tell us about the last Film you saw

Re: tell us about the last Film you saw.

Von Trier's Dancer In The Dark was a good one, but I couldn't stop crying at the end where Bjork dies. Breaking The Waves was also another good one, too. Emily Watson stole the show on that one.

Dancer in the Dark is my favourite film af all times. I have seen it three or four tims and sobbed my eyes out each time - and I'm not a crier!
I think he has a unique ability to reach the viewer on a deep emotional level. I have a friend who says that watching Breaking the Waves made her feel sick and she can never watch it again - but she thought it was brilliant. Only Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu comes close to that level of genius. Babel is also one of my all time favourites.

two-lovers-poster.jpg

I watched this this morning, decent drama, good performances. Found it a little difficult to find sympathy for the lead character as he his blatanty leading on two women at the same time. However, the reasons for him doing so were presented well and by the end of the film I was well hooked. I would say more but don't want to give away the ending.

Gas, Food, Lodging. 1992.

Gas%20food%20lodging.jpg

Great low-key family drama by Allison Anders. Set in Texas during the early 90's, teenager Faruiza Balk tries to improve her mother's relationships, while her sister gets into relationship troubles herself.

no_country_for_old_men_coen.jpg

I watched No Country For Old Men this evening with my poncey film-buff friend. :rolleyes: He thinks it's a masterpiece. At the risk of sounding like a twit, I couldn't grasp the plot until about forty minutes into the film, and even then there was an awful lot of 'What's he doing that for?', 'What's that about?', etc. It was very gripping though. I think I'd prefer the book.

no_country_for_old_men_coen.jpg

I watched No Country For Old Men this evening with my poncey film-buff friend. :rolleyes: He thinks it's a masterpiece. At the risk of sounding like a twit, I couldn't grasp the plot until about forty minutes into the film, and even then there was an awful lot of 'What's he doing that for?', 'What's that about?', etc. It was very gripping though. I think I'd prefer the book.

The book is great. He's a superb writer. Haven't seen the film.

Condorman!

I must try and remember to record David Leans 'This Happy Breed' on More 4 this Thursday i think.
It's a film that has eluded me (good going considering it came out in the 1940's) but something that I've wanted to watch.
Call me old fashioned.

Last edited:

Von Trier's Dancer In The Dark was a good one, but I couldn't stop crying at the end where Bjork dies. Breaking The Waves was also another good one, too. Emily Watson stole the show on that one.

Dancer in the Dark is my favourite film af all times. I have seen it three or four tims and sobbed my eyes out each time - and I'm not a crier!

Emily Watson was so insanely extraordinary in that movie. It definitely made the hair on the back on my neck stand on end. She's easily one of my favorites ever.

And not to mention that Bjork was quite extraordinary in her own right.

But ultimately, I feel the need to emphasize the point that you're all masochists. :p

TWO movies in one day, lazy summer days...
Bright Young Things, and
Starter for 10 - I just saw a post on here recently can't recall where, someone complaining about the Smiths' 'Please, Please, Please...' being overused in movies. Well I had to laugh to myself when sure enough it's in this movie as well!

Land of the Lost....good one for children.
Are you kidding? I didn't see it, but was told there were some scenes (breast groping to name one example), that didn't need to be in the movie. I do remember the original series though.

Condorman!

I must try and remember to record David Leans 'This Happy Breed' on More 4 this Thursday i think.
It's a film that has eluded me (good going considering it came out in the 1940's) but something that I've wanted to watch.
Call me old fashioned.

Old fashioned! :thumb:

funnypqk.jpg

I wasn't particularly keen on watching it because, let's face it, Sandler has sucked ass for quite some time now. But bite the bullet I did.

As I sat there in the theater, I kept waiting for that moment in the typical Sandler movie where it starts devolving into a steaming pile of shit, and circles the drain, but to my surprise, that moment never came. I kid you not. The movie was actually very decent. And in my opinion, Sandler gave his best acting performance ever. Leslie Mann and Eric Bana were also fantastic...although Seth Rogen...not so much. The story, while not unique, was cohesive. And not to mention that it has plenty of laugh out loud moments even though it does have more drama than what one might expect from a movie titled Funny People. I give it the official McLovin seal of approval. :thumb:

my insomnia has really got a hold of me and i haven't slept in 2 days. i've been lying down at night watching movies and trying to sleep. it's not working. anyway, here's what i've watched.

choke-6/10
kung fu hustle-8/10
the bird with the crystal plumage-7/10
the hangover-7/10
a la folie...pas du tout-8/10
timecrimes-8/10
my life with morrissey-(a generous)3/10
inside-9/10

But ultimately, I feel the need to emphasize the point that you're all masochists. :p

You are probably right. But I do like happy films too. Lukas Moodyssons "Together" (Tilsammans) and "Show Me Love" (f***ing Åmål) are favourites of mine aswell. Both of them have such happy endings it is almost unbearable. If you don't mind subtitles I highly, highly recommend them.

B00005JKOI.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I just watched Pretty In Pink with my sister, to honor the late John Hughes. It's about a female angsty teenager from the "wrong side of the tracks" who must choose the romances between a childhood friend Duckie, or the wealthy popular Blane. It's the "Cinderella" story set in the New Wave era, called the '80s.

You are probably right. But I do like happy films too. Lukas Moodyssons "Together" (Tilsammans) and "Show Me Love" (f***ing Åmål) are favourites of mine aswell. Both of them have such happy endings it is almost unbearable. If you don't mind subtitles I highly, highly recommend them.

Love foreign films. Some of my favorite movies ever. I'll definitely put them on the queue.

33925583.jpg

District 9. Certainly, an interesting film, and worth watching I suppose. It's gotten rave reviews, but I don't rate it quite as high as others. I'll give it 7.5/10.

Semi-spoilers: It changes from mockumentary to action/drama. Sufficient enough blood, gore and general grossness that I stopped eating my popcorn after about 15 minutes. The main actor was flat-out annoying in the beginning (and by design, I guess), but I must admit that he became a sympathetic character. One could draw comparisons with Cloverfield, but this one's better imo.

I just watched Pretty In Pink with my sister, to honor the late John Hughes. It's about a female angsty teenager from the "wrong side of the tracks" who must choose the romances between a childhood friend Duckie, or the wealthy popular Blane. It's the "Cinderella" story set in the New Wave era, called the '80s.

Is it just me, or does pretty much nothing happen in that film? It's still amazing, though, even if I didn't go much on her "pretty" dress at the end. I'm never quite sure if films like this are incredibly cliched, or are actually the films which set up the cliches.

I do prefer some of the other Brat Pack films, however.

Orphan - family suffer a still-birth, so then adopt a very bright Russian girl, who is a bit of a loner. Things then start going very wrong and very bloody. It's a really well directed and acted horror film from director Jaume Collet-Serra, with good performances from all involved. Recommended.

A Perfect Getaway - Steve Zahn, Timothy Ollyphant and Milla Jovovich star in this thriller about a newly wed couple who honeymoon in Hawaii, only to find that there's a murderous couple on their island. I won't elaborate as it'll spoil things. Worth a look.

"Party Girl"

I love Parker Posey in that movie!

Tags
film movies
Back
Top Bottom