"The Boy With The Thorn In His Side" (Demo) - 7" Record Store Day release (Apr. 22, 2017)

"The Boy With The Thorn In His Side" (Demo Mix) / "Rubber Ring" (Early Drone Studios Version) - The Smiths, 7" vinyl is out via Rhino for Record Store Day 2017 - April 22, 2017.

39769_The_Smiths_-_The_Boy_With_The_Thorn_In_His_Side-2.jpg

39947_trump_will_kill_america.jpg

Last edited:
The 'A' side is *very* close to the single/album versions. The demo version was obviously so good, they barely changed anything (the vocal take is identical).

The 'B' side 'Rubber Ring' is gloriously different though - completely different vocal take with some different lyrics, and a very early musical version - love it!

Make sure you pick up the new The The single 'We Can't Stop What's Coming' while you are out at Record Store Day as well - all the guitars on it are by Johnny Marr, according to the credits. It's a good one as well.

Steve is such a Patriot. He cares so much about his country that he would have inscribed on a record "Trump will kill America". Guess who's not going to lil' Johnny Lydon's bonfire on the beach on Sunday. "there's gonna be some trouble"

Tell all my friends,
I don't have too many,
Just some SoCal sunshine lovers
:)

Did somebody notice that the band names order and its font in the back are exactly the same in that TQID "bootleg" which came along months ago?

Just got back from the Record Store, I like the Early Drone Studios Version of Rubber Ring more than The Boy With The Thorn In His Side. Morrissey's voice sounds so good on it. I also like "Trump Will Kill America" etched on the run out. Like the early Smiths days. Not a very flattering picture of Albert Finney, the first picture chosen was better, in my opinion.

Stood in x records que for an hour listening to everyone say, and The Smiths single, it didn't matter if they had arms full of death metal, punk or Dolly bloody Parton they all said oh and The Smiths. needless to say they sold out with thirty people in front of me. Got one of ebay for£19 an hour later, not worth getting out of bed. 25 of Bowie promo went within 40 minute as well, did anyone get Bowies No Plan in clear/blue? wondering if it exists as they all seem to be black?

He should release the studio version of "Jack the Ripper" as a 7" next year for RSD.

Can anybody confirm if the demo version of "The boy..." is really unreleased or actually the same as the original single version?
any chance of uploading those two tracks for those of us who can't get the record?
Technically it was unreleased in this form until now.

As someone else said, they liked the demo so much they released it pretty much as-is. Only major difference I can tell is that the marimba present on the 1985 single release (also included on TWWL) isn't there, which means that basically was the only post-production they did back then. The TQID album version of course has some added strings and other production.

Only major difference I can tell is that the marimba present on the 1985 single release (also included on TWWL) isn't there, which means that basically was the only post-production they did back then. The TQID album version of course has some added strings and other production.

Other (minor) differences - this early demo version has an opening drum fill which was cut from the final version. On the final album version there is a fair amount of reverb/echo on Morrissey's voice, particularly noticeable on that 'namamanananan na-na-na' (or whatever the hell he sings!) section towards the end - which is missing on the demo version. It's the same vocal take, just without the echo.

Rubber ring is indeed more interesting with the alternate vocals - thoughi'd risk to say, the backing track is the same as the released version that has less of the cello and a guitar overdub.

Stood in x records que for an hour listening to everyone say, and The Smiths single, it didn't matter if they had arms full of death metal, punk or Dolly bloody Parton they all said oh and The Smiths. needless to say they sold out with thirty people in front of me. Got one of ebay for£19 an hour later, not worth getting out of bed. 25 of Bowie promo went within 40 minute as well, did anyone get Bowies No Plan in clear/blue? wondering if it exists as they all seem to be black?

I got a Smiths 7" as well as the "Bowpromo" LP (End of an Ear Records here in Austin, Tx, is cool and only allows people to buy one copy of any given RSD release). I got the "No Plan" EP in clear blue vinyl as well. It's not part of RSD and there were plenty at my shop. I'd keep looking around!

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The cutout in the middle of the record is very shoddy on all of the copies posted online.

If anybody knows a store in the US with extra copies, please let us know. Thanks.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom