The business of assisted suicide...

nightingale+therose

...brush me daddy-o
Just thought this article was quite interesting and pragmatic about a subject that often stirs emotional responses.

Dignitas boss: Healthy should have right to die

Ludwig Minelli, the head of Dignitas, is 77. A trained lawyer, he founded the assisted suicide organisation 12 years ago. The organisation, whose slogan is '"live with dignity, die with dignity", has helped over 1,000 people to die. Many of them are people who have travelled to Switzerland because assisted suicide is not permitted in their own countries.

Dignitas has the status of an association under Swiss law, with two active members, Mr Minelli and one other. The identity of the other member has not been revealed. These two active members control the policy and financing of Dignitas.

Question: You have been described as a man on a mission, a man on a crusade...

I wouldn't say a crusade but I am persuaded that we have to struggle in order to implement the last human right in our societies. And the last human right is the right to make a decision on one's own end, and the possibility to have this end without risk and without pain.

Many people would say though that if there are to be organisations which organise assisted suicide that there should be some rules around how they function.

Well there are rules but there are no state laws. We have our own rules and the first rule is that we never precipitate an assisted suicide. Every step must be initiated by the member and not by us. And the third rule is that we are always first looking whether we will be able to help someone to continue with life rather than to end life.

What about the structure of your organisation, the media has reported that it's not very transparent, particularly the accounting?

Well this is a private association, only the active members of the association have a right to know the facts, the public has no right at all, we are not working with public money, we are working with the money of our members, so there is no reason to answer questions from third parties.

But actually the Zurich public prosecutor wants you to make your accounting more public.

Well the Zurich public prosecutor is not reasonable, for years. No this man is not worth to discuss with, or to discuss his ideas. His main idea is to reduce our capacity to receive members from abroad in Switzerland who would like to have an assisted suicide here.

The proposals from the Swiss justice department are similar.

Yes, and the minister of justice was never interested in our positive work. She is influenced by this conservative Catholic man in her ministry.

Well let's look then at the proposals from the Swiss national committee on medical ethics. Because they also suggest that an organisation should have some rules.

You know all those proposals from the committee on ethics are influenced by Mr Brunner, the public prosecutor of the canton of Zurich. He has made his proposals, and they took his proposals in order to make his proposals, we have never been asked. So these are of no worth at all.

Nevertheless many people here in Switzerland would be more comfortable if your organisation was more transparent.

Well maybe but this is not our first issue, our first issue is to help our members, and as long as the authorities which are competent do not say that something is wrong with us, there is no need for more transparency.

But you have been through all the authorities (Zurich public prosecutor, Swiss Minister of Justice, Swiss Council on Medical Ethics) and you have dismissed them all as incompetent or biased.

They are, I'm very sorry.

Can I ask you about the Dignitas philosophy on people who would come to you who are mentally ill rather than physically ill? Why you think it's okay to help someone with a major mental illness like schizophrenia to commit suicide?

As a human rights lawyer I am persuaded that the right to make an end of life decision belongs to every person who has capacity of discernment, most persons with mental illness have full capacity of discernment, of course. And I think this capacity to make an end of life decision should also apply to a healthy person, so the British discussion about terminally ill persons is completely obsolete. And I want to implement this last human right.

What if someone came to you who was neither physically nor mentally ill but expressed the wish to die. Would you be able to help them?

Of course. For instance a very old person which has no illnesses at all, has some difficulties because in old age you will have some difficulties, has no longer family, has no longer friends. Why should we say no?

By Imogen Foulkes
BBC News, Geneva

Hmm, it's a very very dark subject and however they try and make themselves seem like doctors, they're not...there's something very wrong with it

I don't get it at all.

Apparently it costs about 10K for the service, which mainly consists of a nice room and a barbiturate cocktail. I know places where they'll kill 'ya for free.

I don't get it at all.

Apparently it costs about 10K for the service, which mainly consists of a nice room and a barbiturate cocktail. I know places where they'll kill 'ya for free.

Answer: The Army, on The Frontline...Come to think of it, they PAY YOU!

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember back during my senior year of high school, in English, we had to do a report about euthanasia and why it should be illegal. But, I just don't understand why people should commit suicide in a legal matter.

It's probably easy to get a pistol anyway....a single bullet to the head would do! It wouldn't cost you penny apart from "borrowing" the gun! Don't worry, if I commit suicide, that's the way to go out the world...with a bang!

It says not viewable in my region - is there any way I can see a version in the UK?

Hmmm, it's PBS - American Public Television. The only thing on YouTube is a clip and a trailer (called Suicide Tourism). Otherwise it's only available on their site.

It really is an amazing look at one family's journey with Dignitas, right through to the very end. Unflinching, candid, even-handed and very, very real. I just can't forget it, and I know others feel the same.

Perhaps someone will convert it, somewhere along the line.

It's probably easy to get a pistol anyway....a single bullet to the head would do! It wouldn't cost you penny apart from "borrowing" the gun! Don't worry, if I commit suicide, that's the way to go out the world...with a bang!

But you're in the UK - you must have some right shady friends if you know how to get a gun... or even worse - hunters!!:eek:

Shooting would hurt, i think the 'hope' with the medical assistance is that it'll be painless. I'd write them a cheque and let my relatives argue over the charges when it bounces:D

Come on, you must know some people with guns in Scotland! I'm from Wales, so of cause I know people with guns! They're bloody loons around here! Nahhh, as soon as you've pulled the trigger...your life exsistance has somewhat vanished!

Come on, you must know some people with guns in Scotland! I'm from Wales, so of cause I know people with guns! They're bloody loons around here! Nahhh, as soon as you've pulled the trigger...your life exsistance has somewhat vanished!

note to self... tread cautiously when in Wales... don't upset the locals.;)

...Or Just Befriend Raoul Moat on Facebook!!!!

Seriously, what if the Gunshot through the brain goes wrong.....???....the rest of your life paralysed and unable to communicate could be VERRRRYYYY Long....
I did read once of a chap who put his ( petrol) chainsaw into a tree at "Neck height" and then walked into it.....Thats pretty Brave.....

Back
Top Bottom