Tell us about the last concert/show you attended? (Non-Morrissey Edition)

Giselle

wasted 8 of her 9 lives.
There's a thread here (http://www.morrissey-solo.com/threads/63016-What-concert-show-are-you-going-to-go-to-next)
about what shows/concerts are we looking forward to. It's always quite interesting to read about what shows are on you guys' radars.

But how were those shows?

Besides Morrissey shows, which are covered extensively on the main page, feel free to review concerts/shows/club dates you've attended. Post setlists, pictures, musings, etc...

Last edited:
I saw Rammstein and Foster The People in Atlanta. Both were excellent shows. Rammstein is very over the top. But if you are a fan you love it. A lot of pyros, lights, fire, make up and so on. I was in the mosh pit and loved it. Foster The People have a lot of energy. They played most or maybe all the songs from Torches, and some I didn't know. The audience was young. They payed no attention to the opening acts Kimbra or The Kooks who sound o.k. to me.

Phish: July 3 and 4 - It was phenomenal. And unlike a Morrissey concert (this is something I have complained about for years) Phish made sure on 7/4 not to repeat any songs in the setlist on 7/3. Both shows went to about three hours of actual playing time. I am seeing Morrissey later on this year for the first time in five years. Let's see if he has learned anything since then.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bruce Springsteen, Etihad Stadium, Manchester, 22/06/12

Absolutely incredible show. I've been waiting years to see Bruce and finally he's touring. Nearly three and a half hours. Morrissey could learn a thing or two. He changes up the setlist every night as well which is nice. Got one of my, what, top 3? songs played solo on the piano. Same feeling I got when I heard Mozzer do Speedway into I Know It's Over last year in Grimsby. You get the same sort of religious feeling within the crowd at Springsteen shows that you do with Morrissey. Anyway I'm still depressed it's over :o

I went to Chester rocks last month. I'm not a fan of festivals. Too many 'look at me' knobheads who are more concerned about being seen in their Wellingtons and oversized sunglasses on Facebook than the actual music. I don't get this having fairgrounds at festivals either. Anyways, I got free tickets as I was on the Courteeners guest list :thumb: and got to see Cast and Courtneeners in between paying £4 (bad) for a pints of strawberry and lime Rekordlig (good). Cast were good, as they have been any other time I've seen them. Courteeners were brilliant. I've seen them loads of times and they've certainly got a lot better over the years. I think most of the crowd were there to see them and were really up for it.

My husband & I went to see Tenacious D, at the Palladium Ballroom, in Dallas this past Friday night.
It was an all GA show, and we were at the very back row of the floor.Being a short gal myself, my sight of the stage was limited- thank goodness for the multiple video screens.

TD are a crowd pleasing band, and totally rocked out! They played all the hits from their last few albums and had enough gags and stage banter to roll eyes at for a while. :rolleyes: The set was an hour and a half, and they did 3 songs as encores.:guitar:

They had one of the least subtle :blushing: backdrops that one could imagine, but was all done with a wink and a nod.
At the end of the concert, it even "exploded", dispensing confetti over the heads of the first 10 rows or so. :p

Just got back from an INCREDIBLE Grandaddy show. They broke up in 2006 and just got back together, tonight was their 4th show since reuniting and they were killing it, the setlist was mostly Sumday and Sophtware Slump favorites. Kind of blew my mind because I was expecting some off the Jambly Cat album but it was old school Grandaddy. The encore was a Pavement cover the title of which escapes me because my brain was so tired by that point. ANyway, if you're a Grandaddy fan in Europe, they mentioned they were leaving in a couple of days to tour there, there's a number of festivals AND they play only two NON festival shows during the tour, both in England, the Ritz in Manchester on Aug 29th and one in London Sept 4, Shepard's Bush or something. I cannot recommend enough that you check them out.

7780058554_7baf37b1be_z.jpg

7780058108_e460253f91_z.jpg

(And a fun thing :D, I got a quiet shoutout (unknowing as always, but it made me lol.) There was a silence between songs and some drunk guy yelled out "Grandaddy!" and the guitarist yelled back "Dude!" Everyone laughed. Then Jason Lytle said something along the lines of "We're on our way to Europe, we can't be saying 'dude'. They say 'geezer' there." He said it a few times over and over. THen they busted into Crystal Lake. :D I love that stuff.)

The Exponents in Timaru a few months back. Anyone heard of them?

Just got back from an INCREDIBLE Grandaddy show. They broke up in 2006 and just got back together, tonight was their 4th show since reuniting and they were killing it, the setlist was mostly Sumday and Sophtware Slump favorites. Kind of blew my mind because I was expecting some off the Jambly Cat album but it was old school Grandaddy. The encore was a Pavement cover the title of which escapes me because my brain was so tired by that point. ANyway, if you're a Grandaddy fan in Europe, they mentioned they were leaving in a couple of days to tour there, there's a number of festivals AND they play only two NON festival shows during the tour, both in England, the Ritz in Manchester on Aug 29th and one in London Sept 4, Shepard's Bush or something. I cannot recommend enough that you check them out.

7780058554_7baf37b1be_z.jpg

7780058108_e460253f91_z.jpg

(And a fun thing :D, I got a quiet shoutout (unknowing as always, but it made me lol.) There was a silence between songs and some drunk guy yelled out "Grandaddy!" and the guitarist yelled back "Dude!" Everyone laughed. Then Jason Lytle said something along the lines of "We're on our way to Europe, we can't be saying 'dude'. They say 'geezer' there." He said it a few times over and over. THen they busted into Crystal Lake. :D I love that stuff.)

Love Grandaddy can't wait to see the show.

Anna Calvi at the Sziget festival in Budapest. She was fantastic. Great voice, superb guitars, strong stage presence. Her cover of this song was new for me, and I really liked it, she's incredibly talented.

Dead Can Dance - Greek Theater - Berkeley......good show...their voices are as good live as they were 20 years or more ago on studio recordings...not many people can sound that good after all those years. Highlight of the show was Brendan Perry singing "Song to the Siren" during one of the three separate encores.

Dead Can Dance - Greek Theater - Berkeley......good show...their voices are as good live as they were 20 years or more ago on studio recordings...not many people can sound that good after all those years. Highlight of the show was Brendan Perry singing "Song to the Siren" during one of the three separate encores.

Oh, I'm so happy for you! :) It's good to hear that they still have "it". I'm gonna see them in October, 16 years after the first time I've seen them in Budapest. Can't wait!

I saw a Jason Lytle solo show tonight (Amazing.) and opening for them was the female duo Sea of Bees. Floored. So beautiful. I am kicking myself for buying a ticket to see them and going just for their opening act a few months ago, I had a tooth pulled that day and was tired and the theater was filling up with hipsters and I didn't want to deal with it... but they would've been worth it. I mention this in case an UKers are reading because they are doing a TON of dates in England in November. If you love harmonies and a very odd yet captivating voice, I highly recommend. Also the topics of the songs are VERY Moz reminiscent, longing for someone who isn't there.

I actually can't remember the last show I went to. I must have been drunk... I know it was in Birmingham or Tuscaloosa or something tho.
Actually, no, I finally remembered. It was Birmingham. friend's band and some other crap I don't remember because wasn't very memorable.

and I was drunk, yes...

Hopefully I'll be going to this, too!:

I made the flier. :blushing:

It's in Chattanooga if anyone here is close to Chattanooga and likes shitty-awesome punk music and getting drunk in a basement.

EDIT: I must have been more drunk than I realized. I also just remembered I "played" with my friends' band at the last show... I just did noise stuff with a delay pedal and my amp, though.

Last edited:
8160413107_933f2d5735_z.jpg

Just got back from seeing Emily Wells who opened for Dark, Dark, Dark at the Echoplex. I fell in love with her album "Mama" a month ago. Live she is all kinds of genius. I was stunned! She's like the ultimate one-man band. She's a classically trained violinist and builds these loops for every song, every one a builder which pushes every button in my brain. Then she;s controlling the loops with one foot pedal while keeping the bass with the other and playing drums and stopping and starting loops with her mallets. She plays guitar and strange little pianos you blow into. And on top of it? Her VOICE! OMG, building harmonies and layering them, all live in front of you. It was a phenomenal show, I can't wait to see her again. I'd say only 20% of her sound was prerecorded, she built all the loops on stage in front of a wildly enthusiastic crowd. Amazing show, check out Emily Wells next tour. Their last show is tomorrow in San Diego (she wanted to end in LA since she lives here and finally feels at home but they gotta do SD tomorrow) they did 27 shows in 30 days. :eek: But the energy tonight was amazing. GAH! Loved it. Love her. She's super cool and mellow too.

Found this on youtube today.

i saw kasabian in march and the cribs in june....f***ing hell, those bands know how to put on a f***ing show...i'm seeing Noel Gallagher thursday and i can't f***ing wait.

I went to Chester rocks last month. I'm not a fan of festivals. Too many 'look at me' knobheads who are more concerned about being seen in their Wellingtons and oversized sunglasses on Facebook than the actual music

That's the whole of Chester for you....Nobody is welcome.

Back
Top Bottom