"Surely how I feel is not nothing?" by Morrissey - statement at true-to-you.net

• Thread starter Deleted member 1074
  • Start date
Thank you Morrissey. Glad to know that there are at least a few artists in the public eye with the guts to speak out about this hideous revisionism. If you're from the UK and have half a brain you'll know that over the past week we've been living in some Orwellian nightmare, where the media (even those on the Left) have adopted this tone of hushed respect for Thatcher and somehow rewritten her legacy as a feminist icon and deified leader, as if her 'conviction' politics was something to be admired. Well, here's a history lesson, for those who don't know much about her:

Her only act of parliament that remains in place is The Housing Act, where she allowed people to buy their council houses. So far so good for the people in social housing right? Apart from she neglected to put the money back into building more social housing, so now, when the press complain about families living in mansions at the expense of the taxpayer and there are many going homeless because they're on 'a waiting list', it's because she sold off all the council houses.

She closed the coal mines and other industries almost overnight, as a punishment for union strikes, and had no inclination to introduce any more job opportunities to those who found themselves out of work. Men were injured, a couple even killed, by police brutality on the picket lines, some committed suicide, miners and their families had to live on handouts (honest to god food parcels from well-wishers, in the late 20th century). Now those communities still have high rates of unemployment, alcoholism, drug addiction and the generations unable to work, have become generations unwilling to work. Her actions laid waste to The North, in the fashion of William the Conqueror, in order to subjugate dissent. I'm not saying that some industries didn't need to be shut down over time, but her sweeping reforms and stubborn refusal to help the unemployed was nothing short of heinous. Now we import coal to Britain and it's costing a fortune and the biggest irony is, we're sitting on bloody mines of the stuff.

She introduced 'care in the community' by shutting mental institutions and said that services would step in to help the mentally ill. They didn't, because she didn't fund them. Of the people who had hitherto lived in those institutions, many went homeless, some committed murder, some committed suicide. The legacy of this horrific policy still exists today. Not only that, but of the returning soldiers from the Falklands war, more committed suicide than died fighting, so to those who claim Thatcher was a friend of the armed forces, was she hell!

And speaking of the Falklands war, she committed a war crime by firing on The Belgrano as it was retreating. Apparently we're 'not being British' if we hate Thatcher, but what's British about shooting your enemy in the back? They were outside an agreed exclusion zone and the ship was manned by conscripted soldiers, meaning whether those young men wanted to or not, they had to fight for their country. Then she, and the right wing press gloated about it. Horrible!

On a similar subject, she was pally with several dictators, General Zia ul Haq, General Suharto, Saddam Hussein and General Pinochet, the latter remaining her 'friend' long after his crimes had been revealed; she even voiced opposition to his international arrest warrant. In maintaining these friendships she showed contempt for the millions of people that these men suppressed, tortured and murdered. You want to know where places like Libya and Iraq sourced their weapons back then? Thatcher and her arms deals, that's where.

She supported apartheid and branded Nelson Mandella a "grubby little terrorist". That one needs no more explanation.

She voiced her hatred for feminism, calling it a 'poison' and said that single mothers and their children would be 'better off in religious organisations'. Considering how many people have come forward to testify about abuse at the hands of religious organisations, all I can say is thank god that didn't happen.

She introduced Section 28 (which David Cameron apologised for). Basically, schools weren't allowed to talk about homosexuality, meaning homophobic bullying went unchallenged by teachers. She said that "our children think they have an inalienable right to be gay", as if homosexuality was something you could learn, as if it was a choice, not the way you were born. And to pin such an accusation on children, confused and probably scared when coming to terms with such a life changing thing, was vile; what a twisted piece of legislation.

She sealed documents pertinent to the Hillsborough Disaster, in order to protect the police and hide corruption; it took 23 years for the truth to come out and it's still unfolding. The deaths of 96 people were covered up, because Thatcher despised football as a working class game and she supported the same type of police brutality that suppressed our democratic right to peacefully protest. Indeed, during protests police officers would actively stir up trouble, by disguising themselves as civilians and encouraging riots, so that they could literally batter down dissent at Thatcher's behest.

She stood by and allowed Bobby Sands to starve to death. Whatever your view on the rights and wrongs of Sands' protest, her stubborn refusal to engage in dialogue and negotiation resulted in massive recruitment for the IRA, which led to a surge in the Troubles and bombings in England. And what was it that brought about The Good Friday Agreement 17 years later? Oh that's right, dialogue and negotiation.

And speaking of starving, she starved education and healthcare of money, to the point where school resources were pitiful and the NHS was a joke. Labour may have had to tender some of education and the NHS out to the private sector, but having parents who are teachers and working in the NHS myself, I'm proud of most of our schools and hospitals these days, although we never get to hear about the good stuff in the media. It's a cruel slap in the face when you think that Thatcher got to live out the end of her life in the bloody Ritz, whilst on her watch, there were pensioners dying on trolleys in hospital corridors because of a shortage of beds and staff.

Finally, she privatised vast swathes of the country, meaning bus fares, rail fares, gas bills, electricity bills, water bills, stamps and fuel to name a few items, are unaffordable to many.

And so to her economic policies, those that the Conservatives would have you believe saved Britain. Yes, well, successive governments, Tory and Labour, have continued with Thatcher's economics and now, when we have nothing left to trade, because she sold it all abroad, no money in the pot and we have become that Nation of Shopkeepers (or at least shopworkers) that Napoleon described, we can see her economic legacy for what it really is: Sell off anything potentially valuable, live like kings for a few years (or at least allow the South East to do so) and then, when the money runs out, shrug and blame someone else.

She was a Libertarian; she famously said "there is no such thing as society" and proceeded to dismantle it for the next 11 years. Now the press, especially the right wing press, lament the 'me, me, me' generation, but it's Thatcher's bloody fault. She thought nothing of riding roughshod over anyone who stood in her way and encouraged others to do the same, she sought money and power in order to plug it all back into Westminster and big business. She expressed no remorse for the lives lost on her watch, no empathy for the victims of her policies, no interest in any of the UK outside London and no love for anyone but herself; the only time she shed a tear was when her own party booted her out of Number 10 and even her own daughter said she was a poor mother. Indeed, it was telling that her family weren't even in the country when she died and, as Morrissey points out, her son is a convicted criminal and arms dealer, whilst her daughter was booted off the BBC for being racist.

So, thanks again Morrissey for at least trying to be a sensible voice in a country gone mad. However, the Tories and the press will stick with this revisionist agenda; the left wing press are too frightened and downtrodden by the government and the Daily Mail to tell the truth, whilst the right wing press are being typically dictatorial about it all. And as for the government themselves, well, they have to pretend that every word they say about Thatcher is true; they can't admit that the reason they love the woman is because she was callous, because her only concerns were how to fund and maintain power and keep her public subservient. Thatcher spoke like the Queen (using the royal 'we' in her speeches) because she saw herself as all powerful, as ruling over naughty children who disagreed with her and therefore she would crush their dissent like the royalty of old. No wonder the actual Queen didn't like her; she may have turned out for the funeral, but Elizabeth II was not a fan of Maggie, though you'll have to look hard in the press to find that out.

Overall, Margaret Thatcher was a pertinacious sociopath and the fact our government today spent £10million of our taxes burying her, in a remarkably similar manner to the way we honoured Churchill, leaves a bitter taste. However, if any good does come of this, it will be that opinion in the UK moves a bit further to the Left, even if the media and the authorities are trying to restrict our democratic rights in the name of 'respect'. As Thatcher found out to her cost, stamping down so hard on a nation used to freedom won't work; we will rise up and take back what is rightfully ours.

And so rejoice, the lady’s not returning.

Viva Truth! Viva Hate! Viva Morrissey!

Great is that!

Morrissey's absolutely right about the BBC though. They tut at Pussy Riots imprisonment in Russia and then ban Ding Dong The Witch Is Dead on their own radio station. It's so farcical. The BBC are corrupt.

Great is that!

2qk4je9.jpg

P.

As an American, I understand your anguish and frustration today; however, one of the biggest complaints about Americans is that we tend to presume that our news, our tragedies are the most important events in the world. In addition to the Boston bombings and Thatcher's funeral, there was a massive earthquake on the Pakistan/Iran border, but that received little attention because it happened to "those people" (not my personal sentiment, just an observation of accepted public perception) I am not in any way being insulting, I am just trying to show that it is human nature to respond to the events that affect you most directly, and that is what Morrissey did.

As for those who attacked his style of writing, please remember that this is an outpouring of emotion from a songwriter, not a scholarly journal submission, or a thesis paper, or even a newspaper article (which of course would have been written using grade school vocabulary). When Morrissey ventures into prose or essay writing, he does tend to get wordy, or, as our resident English majors would state, his every utterance seems to be replete with intricate verbiosity; however, that in no way negates his message. This was not the time to worry about sentence structure or punctuation; he is using the stream of consciousness approach to writing, which has been employed by some of the greatest literary figures.

Some say it's not his place to make this commentary; but what is more admirable, sending an unfiltered, heart-felt message or sitting silent? Silence addresses nothing, it changes nothing. I cannot comment on Thatcherism, but I do know the detrimental effects of Reagan politics that continue on long after his departure. One of the worst consequences of that era is the loss of media integrity. It is acceptible to make celebrities out of talentless, mindless, vapid, useless human beings; yet, it is no longer allowable to show the coffins of soldiers who lost their lives in an endless war that we are supposed to pretend doesn't exist. The 1980's forced censorship on the public, and unfortunately, complacency and mass apathy are the result. I admire Morrissey's passion; I pray that he takes these emotions and does what he does best, translates them into concise, yet profoundly impactful song lyrics, not venmous attacks, but thoughtful, heart-felt expressions that inspire us to look for "the glass hidden in the grass."

lynnda

Very nice. ;)

First & formost, Thank Gawd for Morrissey, again & again. Amen

Next, I hate to get involved on this site but it is a voice.

I totally agree with all that Stephen expresses. He talks sense & the total truth about Thatcher. Please let me elaborate.....

I also was born & raised in Manchester, Sale was not far from Stretford, Manchester, England - Myself & my 10 siblings had a very similar upbringing to Morrissey, of that i am sure! My childhood was very old fashioned & sometimes happy!

Ok 1979, Thatcher gets into No 10 - free milk & free dinners to schools & to the poor STOP! The implications on a child's nutrition & health are enormous.

As i went through my teens, i hibernated in my bedroom, away from the world of WHAM, and Thatcher's society of Yuppies, greed & ME, ME, ME people - it said absolutely nothing to me! I engrossed myself in art & many self portraits. After some hard graft, i got a degree of sorts - although, according to the new class system survey - i am still Traditional Working Class - oh & there is diddy little me thinking that i am classless - shame on me!

Of course today , all the toffs were wheeled out & then back in again, and God was mentioned again & again & again, as if that makes it right!

My observation is, not a single tear was shed - speaks volumes!

Thatcher created a monster, which carries on & on .......... Greed & self obsession personified.

People may have wealth but are absolutely nothing without health & morals.

Just saying.

Thank you Morrissey. Glad to know that there are at least a few artists in the public eye with the guts to speak out about this hideous revisionism. If you're from the UK and have half a brain you'll know that over the past week we've been living in some Orwellian nightmare, where the media (even those on the Left) have adopted this tone of hushed respect for Thatcher and somehow rewritten her legacy as a feminist icon and deified leader, as if her 'conviction' politics was something to be admired. Well, here's a history lesson, for those who don't know much about her:

...Overall, Margaret Thatcher was a pertinacious sociopath and the fact our government today spent £10million of our taxes burying her, in a remarkably similar manner to the way we honoured Churchill, leaves a bitter taste. However, if any good does come of this, it will be that opinion in the UK moves a bit further to the Left, even if the media and the authorities are trying to restrict our democratic rights in the name of 'respect'. As Thatcher found out to her cost, stamping down so hard on a nation used to freedom won't work; we will rise up and take back what is rightfully ours.

And so rejoice, the lady’s not returning.

Viva Truth! Viva Hate! Viva Morrissey!

This is the best comment I've read since she died. Thank you.
Obama has, quite sensibly, had nothing to do with this nonsense, only Cheney, Kissinger and, ahem, Michelle Bachman representing the Americans. That's how respected she was Not even a token Bush. Hilarious. Not ONCE has the BBC mentioned the failure of the American Establishment to 'respect' this ridiculous woman, as to do so would shatter the cosy consensus that the world gives a damn. I guess it's another good advert for heritage theme park Britain, one of our few industries left. Tourism, soon to be "cheap holidays in other people's misery" when our economy collapses.

The Queen has made a catastrophic error of judgement in endorsing the fraudulent 'ceremonial' funeral which was presented as a fully-fledged State funeral. She has disgraced herself and both the Telegraph and Dianne Abbott are asking what protocol precedent allowed for the Queen to attend? None. The Queen has just been awarded a 20% rise in her Benefits whilst Minimum Wage increases by 1%.

When the dust settles Thatcher will be seen as ruined. Her reputation as a 'capitalist' destroyed by her pillaging the public purse for her own funeral. Shameless, much more so than the fictional Gallaghers.

All that was missing was an Elton John tune reworked for the occassion. After the Trafalgar Square Redux celebration of 2000 people at the weekend "Saturday Night's Allright For Fighting" would have been appropriate. Fight Thatcher. Fight crypto-fascist neoliberal banksters and their Stockholm Syndrome colluding politician friends. Occupy Thatcher's Grave. Bring garlic and a wooden stake.

In scenes resembling an episode of Mr Bean, we tried to set fire to her effigy on top of Worcestershire Beacon tonight but my glasses blew off, the wind stopped us being Firestarters, twisted Firestarters, then we got lost on the way down, confused by new fencing. It was all a bit of a lulz-fest, but we'll burn another one in the forest nearby after Newsnight.

Once again 'Trouble loves me', thanks for such a panoramic and expert summary of the reign of Thatcher, the Neoliberal Queen. The Queen is dead. One down, one to go...

Dear Morrissey is becoming lost to us. It was a great deal of rambling about the obvious, little else. It's even a bit frightening, perhaps that rubbish blog is him after-all. This is his good-bye, I sadly surmise, he's planning to top himself soon.

Ah Hah! Conspiracy theory alert. Go on then, tell us the truth about 9/11, OKC or Pussy cats running the planet, I dare you.

conspiracy theory? you are :crazy:

1. 9/11 - read books, read, and most importantly READ books - to what? building detonations, etc. and actually more important than that, use COMMON SENSE :straightface: but if you believe everything that is said to you from FAUX NEWS, BNN, BSNBC - there's no hope for you.:mock:

2. OKC - refer to 1.

I bet you BELIEVE you're not a moron...
..I bet you BELIEVE you're not a bona fide Jack:censored: ....oh but you are one! You are just like the bootleg trader Angel Everett, who flat out refused to trade out the soundboard (via in-house VHS source) of the Morrissey Greek Theatre (LA) 19997 show, unless he got his just do, meaning $$$ - and what happened to that debacle? it got leaked anyway, probably from him because no one wanted to give that PUTO any money for something like that, reminds me also of a DEPECHE MODE trader "SLICKMODE" - Wait a tick, WOW, you really are in "great" company there VIVA - :rolleyes:

Johnny Barleycorn is actually one of the most insightful, intelligent, and articulate posters on this site. And EVERYTHING he has written thus far--that I have read--is arguably more carefully constructed than this last statement penned by Morrissey. You just don't like the messages he is offering up.

Stream of consciousness writing can be effective in certain formats--first person narratives, poems... but not in a blog post that is going to be picked over by legions of long-term fans and possibly the press. Writing for the sake permanence is different from writing for a personal diary. This last post of his reads like the latter--a cathartic, overlong paragraph of thoughts strung together with silly string. Sorry. But it's true.

i had no problem understanding it. the message is the point.

And so let the media bashing begin. It's so very easy when things are not reported the way we would like to say "it were the media that done did it". As one side complains of bias, simultaneously the other side will glaring point the finger with the same accusation. It's easily to be blind to the times when our views are broadcast, preferring to only recognise that which we disagree. Only last night did the BBC news feature politicians calling such a lavish funeral ludicrous and undeserved. It's easy to ignore that and continue to yell "BIAS!" because it supports theories held dear.

Again, the media is lumped in together. I hate to break it to you kids but there isn't a matrix that we plug into at the end of the night. Special cookies laced with barbiturates aren't passed around at nightly underground meetings to make us more susceptible to the Leader's message. The 'Media' is compromised of many people just like you. We are not robots. Articles, news pieces, programmes are all a result of experiences borne by the individual. Unfortunately a valid criticism that is often mounted is that the media tends to be comprised of white, middle class males. It's true. If anything this is the great failing of the mainstream media. And so what is reflected is the world seen through those eyes.

A great conspiracy is baseless. To report that the 'Ding Dong' failed to reach number one is the correct way to state that fact. After all, wasn't that the aim? Shouldn't it be reported in that context? To report that the song succeeded in reaching number two would mean editorialising the news which of course would only lead to more grumbling - this time of a left wing bias.

Admittedly, my own personal feelings is that the BBC treated the whole debacle badly. In trying to please everyone, they pleased no one. But that is the great failing of the BBC. It is there to speak for everyone. Its remit is not to be controversial or to provoke. That was the breach that Channel 4 once tried to embrace. The BBC's role is not to be anti-establishment. It is there to provide information impartially. You will find very few polemics there. It is to inform, educate and entertain. On the whole it takes the view that it is there to reflect the voice of the majority. That's where the problem lies. Unfortunately Morrissey fans, the majority of this country is not anti-establishment. Thatcher was genuinely loved by many. She was voted in three times by the electorate. Her popularity amongst Middle England should not come as a surprise. Additionally, time has also dulled the memories of a great many leaving them a fondness for the UK's first female PM.

You may not agree with them but they are there. The situation we are left to deal with is a mix of social conventions which dictate it is tasteless to speak ill of the dead, twenty plus years to let bygones be bygones and a broadcasting corporation who always, always, always errs on the side of the inoffensive.

With all that said, this will fall on deaf ears and people will continue as on the path they feel most comfortable. Don't let the truth get in the way.

The BBC capitulated to right-wing press pressure. They banned a 50 second children's song, playing 5 seconds and then 'explaining' why the public had made an error of judgement in putting it at no 2 in the charts. For an organisation that facilitated Savile's crimes and is now in the dock for enethical and dangerous behaviour to obtain controversial footage from North Korea, it is simply pathetic for them to try and claim balance and impartiality. They have trashed their brand, hoping they will get more licence fee hikes in return. The publicly funded BBC fawning to a publicly funded monarchy and a public funded funeral for a 'capitalist' ex-PM is the end of their credibility. The Fourth Estate, in general, has also disgraced themselves. It's irrelevant if those protesting are a minority, that's the whole point of freedom of speech. For it to be censored by a bunch of middle-class West London toss pots is just comical. Pathetic organisation.

Some years ago, around the time of Britpop, it seemed that along with lad and ladette culture we also started to lionise stupidity and a lack of even basic knowledge became something to be proud of. There was a time Morrissey would have agreed broadly with that view. Now he seems to have given up and joined in.

I went to see Titanic when it came out with my then girlfriend. I dropped her back at home, which she shared with a friend. We were asked what we thought of it, to which I replied "Yeah, it was OK. It got better when it sank.", to which her friend replied angrily "Don't tell me! I'm going to see it on Saturday night!"

Thing is... I don't care greatly how people spell or punctuate but I think it's fair comment to point out to those who seemingly cannot write English as it should be written that they may not be the best people to judge the increasingly inane ramblings of a fading pop star.

Time and again on this site we see people react to his fact-free meanderings as if they were the sermon on the mount. As a few people have pointed out the more statements Morrissey publishes the more he reveals himself to be very far from the literate intellectual he has spent the last thirty years pretending to be.

Why is it that nearly every word of yours, in this particular thread, is bloody bang-on? I'm impressed. Are you good-looking? We'd get on beautifully! If only you were here in Calgary to hang out with me, you'd love my Queer Magenta walls (a custom colour I fashioned for my wee self, because anything other would have been too boring for somebody as brilliant & beautiful as me).

Last edited:
First & formost, Thank Gawd for Morrissey, again & again. Amen

Next, I hate to get involved on this site but it is a voice.

I totally agree with all that Stephen expresses. He talks sense & the total truth about Thatcher. Please let me elaborate.....

I also was born & raised in Manchester, Sale was not far from Stretford, Manchester, England - Myself & my 10 siblings had a very similar upbringing to Morrissey, of that i am sure! My childhood was very old fashioned & sometimes happy!

Ok 1979, Thatcher gets into No 10 - free milk & free dinners to schools & to the poor STOP! The implications on a child's nutrition & health are enormous.

As i went through my teens, i hibernated in my bedroom, away from the world of WHAM, and Thatcher's society of Yuppies, greed & ME, ME, ME people - it said absolutely nothing to me! I engrossed myself in art & many self portraits. After some hard graft, i got a degree of sorts - although, according to the new class system survey - i am still Traditional Working Class - oh & there is diddy little me thinking that i am classless - shame on me!

Of course today , all the toffs were wheeled out & then back in again, and God was mentioned again & again & again, as if that makes it right!

My observation is, not a single tear was shed - speaks volumes!

Thatcher created a monster, which carries on & on .......... Greed & self obsession personified.

People may have wealth but are absolutely nothing without health & morals.

Just saying.

Why do you care that you are classed as traditional working class or anything else? Why does it matter what artificial grouping a few professors at Manchester University and the LSE decide you fit into? You are you and it seems by your talent and assiduity you have prevailed. That's the idea isn't it? Do you really want the state poking its nose into your business? I can't think of anything worse.

I agree that self-obsession is now a national disease but this narcissism is apparent at all levels of society. It is as much a problem in the estates of the inner cities as it is on the Estates of the landed gentry. It is a human failing which seems to me to be being fuelled not by some woman who left office a generation ago, but by the media's continual lauding of the distinctly average as being somehow very special, via news that is now infotainment and cheap reality shows.

Talking of which, today I was sent a link from the toe-curling Britain's Got Talent this past weekend in which a girl of ten, with a decent voice, I concede, belted out some song or other telling the nation who precisely had f***ed her until the early hours of the morning, and that he had "one night only" in which to have his wicked way with her. This post-Savile. I'm far from a prude, and I don't expect her to sing "Animal crackers in my soup", but come on.

Thatcher is the great demon. I get it. But it seems to me that in many cases this has been handed down from father to son like a folk memory. Just as tales of Grendel or the Baba Yaga were told to get unruly children to behave. It's the easiest thing in the world to sit on your arse and blame everything that has ever gone wrong in your life on someone else. In fact it is becoming a national pastime. Morrissey is actually a very fine example of this new Britain. Perhaps the finest. None of his woes are ever his fault.

We used to have an Empire, you know.

Last edited:
Why is it that nearly every word of yours, in this particular thread, is bloody bang-on? I'm impressed. Are you good-looking? We'd get on beautifully! If only you were here in Calgary to hang out with me, you'd love my Queer Magenta walls (a custom colour I fashioned for my wee self, because anything other would have been too boring for somebody as brilliant & beautiful as me).

Gosh.

I couldn't tell you if I was good looking or not. I look in the mirror and there's no-one there.

Johnny Barleycorn is actually one of the most insightful, intelligent, and articulate posters on this site. And EVERYTHING he has written thus far--that I have read--is arguably more carefully constructed than this last statement penned by Morrissey. You just don't like the messages he is offering up.

Stream of consciousness writing can be effective in certain formats--first person narratives, poems... but not in a blog post that is going to be picked over by legions of long-term fans and possibly the press. Writing for the sake permanence is different from writing for a personal diary. This last post of his reads like the latter--a cathartic, overlong paragraph of thoughts strung together with silly string. Sorry. But it's true.

I second this.

Benny the Butcher

The BBC capitulated to right-wing press pressure. They banned a 50 second children's song, playing 5 seconds and then 'explaining' why the public had made an error of judgement in putting it at no 2 in the charts.

You write "the public" as if this song was downloaded by half the population. It sold 35,000 copies in this nation of over sixty million. To put it into some context West Ham and Man U played in front of 34,600 tonight, and we wouldn't want that lot dictating the future direction of the country, would we?

Personally I think the Beeb should have played it in full, if only to placate the Tarquins and Portias of the Socialist Workers' Party, those fervent enemies of capitalism, armed only with their Marxist tracts, Daddy's Amex card and an Apple ID.

A luta continua!

Last edited:
Whilst Morrissey was scribing this, my hometown was being bombed by extremist lunatic(s). That puts things in perspective for me. Thatcher's funeral wasn't even a blip on anyone's radar around here yesterday, including all local media. I'd rather a TTY post re: the situation here in Boston, which is much more relevant and more appreciated.
The bombings were horrible, but in 30 years time will it not matter anymore what happened, who should care and talk about it? No it will still be a tradgedy. Yes i know it is something that is happening now but why does Morrissey have to carry the burden to write about it?

BTW I don't like the way you worded your comment, it's like 'me me me' 'whats happening where i am' 'peole should only talk about what is relevant to me', it's not all about you.

It's got nothing to do with being American or not. What it illustrates is that while he liberally accuses the media of wrongly focusing on and fawning over Will and Kate's new digs, or her morning sickness, when there are more more tragic things to report on, he chose to continue to beat the deadest of dead horses rather than lament a legitimate tragedy that happened at the same time, without it making a whit of difference to anyone in Thatcher's family or any of the British or Argentines aggrieved by Thatcher 20+ years ago. I'm not certain about his fan base in India or Pakistan, but 2000+ people who filled the Wang Center to capacity for him here in October may have appreciated a tip of the hat from him yesterday.

It's a horrible thing what happened, and you are right it has nothing to do with being American. However the original poster suggested otherwise, It was more of a response to that context, the whole world doesn't care about every little thing that goes on in America if they don't live there, which the way the posters coment was worded seemed they thought everyone does/should just in general, not neccissarily about this, just drop what your bothered about only on be concerned about what is happening to me or where i am.

I love Morrissey's music, but I'm tiring of a 1%-er bemoaning a system in which he himself benefits enormously and against which he only truly rebels lyrically. He has led a life of luxury and snobbery. And to complain that a relatively small crowd of rambunctious anti-Thatcherists did not get as much UK media attention as what's happening in Korea betrays a naive and shockingly uninformed view of the world. The cynic would say that Morrissey shall not move on from his obsession with Thatcher because he wants all of us to buy "Margaret on the Guillotine" on iTunes. Moreover, the Belgrano matter is rather tragic, but I ask everyone to look up the account of the Belgrano's captain, who provides a level-headed view of what happened. In the end, maybe what's truly burning Morrissey is that when the sad day comes and he takes his last breath, he will not receive the funeral provided to Thatcher.

I've read a bit of Chomsky. One of the things I like about him is how he divides what he is writing into paragraphs. Smart guy.

The lack of paragraphs and formatting were deeply disorientating. Someone here divided it into paragraphs. After that, it made perfect sense and did not seem to be incoherent or rambling.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom