The concept of marriage is a bore

For serious

only one person, for the rest of your life? with so many potential soulmates in the world?

It's absurd

and I'll be happy to argue with anybody who wants to say otherwise!

It seems to me that it's not easy for childhood abuse casualties to find trust in enough people to believe they could ever love/trust more than one individual, if anyone at all.

Some folks value monogamy for just that reason, healthy/normal [EDIT: not to mention interesting] or not.

Most people are betrayers and assholes. The idea of "soulmates", particularly in plural is hard to believe in considering how many betrayals I've experienced and how many fake friends I've known. I don't like sex as much as I like cuddling... Most people only want sex... Few of them want to cuddle. Even fewer want sex with me.

I like having close friends... I don't feel comfortable being physically intimate with them because I don't think I am capable of that trust I require in spite of it all.

Sex is, by that virtue, not fun for me. It makes relationships nearly impossible. I can't trust anyone enough to be physically intimate. and I was betrayed by the one person I trusted in such a way in the end... not that I wanted sex, it was just that I developed such an intense degree of love and trust in this person that it didn't make me afraid of it... apparently they couldn't handle that I loved them though because I'm fat and don't have a vagina or whatever. They are seemingly too immature/undeveloped to accept that kind of innocent love... and too cowardly to be forthright about it.

Just my 2 cents though. I've never claimed to be normal. :)

Last edited:
To each their own. I guess I'm old fashioned, I want to share my intimacy with only one person.

There's nothing wrong with that, but what does it have to do with getting married?

Ummmm. Symbolic? The ring says to the world I am with him in all things? I dunno. It's hard to say. You know how you feel good to have a library card in your wallet that says "You can check any book out of this building?" Being married is like that. It's like a library card to another person that says I can express any emotion, pain, joy, love, frustration, and it's safe to do so because you have a union signified by a ring. It's hard to explain.

No, I get it, I just disagree. Symbols have a limited value, and with marriage, now, in the 21st century, the symbol is all. The ring is all. I despise the pomp, I despise the gaudiness, I despise the ritual. I despise the plans and the cooing and the ooh-ing and aw-ing.

Courts are good enough for ending it, they should be good enough for starting it.

I agree on that. Having helped with many a "big day" I'm over weddings. But not over marriage. It's nice to say to the world "He's home to me." A simple gold band does that. I was LIVID about that Kardadian joke of a marriage, a complete waste of a sacred union. They didn't even try, no respect for the sanctity of union. Bleh.

You guys would die if you knew where I was having this boring conversation about weddings. :p in Amoeba with friends record shopping, but I have no money so it's easier to zone out online than drool over all the music. :D

Well, I wish Russell Brand and Katy Perry for a happy....whooops! :D
I guess Mr Morrissey was right when it boiled down to them two!

I think I'll get married....if I don't marry Missus Davie then obviously I have the choice of having my balls ripped off and fed to the dog, or.....having my eyeballs thrown out and fed to the dog :D
No, I like tradition sometimes and I think it's quite nice to have a gathering over the love between two people. It's quite a special occasion and even if it doesn't last. At least they have good memories.

Last edited by a moderator:
Raytownian and Skylarker getting f***ing REAL in this thread; I love it

marriage doesn't say anything to me, except there are a lot of people out there who are terrified of being alone and unstable. I don't believe you can find the *one* person in this world who tops out over everyone else as far as what it is you desire most in a person. You could be living next door to the man or woman of your dreams and never know it because you're settling for Mr. or Mrs. Right-in-front-of-you

Can't think of anything worse than being stuck with someone you no longer like or fancy

At the end of the day you wouldn't marry them if you thought you wouldn't last together for the lifetime....so there you go

sure you would, people do it all the time.

Look at these wads getting hitched at the age of 19

like, how do you now you've found the person of your dreams at 19?

my favourite is when people get married and then divorced and move on like the relationship never happened.

It's like "I thought I loved you but I guess I didn't so now I think I'm going to go try to love somebody else"

they should make a universal harmonic law where if you commit to a marriage, that's the only person you're allowed to have for the rest of your days. There's no "other" or moving on if you break up the union you chose to enter into

then we'll see how many people are sure they've found the one they want for the rest of time.

Raytownian and Skylarker getting f***ing REAL in this thread; I love it

marriage doesn't say anything to me, except there are a lot of people out there who are terrified of being alone and unstable. I don't believe you can find the *one* person in this world who tops out over everyone else as far as what it is you desire most in a person. You could be living next door to the man or woman of your dreams and never know it because you're settling for Mr. or Mrs. Right-in-front-of-you

FWIW, I was going off on my own tangents... "The ring 'duh-en't' mean a thing", as certain retarded housewives might say. BUT, I am too weird to want anything but a boring monogamous relationship... I want to escape intimacy from everyone, sexual or not.... Even from my own family. The idea of finding even one individual I can not feel squemish with (ever) is like my personal holy grail, you know?

I don't give a f*** 'bout no murriage though.

So far my mother's been the woman of my dreams........ ew.

maybe you're just looking for a woman who reminds you of your mother.

I think most guys do that whether they're aware of it or not

Omg lol. :D

Well, I wish Russell Brand and Katy Perry for a happy....whooops! :D
I guess Mr Morrissey was right when it boiled down to them two!

See? He's a prophet, I tell you! And nobody believes me, he can see into the future! :D :rofl:

I love the idea of marriage, at least I think I do, but I have a phobia of weddings. Funerals? No problem. Baptisms? Fine, happy to go. This is a huge problem when I have business at the courthouse, because people get married there EVERY DAY.

The idea of finding even one individual I can not feel squemish with (ever) is like my personal holy grail, you know?

I'm kind of with Home Skillet on this. If you marry the right person, you form a bond of intimacy with them where you can just be yourself and know they aren;t going to judge you, or you find someone in a similar boat as you with regards to self esteem or being socially awkward and they'll empathize with the details of your needs. You're feeling vulnerable or ugly and they'll pick up on that and make you feel loved becasue THEY have felt vulnerable or ugly. Those kind of bonds you can't really find hopping from f*** buddy to f*** buddy.

I guess "being married" doesn't necessarily factor into what I'm talking about, you can be a live-in couple and reap the rewards of all that without a piece of paper saying you are official.

I'm a big proponent of legalizing gay marriage, it's kind of a big deal for me. Spirits fall in love, not the package they reside in.

I used to dislike Russell Brand and then really disliked him when he married that tart Katy Perry but now that he's casting her to the side I guess he's alright

Lovely. :straightface:

I'm taking David's cue and not picking up this trash. :p

Back
Top Bottom