The Carnism Thread

Do you believe in Carnism or Veganism? Do you accept your Diet is a Religion?

• I understand Carnism and Veganism and I make a conscious choice.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I eat what my parents/religion indoctrinated me to eat

• I eat what Morrissey tells me to eat

• I don't care: Ignorance is Bliss.

• Total voters

BrummieBoy

Educate yourself about your religious affiliation to Carnism and check your privilege to see if it is conscious and examined or just conformism to Carnist convention:

"What Is Carnism?

Carnism is the invisible belief system, or ideology, that conditions people to eat certain animals. Carnism is essentially the opposite of veganism; “carn” means “flesh” or “of the flesh” and “ism” denotes a belief system. Most people view eating animals as a given, rather than a choice; in meat-eating cultures around the world people typically don’t think about why they find the flesh of some animals disgusting and the flesh of other animals appetizing, or why they eat any animals at all. But when eating animals is not a necessity for survival, as is the case in much of the world today, it is a choice - and choices always stem from beliefs."

http://carnism.org/

"Carnism is an extremely important concept that has the potential to dramatically transform the way society thinks about eating animals."
─ Gene Baur, president and cofounder of Farm Sanctuary and author of Farm Sanctuary: Changing Hearts and Minds about Animals and Food

Educate yourself about your religious affiliation to Carnism and check your privilege to see if it is conscious and examined or just conformism to Carnist convention:

"What Is Carnism?

Carnism is the invisible belief system, or ideology, that conditions people to eat certain animals. Carnism is essentially the opposite of veganism; “carn” means “flesh” or “of the flesh” and “ism” denotes a belief system. Most people view eating animals as a given, rather than a choice; in meat-eating cultures around the world people typically don’t think about why they find the flesh of some animals disgusting and the flesh of other animals appetizing, or why they eat any animals at all. But when eating animals is not a necessity for survival, as is the case in much of the world today, it is a choice - and choices always stem from beliefs."

http://carnism.org/

"Carnism is an extremely important concept that has the potential to dramatically transform the way society thinks about eating animals."
─ Gene Baur, president and cofounder of Farm Sanctuary and author of Farm Sanctuary: Changing Hearts and Minds about Animals and Food

The invisibility of carnism makes eating animals appear to be simply a matter of personal ethics, rather than what it actually is: the inevitable end result of a deeply entrenched, oppressive system. Carnism is structured like other “isms,” such as racism, sexism, and heterosexism, which are organized around the oppression of certain groups of “others.” And while the experience of each set of victims will always be somewhat unique, the ideologies themselves are structurally similar, as the mentality which enables such oppression is the same.
If we fail to pick out the common threads that are woven through all oppressive systems, then, we will simply trade one form of oppression for another. Thus, to create a more humane and just society, we must include carnism in our analysis.

http://www.carnism.org/index.php/2012-05-09-15-00-33

Back
Top Bottom