the book, what do you think

Morrissey's Autobiography

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Oh my god. it's Robby!

spontaneously luminescent
morrissey-autobiography-e1379497126620_zps1fe3a60b.jpg

personally, I like most of what I have read so far, I have been pleasantly surprised :o

Sorry Robby, I didn't see that you had already started a poll. So many book threads in this forum. I missed it.

Almost finished with the book. Have about 40 pages left. Actually like this last stretch. His jaunt through America is a riot. His wit really shines here. The first part is poetic. Middle is setting the record straight. And the last part is light and fun.

Sorry Robby, I didn't see that you had already started a poll. So many book threads in this forum. I missed it.

Almost finished with the book. Have about 40 pages left. Actually like this last stretch. His jaunt through America is a riot. His wit really shines here. The first part is poetic. Middle is setting the record straight. And the last part is light and fun.
no prob, you gave a good reason to bump the thread is all :)
anyways, off to read more of it now, glad you like it too :thumb:

I don't think it's a classic. I think the court case goes on a bit too long and I got a bit bored towards the end. I didn't think Morrissey needed to name all the journalists who slagged him off either, although he was perfectly right to tar NME. They've always been back stabbing gits.

Last edited by a moderator:
I could've done without so many pages on the court case but that was handy for my wife as she knew how many pages to skip.

Found it to be a far more enjoyable read that I expected it to be, it doesn't really reveal any secrets but I don't mind.

I wonder what Mike Joyce has thought about the autobiography? I'm not sure if there's much left of his career to destroy though.

I could've done without so many pages on the court case but that was handy for my wife as she knew how many pages to skip.

Found it to be a far more enjoyable read that I expected it to be, it doesn't really reveal any secrets but I don't mind.
yeah, the court case has always bored me, but I can only hope that Moz's writing about it so helped him to exorcise some demons of his :o

I wonder what Mike Joyce has thought about the autobiography? I'm not sure if there's much left of his career to destroy though.
maybe he'll sue :eek:

Last edited:
yeah, the court case has always bored me, but I can only hope that Moz's writing about it so helped him to exercise some demons of his :o

He doesn't exercise any demons, he wilfully feeds them. He's had decades to resolve all this in therapy like a bad Woody Allen plot, but if he did, he'd have to face the fact that his life isn't a dramatic re-run of Oscar's, just a standard re-hash of bad business decisions and acrimony from ex-company directors/employeers/lawnmower parts. Whatever.

Why would Joyce sue? When he's been totally vindicated by Morrissey's absurd account? As has Weeks. Although he might want to 'have a word' with Morrissey about the 'Iscariot' taunt. Once again, it's totally pathetic for Morrissey to legitimately complain at intrusion and stalking by 'fans', even if he cultivates it so assiduously, when he then appears to be directing his 'disciples' to view an ex-drummer as Judas. It's irresponsible, like most of the things Morrissey says in anger, but fails to later regret. and apologise for.

It's Morrissey who reaches for the lawsuit rifle like some imperious Lord of the Realm, everytime he's called out on suspected bullshite (NME, Joyce, etc). What next? Sue David T? The denizens of this site? That would now be difficult as to establish damage to a reputation, there has to be credibility of those who seek redress and of those against whom redress is sought. Bradford's "Fcuk Morrissey-Solo.com" t-shirts and the subsequent, alleged, attempts to purchase and stifle this site's Free Speech-ish Agenda, show how near to the abyss he came. After "Autobiography" it's hard to see how or why anyone would take Morrissey seriously or anyone who writes here, including me. It's now a total car-crash. His book is actually an important historical document on "The Death of Literature and The Cult of the Amateur" which is a chapter I'm writing at the moment.

I remain of the view that Morrissey has some mental health issues which are unresolved in relation to his childhood, that they are derailing his life, and that rather than address them, he lashes out at all and sundry, including ex-drummer/bass players, devious, truculent and unreliable journalists, and 'fans' who are not 'on message' with the star/fan delusion but demand that they be treated respectfully as part of a paying, patron Audience.

I've had serious mental health issues due to childhood events, but I've worked hard to overcome them. It's hard work but possible if you're determined not to let those who oppressed you win. Morrissey appears, from this book, to prefer endless victimology to adult maturity. Noise is not the best revenge, happiness and mental equilibrium is. It's very sad what he's become, unless it's all another mask, but not nearly as sad as those who are fighting to have basic access to mental health services so they can press 'restart' on their lives. It's time 4 change:

http://www.time-to-change.org.uk/

SISMS was a wonderfully brave song and is now confirmed as almost-autobiographical. I regard Penguin as guilty of exploiting his vulnerability in not challenging his bizarre demands to be published without editing, mentoring, or with regard to the reputational damage to both himself and the Penguin brand 'going forward'. Never mind the death of serious literature/cult of amateur stuff. But no-one listened to me/her/us/them, so "we are where we are". Anger is an Energy, but it's not a useful strategy for living unless it transmutes into something that heals. Viva Hate? You wrote your own epitaph there, mt8, but you can change. It's time 4 change. Of continue on your road to oblivion. It's obvious no-one close to you cares.

Last edited:
yeah, the court case has always bored me, but I can only hope that Moz's writing about it so helped him to exercise some demons of his :o

To exercise some demons of his? What's that supposed to mean?

Morrissey really adds to the reputation of David Bowie being a big-headed sod. Bowie isn't shown in a good light at all.

We are still pretty much in the dark about Marr and why he left too. He went to meet Morrissey and nothing seemed to be explained much. Whether it's Morrissey holding back or Marr skipped the subjects, heaven knows.

Bit saddened when Morrissey dissed "Roys Keen" in the autobiography too. I think it's quite funny and the music is really good.

thanks Peter, though I am now imagining something like:
Exercising_Demonsk85Detail.png

this :p

A nice cartoon, but not a typo. He could do with an exorcist. His demons, yes he feeds them, instead of exercising his mind in a cognitive gym with a therapist and moving on, closure, etc . His childhood traumas? They're fat, flabby, unspecified and not corroborated by his peers as far as I can tell. He's being provocative, like he was when he absurdly dressed as a priest trying to hook on to Sinead on NBC "Saturday Night Live". She did it in 92, he thought about it for a decade or so, then released "I Have Forgiven Jaysus" to try and bandwagon jump, but failed. Now he says an authority figure had stroked his arm to try and get his misery lit a few more clicks. Ridic. Etc. Fail.

Last edited:
A nice cartoon, but not a typo. He could do with an exorcist. His demons, yes he feeds them, instead of exercising his mind in a cognitive gym with a therapist and moving on, closure, etc . His childhood traumas? They're fat, flabby, unspecified and not corroborated by his peers as far as I can tell. He's being provocative, like he was when he absurdly dressed as a priest trying to hook on to Sinead on NBC "Saturday Night Live". She did it in 92, he thought about it for a decade or so, then released "I Have Forgiven Jaysus" to try and bandwagon jump, but failed. Now he says an authority figure had stroked his arm to try and get his misery lit a few more clicks. Ridic. Etc. Fail.

Even by your own low standards that is palpable/papabile nonsense.

Last edited:
Overall I think the book is 'OK'. There is so much inconsistency with the amount of detail in major topics, there is so much more that I needed to read about. Big topics like what happened during the Smiths split, how he felt, what he tried to do but it all gets swept aside in a sentence or two. Compare that with the 140 or so pages where he talks about the stuff he did prior to meeting Johnny Marr it just doesn't add up to me. I did want to read about his upbringing and influences but 140 pages, jaysus. The court case is covered in massive detail, he also takes every opportunity to put his case across and he is right to do so, whether or not his arguments add up to fully justifying and unequal partnership you can make your own mind up - it is all there to read.

Overall I think the book is 'OK'. There is so much inconsistency with the amount of detail in major topics, there is so much more that I needed to read about. Big topics like what happened during the Smiths split, how he felt, what he tried to do but it all gets swept aside in a sentence or two. Compare that with the 140 or so pages where he talks about the stuff he did prior to meeting Johnny Marr it just doesn't add up to me. I did want to read about his upbringing and influences but 140 pages, jaysus. The court case is covered in massive detail, he also takes every opportunity to put his case across and he is right to do so, whether or not his arguments add up to fully justifying and unequal partnership you can make your own mind up - it is all there to read.
I agree with a lot of that :thumb: also, just wanna say, I applaud the courage of "bagface" to let others see their vote, and one other who I don't recognize :confused:
why your overall opinion is in the negative, I'd be interested to know :o
also, my assumption is that the 1 vote, so far, of: have not read it, don't plan to
is by the author of the "Barking" blog, aka, "Brummie Boy" he strikes me more of a write without reading type :crazy:
but I could be wrong, I don't put much thought into this shit folks :lbf:

We are still pretty much in the dark about Marr and why he left too. He went to meet Morrissey and nothing seemed to be explained much. Whether it's Morrissey holding back or Marr skipped the subjects, heaven knows.

One of the reviews I read says that the book "reproduces" a letter that Marr sent Moz years later explaining the reasons he left. Is that not the case?

One of the reviews I read says that the book "reproduces" a letter that Marr sent Moz years later explaining the reasons he left. Is that not the case?

No, I didn't get to see a list of why Marr left. Can someone else clarify this? Just in case I randomly skipped a part or a page.

Back
Top Bottom