Sycophants vs. Haters. Is it really that simple? How do you self-identify as a MORRISSEY fan now?

Sycophants vs. Haters. Is it really that simple? How do you self-identify as a MORRISSEY fan now?

• I disfavor Moz. I trend against him. But I can be objective sometimes, but not all times.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I f***ing HATE Morrissey. It doesn't matter what he does. I loathe him.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Re: Sycophants vs. Haters. Is it really that simple? How do you self-identify as a MORRISSEY fan no

'Other' - I favour Morrissey, but remain objective. (As detailed on Athens thread)

Re: Sycophants vs. Haters. Is it really that simple? How do you self-identify as a MORRISSEY fan no

I admire Morrissey, I have a great deal of love and respect for him. I also think he is one of the world's greatest musical artists....Yet I try to be objective and not let my fan-gushing over take my sensible thoughts ;)

I'm a sycophantic slag.

Other. I still like his music and I enjoy his outrageous rants, not in a sycophantic way but as pure entertainment. I agree with some of what he says, less so other things but he's never boring.

....and I don't give a damn because what I think about Morrissey only matters to me (and my own selective, little universe) and to no one else since it has no impact on the lives of strangers.

Cheers!

Despite the world wide addoration,i agree that,for each individual,morrissey meansings specific to them,but makes the individual feel part a special relationship,shared by kindrid spirits !!!! {that all sounds a little deep.....but,you all know what i mean !!!}

i lean but can be objective. i came to morrissey as an adult so it more because he mirrored things that were already in my life. i wasnt looking for a trend setter any better than i

I voted for the "other" option.

I have a tremendous amount of respect for Morrissey as an artist. The depth and ambiguity of his lyrics as well as his ability to turn a phrase immediately appealed to me, and he was the first person I ever encountered who seemed to share my (often unpopular) views about so many subjects. His music has served as a steady guide through the tumult of life, and he has opened my mind to so many new ideas and ways of thinking.

However, I am not and never have been someone who subscribes to the notion that artistry begets inerrancy, and Morrissey has said and done a lot of things that deserve criticism.

I have seen many fans routinely make claims to the effect that Morrissey’s art is so compelling in part because he is an emotionally intense and mercurial person, and that his outbursts and erratic behavior should be met with blanket acceptance because if he were a different man, so too would be the music we love so much. I understand this rationale, but it is a romanticized ideal and a double standard that leads to the desperate justification of behavior that would not be so readily accepted if demonstrated by anyone deemed “lesser”. The belief that Morrissey is a special snowflake beyond reproach because of his status as an “artiste” is a deluded view that epitomizes the more problematic aspects of fan culture.

So many people seem incapable of separating the art from the man, or at least recognizing that there are more nuanced ways to approach fandom, e.g. recognizing that being critical of an artist one admires need not be seen as a betrayal and does not diminish the positive impact of said artist's work.

I have seen many fans routinely make claims to the effect that Morrissey’s art is so compelling in part because he is an emotionally intense and mercurial person, and that his outbursts and erratic behavior should be met with blanket acceptance because if he were a different man, so too would be the music we love so much. I understand this rationale, but it is a romanticized ideal and a double standard that leads to the desperate justification of behavior that would not be so readily accepted if demonstrated by anyone deemed “lesser”. The belief that Morrissey is a special snowflake beyond reproach because of his status as an “artiste” is a deluded view that epitomizes the more problematic aspects of fan culture.

So many people seem incapable of separating the art from the man, or at least recognizing that there are more nuanced ways to approach fandom, e.g. recognizing that being critical of an artist one admires need not be seen as a betrayal and does not diminish the positive impact of said artist's work.

Bravo!

New vocabulary term: Tsengophants

The division is really between those people who have the normal affection for an artist they admire, and those who have a very abnormal devotion to a jilted fan who provides them with a platform for harassment.

I have a tremendous amount of respect for Morrissey as an artist. The depth and ambiguity of his lyrics as well as his ability to turn a phrase immediately appealed to me, and he was the first person I ever encountered who seemed to share my (often unpopular) views about so many subjects. His music has served as a steady guide through the tumult of life, and he has opened my mind to so many new ideas and ways of thinking.

However, I am not and never have been someone who subscribes to the notion that artistry begets inerrancy, and Morrissey has said and done a lot of things that deserve criticism.

If ever there was a misnomer for a profile name. Well-written. You encapsulated my position exactly but more elegantly.

I'm a sycophant of Morrissey the man and artist. I'm a slag of Morrissey the politician and character judge.

At the end if the day and stripping him of all fame and drama, I'm empathetic that he's afflicted w divinity and hope he knows he's not alone.

Well I will defend morrissey rite 2 the bitter end NO MATTER WHAT! and thats a fact!

He was there 4 me in my time of need and his music ect helped heal me and so others 2!

Theres only one thing which I can think of, which I can have slight diferences with and thats about zoos, yes its not kind or natural for these animals 2 be keep in zoos for the "entertainment" of people, circuses should be banned altogether! but unfortunatly many species of animals are now on the very verge of exstinction due 2 man, and there ONLY hope at this moment in time is 4 zoos and other places of conversation, 2 have breeding programs in order 2 ensure the species survival.

The alarming rate at which species are disappearing on this planet should set alarm bells ringing!!!!
Some top scientists and environmentalists have made predictions that species are become exstinct now at a far faster rate than at any time in earths history, far faster than when the dinosaurs disapeared!!!!! :(

But there is some good news, this unforgivable trend can and IS being reversed by the light workers amongst us ! :)

And morrissey is one of em! :)

rainforests cut down to graze cattle

best
BB

And oil which often goes into vegetarian meals. Being an ethical eater is a minefield.

Yes, indeed. MIDNITE has written about Palm Oil. It's a terrible situation.

best
BB

watch out for the Stearic acid, just sayin

I agree with you. I favor Morrissey. I lean that way. But I can be objective, sometimes, but not all times. Thanks for elaborating on that poll choice with eloquence and elegance.

Of course he does and has, no one is innocent, were all flawed as human beings, every single one of us, morrissey included, and so "constructive" critisism can be a good thing of course it can!

But from my own viewpoint, I went thru a terrible time some years ago, It was a complete nitmare, I wont bore anyone with the details, but I use to listen 2 morrissey every single nite 4 years whilst doing this fantastic hobby that ive got , my world became safe again, his music and words help shed my tears, for that moz will allways have a place dear in my heart. :)

Well thats it, just thought Id share this little bit of personal info for what its worth.

But we move on and get over the past, and start 2 live again in the present and look forward 2 the future, time is one of the greatestest healers of all ! :)

I'm glad to read that things have improved for you and Morrissey helped you get through the bad times.

best
BB

Very fascinating discussion.

Back
Top Bottom