Suffer Little Children - Unheard Troy Tate Version?

Irregular Regular

Forget my fate.
I've been sent (by someone who wishes to remain anonymous) what I believe is a previously unheard version of Suffer Little Children.
It's definitely a Troy Tate recording, however the track length does not match either of the versions we have heard before.
This particular version ends in a piano coda, same as the one heard on Troy Tate 1, however I personally believe this segment has been added on at some point post-production, and it's not necessarily genuine.
However the song itself (before the piano kicks in) ends at 5:02, making it some 8 seconds longer than the Troy Tate 2 version we are all familiar with, and this is what leads me to believe this is a version we have never heard before.

Oh yes, one more thing, the sound quality is out of this world, certainly a huge improvement on anything heard before.

Here it is then...

https://www.sendspace.com/file/xkqniz

What do you all think?

Thank you very much.

Inspector Clouseau says:

This is the monitor mix version (I don't know whether that means Tate 1 or Tate 2 or neither) with the coda seemingly added in. It must come from a different source to what was leaked previously, or be a different transfer from the same source, because the original leaked version had some terrible speed issues at the beginning. It's also not the cleaned up version, because it has flaws elsewhere in the recording. The fact that these flaws are present suggests the source is a cassette rather than a master reel.

The monitor mixes, when they originally surfaced, played much too fast, which could account for the difference in track length you mention. If you haven't upgraded from those original files, I'd really recommend it:

http://www.smithstorrents.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=4313

Last edited:
Great quality.
Kudos to both.
Thank you,
FWD.

Thank you very much.

Inspector Clouseau says:

This is the monitor mix version (I don't know whether that means Tate 1 or Tate 2 or neither) with the coda seemingly added in. It must come from a different source to what was leaked previously, or be a different transfer from the same source, because the original leaked version had some terrible speed issues at the beginning. It's also not the cleaned up version, because it has flaws elsewhere in the recording. The fact that these flaws are present suggests the source is a cassette rather than a master reel.

The monitor mixes, when they originally surfaced, played much too fast, which could account for the difference in track length you mention. If you haven't upgraded from those original files, I'd really recommend it:

http://www.smithstorrents.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=4313

Thank you, this is exactly what I was looking for - opinions, debate, etc.
I have always found the whole Troy Tate thing a bit of a maze to say the least.
So many recorded versions, so many fan corrected versions over the years, from speed to sound quality to everything in between.
But I would tend to agree with your comments, I also think the coda was tacked on, and I do believe that this is in fact what is known as Tate 2 (what you call the 'monitor mix'), it's just a slightly different speed to all the other versions I have and also the best sound quality so far, at least to my ears.

it's just a slightly different speed to all the other versions I have and also the best sound quality so far, at least to my ears.

I think this version may have the edge in terms of sound quality, but only by the width of a cigarette paper. Seriously, you should download the torrent I linked to above. It has the full set in similar sound quality to this.

I think this version may have the edge in terms of sound quality, but only by the width of a cigarette paper. Seriously, you should download the torrent I linked to above. It has the full set in similar sound quality to this.

Thank you, I think I have it already though, in some obscure Smiths folder or another. :)

Back
Top Bottom