The 1981 gay pride march in Huddersfield - Morrissey spotted in photos?

If you ask me, that's him, no doubt.

20200710_094349.jpg

Link to article:

Also:

What do we think about him? Spotted in another picture from the article.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
I think he was joking - because there's a ton of stuff you could submit in evidence from Moz's interviews.

I know of a specific occasion when Moz was out with some friends in London and they needed to walk across soho to get to where they were going and he insisted on not walking through the gay area around Old Compton St in case he was seen so they had to walk all the way around avoiding that area. For someone who is allegedly open about his views he seems to be ashamed of being seen to be gay or even thought of being gay. So many contradictions

Well, people’s filters and how they remember the past isn’t very reliable.

That's true and goes for any biography, autobiography or article about a person's life.

I just wondered why you have to have a march in fancy dress to celebrate your sexuality? Do straight people have a similar 'celebration' or do they just crack on with their lives?

No because they are boring. In the words of John Waters from Female Trouble:

"The world of the heterosexual is a sick and boring life"

It is bizarre that you put a comparison reference on how gay people should behave according to how straight people behave. Lol

Remember that Ch 4 documentary when she asked him about his sexuality, and he refused to answer. Also, didn't he say something like "I'm afraid I'm not a homosexual" about 10 yrs ago.

Was that before or after he wrote in his autobiography that he had slept with a man?

I know of a specific occasion when Moz was out with some friends in London and they needed to walk across soho to get to where they were going and he insisted on not walking through the gay area around Old Compton St in case he was seen so they had to walk all the way around avoiding that area. For someone who is allegedly open about his views he seems to be ashamed of being seen to be gay or even thought of being gay. So many contradictions

Or is he trying to avoid someone he shagged? He might not want people meeting & comparing notes.

But, yeah, he is weird about it.

Gazing at Count Quiffula from an admittedly long telescope it seems rather obvious that he is so fiercely independent that the second he realizes there's a banner over his head, he runs like the wind.

No movement could quite capture all the nuances of his personality so he realizes that virtually all labels are useless.
Bang on the money you are right and he is too!

He just doesn't want to read about it in the papers. Again, I think it's about controlling the narrative.

I know the story of him and James Maker being chased out of a gay club by homophobes, (and he said he heard polari first spoken by male prostitutes); maybe not ashamed of "being seen to be gay" but traumatised from being chased and seeing James Maker get kicked around by homophobes

Was that before or after he wrote in his autobiography that he had slept with a man?
The full quote was
"Unfortunately, I am not homosexual. In technical fact, I am humasexual. I am attracted to humans. But, of course, not many."

And it was in October 2013, after Autobiography had been published.

True, but if I’m gonna believe any fiction I’ll believe Morrisseys, simply because he has better hair than Rogan.
Fair enough, but it's not like both books are wildly contradictory.

I know the story of him and James Maker being chased out of a gay club by homophobes, (and he said he heard polari first spoken by male prostitutes); maybe not ashamed of "being seen to be gay" but traumatised from being chased and seeing James Maker get kicked around by homophobes

Dial A Cliche is about being told to be more manly & it hurting.

Attending a gay march in 1981 is exactly the kind of thing a young Morrissey would have done. He was always interested in identity and sexuality. He wanted a feminism-style movement for men. This, however, does not mean that he is a practicing homosexual. It simply means he was interested in a scene that back then would have been highly rebellious, edgy and transgressive.

It would have been the polar opposite of what gayness or the gay scene is nowadays - media and corporation-endorsed and pushed as "clean" and "family-friendly".

Fans love to presume and speculate, but not once has he announced "I am gay". There is a reason for this and also why Morrissey would never attend a current-day Pride march and has never flown its flag. He is not a practicing gay man.

I can assure you he is. He had a relationship in LA with a hollywood memorabilia business owner. Around the time of this photo he also placed an ad in the NME men seeking men column. The letters exist. For people from the inner circle it is an accepted fact. Most closeted gay men spent years stating they were bisexual or celibate or hateful of sex etc etc It is a common thing. It is interesting how you can categorically state he isnt a practising gay man when YOU could never know.

His gay fans want him to be just like them. But Moz is a unique individual.

He will never fly that tacky flag so beloved of corporations now. Being gay is no longer edgy or transgressive but blandly mainstream.

It's more rebellious now to be straight and proud.
Exaclty.

Talking of narratives - I found the notes from one of the first training days I ever had & I've adapted a Moz song title for it.

(Yes, it's pink paper - shut up GEM).

20200709_110432.jpg

Fair enough, but it's not like both books are wildly contradictory.

Well, I do own it(rogans book) Read it only once when it came out. I remember reading something about Morrissey being into horror/comic books or something as a child, and that was enough for me.

And Morrissey disputed it after also.

I also go to pride parades and participate in gay culture because I'm edgy, not because I'm attracted to men. Do gay people even go to pride parades anymore?

gay pride marches in 1981 were very different that a pride festival of today. They weren't big flamboyant parties, they were protest marches, serious and often dangerous to attend. I very much doubt any straight men attended those marches.

He is an unusual, perhaps uncategorisable, man.

It's ironic that many people still think you either are or are not - yet talk of multiple sexualities when it suits them.
It's the opposite - going to a pride march in the 80s makes it more likely you're gay than it would now. Then it was a protest. Now it's a carnival.
Not inevitably, I’m sure I remember Ian Brown saying that he attended a Pride march in the 80s (or something similar).

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom