985).

“Morrissey may have an axe to grind, but the song shines better out of its behind, out of his yodeling chorus and the instant-addiction hooks of Marr's guitar.”

View attachment 65877

No other data around to speak of.
The demise of Google Play Music leaves just 2 major sellers and streaming figures to accrue in securing a single's chart position. That, and another staggered release has ensured diluting any cumulative figures. It will do ok on the vinyl singles chart based on previous entries, but it was never likely to do anything in the 'main' charts.
Regards,
FWD.
The Vinyl charts are odd, New Order are number 1 with their new single Be a Rebel but it's nowhere to be seen in the official charts and there are also 3 Joy Division singles and another 5 New Order singles in the top 40. The sales needed to get in that chart must be tiny.

The Vinyl charts are odd, New Order are number 1 with their new single Be a Rebel but it's nowhere to be seen in the official charts and there are also 3 Joy Division singles and another 5 New Order singles in the top 40. The sales needed to get in that chart must be tiny.
They are, look at the success Morrissey has had in those charts with no top 100 official singles chart entries.

I’m sure I read a little while ago a vinyl release made the top 40 vinyl charts with only half a dozen sales or something.

I think ‘the kids’ are into buying albums on vinyl, but not singles. It remains a very, very small market.

View attachment 65924

Not so much a Morrissey item as a clear shared interest. Knutson's posted many Dean things recently and that commonality possibly explains him being hired. Just on face value, both have mentioned Bill Bast, but Knutson appears to be as obsessed with Dean as Morrissey has ever presented.
Regards,
FWD.

a quote from the Little Prince.

IMG_20201125_141948.jpg

Although technically a marketplace-type item, posted here simply as this is one of the first posts about Morrissey by Cummins since his public 'upset' at him.
Regards,
FWD.

Then it should have been shared here last week shouldn't it...
"one of".
Well yes, I suppose it should have.

I did notice the "one of" in your post. My post was supposed to be an addendum, not a "correction" in any way...

For the readers out there, the new Nick Cave Book: Boy On Fire has only an end note Smiths' mention (although this concentrates more on his early life).
Just finished Joni Mitchell: In Her Own Words and there's zero Morrissey/Smiths' mentions.
PM->📖
Regards,
FWD.

Couple of IG pics that stood out:

Twitter posts from Skyward Recording studios, of Escondido, California, with "Ed Jr M" {Chief Engineer at Skyward} pictured during his previous role at Conway Recording Studios, where "Years of Refusal" was recorded...

Morrissey Years of Refusal recording notes (i).jpg

Morrissey Years of Refusal recording notes (iii).jpg

Morrissey Years of Refusal recording notes.jpg

* Hello "Teresa, Teresa" :tiphat:

Yep, that's one (of quite a few tracks) on my spreadsheet, & annotated as "Unreleased Rumour Unavailable"
Unreleased - yes; Unavailable - yes; but since it appeared on the Warner Chappel website along with the other Whyte-co-writes I wouldn't categorise it as "rumour".

I've found that site but not the info I was looking for.

Found this also: Morrissey told "Uncut" magazine in 2006 that "I would rather eat my own testicles than reform the Smiths, and that's saying something for a vegetarian." :lbf:

Did it? Do you have a link or something?
I have no working link because it was listed there over twelf years ago before Refusal was released. It's mentioned on here in the archives multiple times though.

I've found that site but not the info I was looking for.

Found this also: Morrissey told "Uncut" magazine in 2006 that "I would rather eat my own testicles than reform the Smiths, and that's saying something for a vegetarian." :lbf:
"...and this is not a rehearsed answer..." 😏

Tags
burlesque coronation street live morrissey new album poster sport strips the smiths
Back
Top Bottom