The Columbia Crew

I know

I just sent an e-mail to www.Weezer.com regarding this news. Apparently the mission pilot was a huge Weezer fan and was supposed to take a picture of the first Blue album floating in space with the other Blue object (earth). My thoughts are with the lost crew.

~Insecure Child

Tragic

I had just signed on to AOL, but there was no mention of it on the Welcome Screen. Then I got an IM from someone, asking me, "Did you hear about the space shuttle?" A cold chill rushed through me. I didn't know what had happened, but I know that a question like that never precedes something positive. I was 12 when the Challenger exploded and I immediately recalled the feelings of that day.

Again, how tragic.

Re: Tragic

i'm at a loss over this tragedy. i vividly remember the Challenger tragedy, even though i was only 3 at the time, and it really affected me for a lot of my childhood. growing up, one of my many dreams was to become an astronaut (i even participated in a really neat educational program dedicated to the memory of the Challenger mission at CSU Dominguez Hills in which you got to plan and carry out a pretend space flight). this is such a sad thing.

I don't want to come off all insensitive, but these things should be a lesson in why it is that we don't need to be sending people into space. It's a waste of money, and obviously a waste of lives. It's sad that these people died, and my thoughts are indeed with their families and friends. And look how many billions of dollars went into killing them.

I think it's all about progressing as a race... I understand what you're saying, but when yo think about it, it's all evolution.

> I don't want to come off all insensitive, but these things should be a
> lesson in why it is that we don't need to be sending people into space.
> It's a waste of money, and obviously a waste of lives. It's sad that these
> people died, and my thoughts are indeed with their families and friends.
> And look how many billions of dollars went into killing them.

You incredibly f***ing ,ignorant stupid piece of SHIT!!!!!
You wouldn't even be able to be making your ignorant post without the space program. Where do you think computers come from? How about satellites for the internet dumbshit. There is not one thing in your life that has not been positively affected by it. What an idiot your are!

> You incredibly f***ing ,ignorant stupid piece of SHIT!!!!!
> You wouldn't even be able to be making your ignorant post without the
> space program. Where do you think computers come from? How about
> satellites for the internet dumbshit. There is not one thing in your life
> that has not been positively affected by it. What an idiot your are!

Computers were NOT invented for the space program, asshole. Better check your books again. And internet runs through phone lines, not satellite, unless you pay for satellite service. Next. Space exploration is my problem, not satellites. Launching people into space is not necessary. So f*** off, you ignorant bastard.

...Don't Forget Tang

> Computers were NOT invented for the space program, asshole. Better check
> your books again. And internet runs through phone lines, not satellite,
> unless you pay for satellite service. Next. Space exploration is my
> problem, not satellites. Launching people into space is not necessary. So
> f*** off, you ignorant bastard.

As a previous poster noted, it's about evolution as a race. If it wasn't for human curiosity and the desire to progress, we would still think the earth was flat because people would advise against "launching people" across the sea.

Re: ...Don't Forget Tang

What an interesting argument. But you're all wrong! We're puppets, and outer space is a giant black shoebox with holes poked in it and gels taped behind for color...when people die it's because a giant domesticated animal has run off with them in his mouth, and chewed their head off. Sorry.

Re: ...Don't Forget Tang

> What an interesting argument. But you're all wrong! We're puppets, and
> outer space is a giant black shoebox with holes poked in it and gels taped
> behind for color...

If we're all puppets, whose hands are up our asses??

> Computers were NOT invented for the space program, asshole. Better check
> your books again. And internet runs through phone lines, not satellite,
> unless you pay for satellite service. Next. Space exploration is my
> problem, not satellites. Launching people into space is not necessary. So
> f*** off, you ignorant bastard.

Hey f***face. An incredible amount of phone and internet traffic does pass through satellites and the small computer you so ignorantly type on would not exist if it were not for the 24 billion dollars spent on the Apollo program. And when you are a pathetic old asshole , the odds are something developed from all the medical research done in the shuttle program will probably prolong your wasted life!

We intentionally send them off to space to kill them? Wha...I don't get your logic. Anyway, less than 15 people have died in the space program in over 30 years. Millions of more are killed from auto accidents, so should we stop driving and stop making cars to "kill people"? What cave have you crawl out of?

Well said, stitchey. I mean, either you believe in having a space programme or you don't. The loss of these people's lives it a tragedy, but it shouldn't impact on the decision-making or whether space travel is worthwhile. I'm sure all of the astronauts were aware of the element of danger involved, but were willing to take on board any risk to their lives because of a belief in the importance of what they were doing. I'm sure they'd hate to see their deaths used as an argument against a programme they obviously supported. On a per capita basis abseiling is no doubt far more dangerous, but people willingly take the risk and do it. No-one talks about banning abseiling.

There are large amounts of public money spent on space exploration undoubtedly, but a large amount of this money is directed towards significant research which in the long-run benefits society through the on-flow of technology and advancement of human knowledge. How much should be spent on this is debatable, but I have no doubt a large portion of money spent is worthwhile social investment.

> Well said, stitchey. I mean, either you believe in having a space
> programme or you don't. The loss of these people's lives it a tragedy, but
> it shouldn't impact on the decision-making or whether space travel is
> worthwhile. I'm sure all of the astronauts were aware of the element of
> danger involved, but were willing to take on board any risk to their lives
> because of a belief in the importance of what they were doing. I'm sure
> they'd hate to see their deaths used as an argument against a programme
> they obviously supported. On a per capita basis abseiling is no doubt far
> more dangerous, but people willingly take the risk and do it. No-one talks
> about banning abseiling.

> There are large amounts of public money spent on space exploration
> undoubtedly, but a large amount of this money is directed towards
> significant research which in the long-run benefits society through the
> on-flow of technology and advancement of human knowledge. How much should
> be spent on this is debatable, but I have no doubt a large portion of
> money spent is worthwhile social investment.

Even more well said, Crushy! Weird-os like him/her are definately in the extreme minority. I mean who's to say what humans were 'meant' to do, whether it's flying, driving, or anything unnatural? Even if humans remained cavemen, like the poster may prefer, we'd still die from hunting, being hunted or for other reasons, but does that mean we should stop progressing? What crazy logic! Amazes me how some people think.

So you're opposed to the advancement of humanity?

The absurd pursuit of flinging onesself down cliffs or other near-vertical objects while attached to ropes (over which the abseiler is intended to keep some degree of control).

Back
Top Bottom