tell us about the last Film you saw

Re: tell us about the last Film you saw.

wings_of_desire.jpg

That film is so lovely! Very cleverly done, as well.

I saw it in such a strange way, though - my best friend and I wanted to go to the cinema, and that was the best-looking thing on, so we went to see it with no preconceptions. This was last year.
It was only when I looked it up on Wikipedia when I got home that I realised it was from about 1988 (I had thought that the concert footage of a very young-looking Nick Cave had been seamlessly segued in, though).
I still have no idea why it was on at the cinema :confused:

[
200px-Revolutionary_road.jpg

Revolutionary Road - Sam Mendes directs his wife, Kate Winslet and Leo DiCaprio in this adaptation of Richard Yates's 1961 novel. From the start the viewer knows that all is sour with the marriage of April and Frank. They live in a nice, suburban area of Connecticut with two kids, but cannot stand each other. Things get worse when the dream of emigrating to Paris collapses hopelessly. The story shows the disintegration of their relationship and their inability to deal with it. Very strong performances from the two leads, that outshine the actual story. Worth seeing.

I agree with you, it's a beautiful movie, no happy end though, no lessons learnt, no catharsis. It's just terribly sad, it made me cry, and it'll be haunting me for days.

Last film I saw was Snow Cake.

79480-large.jpg

Alan Rickman picks up a 19 year old hitchhiker. Tells her he just got out of jail (the reason unfolds as the movie progresses). He gets into an accident and the girl dies. He finds the mother (Sigourney Weaver) who has autism, and ends up staying with her a few days because she insists that he has to take out the garbage and plan the funeral. There's a lot of self discovery and such. Quite funny.

Sounds a bit mundane, but it isn't.

20050908tj_FcMokp_jSM_v7ow5a5b7kx2_YEM.jpg

Michael Laemie (played by Brian Madorsky) is a young boy living in a typical 1950's suburbanite home... except for his bizarre and horrific nightmares, and continued unease around his parents. Especially his father, Nick Laemie (played by Randy Quaid). Young Michael begins to suspect his parents are cooking more than just hamburgers on the grill outside, but has trouble explaining his fears to his new-found friend Sheila, or the school's social worker.

This movie is disturbing. I haven't been scared by a horror movie in a long time, and this made it hard for me to sleep at night. It looks like it's a horror-comedy--it's even shelved in the comedy section at the place I rented it at--but its mood is much more subdued than I would have expected. It doesn't have a silly atmosphere like Motel Hell or Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2. Horror movies with cannibalism are always the most disturbing to me, but I thought I wouldn't be too bothered by this because I didn't think it would be so straight-forward.

But the sets are costumes are really cool.

Salvador-Puig-Antich.jpg

This movie transports us back in time to the era of the Spanish Franco dictatorship. The film tells the story of Salvador Puig Antich, one of the last political prisoners to be murdered by the Franco regime in 1974. He is an anarchist involved in armed bank robberies and when they finally catch him, a policeman dies in a shootout. However, he never receives a fair trial and the method of execution they apply for him is nothing short of barbaric. The garrotte, once a standard device for execution in Spain, resembles a medieval torture instrument where the delinquent is strangled with an iron collar. Salvador's execution is shown in the movie, but it isn't done in a sensationalist way. Much more haunting to watch is the period before it happens – the desperate tries to save Salvador's life by his lawyer and the last visits by his sisters. It's largely thanks to the protagonist that the film works so well on the emotional level. Daniel Brühl, one of the finest actors working in Europe today, is wonderful when it comes to convey the feelings of the doomed young prisoner. He says more with only a look or a small raise of an eyebrow than many an actor could with a long speech. The scenes when Salvador realizes that he'll be facing death, when he bids farewell to his sisters and first sees the murderous machine are especially powerful and exquisitely acted.

Last edited by a moderator:

All the Queen's Men, hilarious about men in drag trying to debunct a situation in WWII.

All the Queen's Men, hilarious about men in drag trying to debunct a situation in WWII.

eddie izzard was in that :)
also, last nite i watched:
Bender%27s_Game.jpg

its the third of the four direct-to-DVD Futurama films
and i like it the best out of the 3 so far :guitar:
however, the show never should have been canceled in the 1st place :cool:

The Pineapple Express

PineappleExpress.jpg

Cast: Seth Rogan (who helped write it with Judd Apatow & others), James Franco, Gary Cole, Rosie Perez and Danny McBride -among others like Bill Hader (SNL) and Ed Begley, Jr. I loved Franco & McBride in it! Also, Craig Robinson (Darryl from the Office) plays one of the bad guys and he was one of the best characters! :cool:

Lazy court-process clerk and stoner Dale Denton has only one reason to visit his equally lazy dealer Saul Silver: to purchase weed, specifically, a rare new strain called Pineapple Express. But when Dale becomes the only witness to a murder by a crooked cop and the city's most dangerous drug lord, he panics and dumps his roach of Pineapple Express at the scene. Dale now has another reason to visit Saul: to find out if the weed is so rare that it can be traced back to him--and it is. As Dale and Saul run for their lives, they quickly discover that they're not suffering from weed-fueled paranoia: incredibly, the bad guys really are hot on their trail and trying to figure out the fastest way to kill them both. All aboard the Pineapple Express!

I thought at first it was going to be just a silly stoner movie (it was and still funny) and then it actually became a dark comedy. The story was complex for what started out as a lighthearted flick. It was funny at times and typical Set Rogan stuff, but then there were quality killings & stuff that were pretty graphic. It was a really different movie overall-I liked it.

Last edited:

Chokeposter.jpg

its really different from the book, but i really liked it
i think the casting was utterly brilliant and it has renewed my adoration of
kelly-macdonald.jpg

Kelly Macdonald :bow:

kelly-macdonald.jpg

Kelly Macdonald :bow:

I stood next to her in a post office a few years ago.

she had more clothes on at the time

216126.1010.A.jpg

I watched this movie last night. Breaking The Waves tells a heartwarming/heartbreaking tale of free-spirited and devoted Christian Scotswoman who marries an oil rig worker, much to the dismay of her community Calvinist church. After her husband leaves her for the oil platform and becomes injured and paralyzed after an accident, her life changes forever. While being paralyzed, her husband "brainwashes" her by telling her to have sex with different men, until something tragic happens.

FrostNixon325.jpg

Enjoyed it more than I had expected, having heard some pretty patchy reviews from friends. Frank Langella is my pick for Best Actor at the Oscars, although I am yet to see Richard Jenkins or Mickey Rourke. Can't help but feel that it went easy on both characters in the end, and I don't think that there's any need to make the audience feel sorry for Nixon in the end when he's offering champagne and caviar to his visitors while he should probably be serving a jail term. Michael Sheen and Kevin Bacon also excellent, and Rebecca Hall doesn't put in the same cringeworthy performance as in Vicky Cristina Barcelona.

I stood next to her in a post office a few years ago.

she had more clothes on at the time
i envy thee :blushing:
&
216126.1010.A.jpg

I watched this movie last night. Breaking The Waves tells a heartwarming/heartbreaking tale of free-spirited and devoted Christian Scotswoman who marries an oil rig worker, much to the dismay of her community Calvinist church. After her husband leaves her for the oil platform and becomes injured and paralyzed after an accident, her life changes forever. While being paralyzed, her husband "brainwashes" her by telling her to have sex with different men, until something tragic happens.
speaking of Scottish babes :p
also
FrostNixon325.jpg

Enjoyed it more than I had expected, having heard some pretty patchy reviews from friends. Frank Langella is my pick for Best Actor at the Oscars, although I am yet to see Richard Jenkins or Mickey Rourke. Can't help but feel that it went easy on both characters in the end, and I don't think that there's any need to make the audience feel sorry for Nixon in the end when he's offering champagne and caviar to his visitors while he should probably be serving a jail term. Michael Sheen and Kevin Bacon also excellent, and Rebecca Hall doesn't put in the same cringeworthy performance as in Vicky Cristina Barcelona.
i really liked it too, i dont think i reported that to this thread :confused:, but still, it did make me feel sympathy for Nixon, which feels a bit creepy :eek:
now, as for what i watched today:
Pineapple_express.jpg

i liked it, i think i would have like it more though was smoking pot :o but i did not cuz i feel sickie today, however, the movie did have way more violence then i expected...

200px-Benjamin_Button_poster.jpg

Just seen The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button - Brad Pitt and Cate Blanchett star in this David Fincher directed piece of epic cinema. You probably already know that it tells the tale of a baby that is born old and ages in reverse. It may be a bit on the long side at 2 hours 40 mins, but the photography and effects are sheer class. This has best film oscar written all over it, but I'll be surprised if it wins anything for acting. The visual effects are ground-breaking, many are obvious, but it's filled with others that are so good and subtle that most people won't even be aware of them. The acting is solid from all involved, but nothing spectacular, the direction and vision is extraordinary. A must-see film.

great_gatsby.jpg

The adaptation of The Great Gatsby was very superb. I really enjoyed Mia Farrow and Robert Redford's acting as Daisy and Gatsby, the lovers that they meant to be. Sam Waterston had a very impressive role as Nick Carraway, the neighbor of Gatbsy, whom they develop a friendship with each other. I felt this was very related to the story, but there were some changes.

house_bunny.jpg

Very hilarious fish-out-of-water movie! Anna Faris portrays Shelley, a former Playboy bunny, who teaches nerdy sorority sisters to be more like party girls and make the boys like them better. Just imagine what living in a sorority house would be like!

Tags
film movies
Back
Top Bottom