The concept of marriage is a bore

hahahaha! :lbf:

Well I wouldn't want my girlfriend shagging any other bloke, thanks. She wouldn't want me to either! Everyone may aswell be single forever, if that was the case. There would be no trust in the relationship.

That's ok, I was just making the case that "free love" might not solely be the interest of men.

I love being married. I hate weddings. We got married in my parents living room, maybe 8 people were there, we drank and had pizza. Then we went home.

That's ok, I was just making the case that "free love" might not solely be the interest of men.

ahh I didn't know you were still talking about "free love"....I think I came quite harsh in that post. sorry about that mate :confused:

ahh I didn't know you were still talking about "free love"....I think I came quite harsh in that post. sorry about that mate :confused:

No worries, it was probably more likely me not making myself clear. A habit of mine.

If I got married I would want it to be that one person forever or I wouldn't marry them to begin with.

My problem with a lot of women I know whose attitude to marriage is that it's a checkoff on a list of accomplishments. You aren't "settled" until you are married. My older sis didn't think she could have kids without being married. She worked two jobs, the husband stayed at home, she took care of their three kids when not working while he had affairs, etc and whined that he wasn't enough of a man while not really writing his book. Now they are divorced and she takes care of the kids financially and emotionally. She never really needed anything from him just to have the kids she so desperately wanted. She still thinks she needs a man to do it though.
I say only marry the person to be with that person. if you just want to be married but don't care to who then don't expect it to last.

I'm tired of people assuming if you aren't married you aren't as a good as them. I hate being lectured by 22 year olds "My life is on track. I'm married!"
More than half of those people who claimed that in the past are divorced now. I never got married. I'm 32. I won't rule it out someday but I'm not expecting it as my right either.
I never believed in the old adage "There is someone for everyone".

I say only marry the person to be with that person. if you just want to be married but don't care to who then don't expect it to last.

I'm tired of people assuming if you aren't married you aren't as a good as them. I hate being lectured by 22 year olds "My life is on track. I'm married!"
More than half of those people who claimed that in the past are divorced now. I never got married. I'm 32. I won't rule it out someday but I'm not expecting it as my right either.

Jihad to THAT

Most women I know (or know of) will settle for whatever they can get their hands on the quickest, rather than the one who will suit them best in the long run. It is definitely a matter of being married for the sake of being married. Security is paramount in a woman's life. Her entire world goes to ruin if she feels no security or if her pre-existing sense of security is shattered

Jihad to THAT

Most women I know (or know of) will settle for whatever they can get their hands on the quickest, rather than the one who will suit them best in the long run. It is definitely a matter of being married for the sake of being married. Security is paramount in a woman's life. Her entire world goes to ruin if she feels no security or if her pre-existing sense of security is shattered
This all seems a bit dodgy, a couple of blokes stating what women think. All I can say is that I don't know any women that fit the description you and Peptastic describe.

This all seems a bit dodgy, a couple of blokes stating what women think. All I can say is that I don't know any women that fit the description you and Peptastic describe.

yeah....I want some real women's views about this topic. the women that are on here, don't seem to respond to much though. Apart from Crystal, of cause :)

It's my 20th anniversary this year. We got married not from pressure, or any religious reason, but because it felt like the right thing to do. No one asked us or told us. I've not regretted it for one second. I think more should be accorded to those who get married because it feels right to do so. But then I would say that.

P.

To each their own. I guess I'm old fashioned, I want to share my intimacy with only one person.

Yep, that's me too!

Well, I wish Russell Brand and Katy Perry for a happy....whooops! :D
I guess Mr Morrissey was right when it boiled down to them two!

I think I'll get married....if I don't marry Missus Davie then obviously I have the choice of having my balls ripped off and fed to the dog, or.....having my eyeballs thrown out and fed to the dog :D
No, I like tradition sometimes and I think it's quite nice to have a gathering over the love between two people. It's quite a special occasion and even if it doesn't last. At least they have good memories.
Aww, how sweet! You and your Mrs. Davie seem happy. :)
I know 17 year olds that have got married and stayed with each other, they're my uncle and auntie! So I think it's a bit too easy to judge a couple if they get married young. If it's love, then so be it

My mom got married when she was 18. My parents are still married, and they seem happy.

If I got married I would want it to be that one person forever or I wouldn't marry them to begin with.

My problem with a lot of women I know whose attitude to marriage is that it's a checkoff on a list of accomplishments. You aren't "settled" until you are married. My older sis didn't think she could have kids without being married. She worked two jobs, the husband stayed at home, she took care of their three kids when not working while he had affairs, etc and whined that he wasn't enough of a man while not really writing his book. Now they are divorced and she takes care of the kids financially and emotionally. She never really needed anything from him just to have the kids she so desperately wanted. She still thinks she needs a man to do it though.

I can't imagine marrying to just be married. I want to be in love of course and have somebody I really care about and who really cares about me, but the idea of marriage is terrifying. I don't want to get married until I am really really really really sure that I want to spend the rest of my life with someone.

excellent, can you send a few of them my way? Think I'd like to give this marriage thing a try sometime

I'm not sure why I don't fit the bill as a real woman.

I never meant to imply all women married the first person who came along but that those of whom I know that did ended in divorce. I for one was just explaining my own reason to wait.
My sister felt her biological clock ticking. She used to consult tarot cards to see if she'd meet the one

.It often appears that the society I've been around do tend to look upon married women as more settled.
Are you married and do you have kids are asked before what you do for living, your college major or interests.
I would be disingenuous to pretend I don't get barraged with demands I don't defend that I'm simply not married because I'm not good enough.I do get lectured from what Bridget Jones dubbed "smug marrieds."
Of course some couples are actually in love.

Last edited:
I'm not sure why I don't fit the bill as a real woman.

I never meant to imply all women married the first person who came along but that those of whom I know that did ended in divorce. I for one was just explaining my own reason to wait.
My sister felt her biological clock ticking. She used to consult tarot cards to see if she'd meet the one

.It often appears that the society I've been around do tend to look upon married women as more settled.
Are you married and do you have kids are asked before what you do for living, your college major or interests.
I would be disingenuous to pretend I don't get barraged with demands I don't defend that I'm simply not married because I'm not good enough.I do get lectured from what Bridget Jones dubbed "smug marrieds."
Of course some couples are actually in love.

I agree with the last part of your comment. When I was having my first child the midwife suggested I go and buy a cheap ring so no-one in the waiting room would think badly of me! I was outraged. Even now refer to "your husband" and I always correct them, I'm not married!

For serious

only one person, for the rest of your life? with so many potential soulmates in the world?

It's absurd

and I'll be happy to argue with anybody who wants to say otherwise!
marriage is a wonderful concept, just very shitty in practice, thats all
my guess would be that most marriages involve one person who truly found their soulmate(in my case, me)
and another who is really just along for the ride
sometimes that ride lasts til one person dies(usually the man, statistics show)
or one person just decides to get out when things turn shitty
and can you blame them?
its not like they really knew what they were signing up for
its folly to think most people really pay attention to their vows
just sayin...

Look just because I think marriage is an archaic old load of shit, doesn't mean it's sour grapes from me, because mine didn't work out. It means that I quite seriously believe having a contract about your relationship and feeling the need to show it all off to everyone and make them give your presents, is capitalistic fascist stuff anyway. I know yall all hate me, but I also don't for the life of me understand why gay people as well want to get in on the bandwagon of shame that is marriage. I mean, they fought so hard for gay rights, why would they want to be lumbered in with the old straighties getting hitched an all? I just don't get the modern world.

Look just because I think marriage is an archaic old load of shit, doesn't mean it's sour grapes from me, because mine didn't work out. It means that I quite seriously believe having a contract about your relationship and feeling the need to show it all off to everyone and make them give your presents, is capitalistic fascist stuff anyway. I know yall all hate me, but I also don't for the life of me understand why gay people as well want to get in on the bandwagon of shame that is marriage. I mean, they fought so hard for gay rights, why would they want to be lumbered in with the old straighties getting hitched an all? I just don't get the modern world.
Don't be ridiculous, you have not said anything to make everyone hate you. I'ts a perfectly reasonable argument. But, as I said earlier in this thread, your idea is ahead of it's time. I think we're all to repressed and insecure as a society to not seek the protection and stability of a monogamous relationship (regardless of sexuality). One day when the human race has grown up (if we last that long), I think the nature of our relationships and sexuality will be vastly different from what we know now.

Back
Top Bottom