The Coronation Street Thread

Mozza220559

Surmontil 50
Who watches it still? I wish I could have been around in the 60s when it first went out just to see if the characters were more complex and interesting and if the dialogue still hold up today, I've only just starting really watching it again after a good few years, my mum would watch it religiously whilst ironing with a sugarless brew to hand so I'd watch it too. It's like an institution really and it's been going for so long it now, it's like part of the furniture.

At the minute the story line is quite good. Hayley Cropper has been diagnosed with terminal cancer which has thrown light onto the moral issue of assisted suicide and human mortality and coping mechanisms, a few weeks ago it focused on racial issues between two friends. So saying that I think the current writing is interesting and thought provoking.

Plus the obvious affinity Moz has with this long running soap makes me think does HE still watch it? Do you lot watch it? Is it still good and do you all love it like an old faithful family dog?

Coronation Street and the news is the only TV I watch. Sadly in New Zealand we are a whopping 18 months behind the UK. Where we are at the moments is Fiz has come out of prison. Frank raped Carla and Lloyd got lied to by that cheating hussy Cheryl. I find that on the street it goes through patches of being really good, or just a bit daft. The last four epsiodes have been brillant. Very very good script writing, with some quite believable and moving storylines. Very dramatic.

I've been watching Coronation Street since about 1979 I reckon. I did take a break for about two years around 1998 - 2000. I prefer the street when it has drama and rich humour. You leave the social issues out of it. Weatherfield is a fantasy world. When I spoke to Morrissey in December last year I asked him if he watched Coronation Street. His reply was he hasn't seen it in years. It's really only the UK, New Zealand and Canada that screen the street.

Who watches it still? I wish I could have been around in the 60s when it first went out just to see if the characters were more complex and interesting and if the dialogue still hold up today, I've only just starting really watching it again after a good few years, my mum would watch it religiously whilst ironing with a sugarless brew to hand so I'd watch it too. It's like an institution really and it's been going for so long it now, it's like part of the furniture.

At the minute the story line is quite good. Hayley Cropper has been diagnosed with terminal cancer which has thrown light onto the moral issue of assisted suicide and human mortality and coping mechanisms, a few weeks ago it focused on racial issues between two friends. So saying that I think the current writing is interesting and thought provoking.

Plus the obvious affinity Moz has with this long running soap makes me think does HE still watch it? Do you lot watch it? Is it still good and do you all love it like an old faithful family dog?

I haven't watched Corrie for twenty years. Maybe longer. One day I thought "Would you start watching a film that never ended?" and decided I wouldn't. Curly Watts worked in a supermarket the last time I saw it, with the camp bloke who now advertises double glazing.

If you stay away for, say, sixth months, when you go back it is unintelligible. That's probably true of all soaps. Who is shagging whom, and the where, when and why of everything becomes utterly opaque. I don't miss it. A friend of mine raves about it, and he's a pretty good judge, but I'm too far removed to start again.

I like the idea of it, part of our television culture and so on, but not the actuality.

Always loathed Eastenders.

All of our long-running daytime soaps are taking a dump. Hopefully Coronation Street doesn't meet the same demise. Personally I think once the "reality television" thing climaxes and starts to lose it's allure, the daytime soaps will come back as a sort of retro/days of yore thing and be popular again.

Coronation Street and the news is the only TV I watch. Sadly in New Zealand we are a whopping 18 months behind the UK. Where we are at the moments is Fiz has come out of prison. Frank raped Carla and Lloyd got lied to by that cheating hussy Cheryl. I find that on the street it goes through patches of being really good, or just a bit daft. The last four epsiodes have been brillant. Very very good script writing, with some quite believable and moving storylines. Very dramatic.

I've been watching Coronation Street since about 1979 I reckon. I did take a break for about two years around 1998 - 2000. I prefer the street when it has drama and rich humour. You leave the social issues out of it. Weatherfield is a fantasy world. When I spoke to Morrissey in December last year I asked him if he watched Coronation Street. His reply was he hasn't seen it in years. It's really only the UK, New Zealand and Canada that screen the street.

Doesn't NZ have it's own soap? Isn't it a bit odd watching rainy Manchester in Auckland? We all love Neighbours: what's your equivalent? I thought 'Top Of The Lake' was OTT. Good, but OTT. And not like LOTR showing the good side of NZ, just freak pervert cops like wot we got here.

Moz wouldn't watch Corry! He's in L.A, so he's watching "The Real Housewives Of Beverly Hills". Isn't everyone?

It's not been the same, Corry, since Les Battersby left.

regards.

BB

Last edited:
Yes, we have in New Zealand, Shortland Street. It provides a service for every bloody peforming arts graduate in the country. I haven't looked at it for 14 years. Full of social issues and young 'uns.

Corrie is always in the top ten most viewed tv programmes in New Zealand. I still haven't looked past my lustful crush on Angie. The 4 foot nine, pint swilling fashion designer who appeared around 1992(?).

Yes, we have in New Zealand, Shortland Street. It provides a service for every bloody peforming arts graduate in the country. I haven't looked at it for 14 years. Full of social issues and young 'uns.

Corrie is always in the top ten most viewed tv programmes in New Zealand. I still haven't looked past my lustful crush on Angie. The 4 foot nine, pint swilling fashion designer who appeared around 1992(?).

Thankyou, i'll investigate whether the young'uns are troubled by asbo-type social and sexual deviancy. I love social issues in t.v drama but only if it involves sexy people going postal. Like "Shameless", which has largely replaced Corry. Though Frank Gallagher isn't sexy, he's just tragic. Why do you "Antipodeans" still cling to the culture of the islands of Britain and Ireland? I thought you all wanted to tell the Queen to fcuk off so you can drop your pants for China? I'd like to go to South Island, to those fjords where the waters still relatively unpolluted, or so I'm told. We hardly ever get any cultural imports, that's why "Top Of The Lake" was so absorbing in a Twin-Peak meets Psycho sort of way. That cop was such an unreconstructed machismo thug. I wonder if Morrissey watch it, and found him 'interesting'. He gave me a hard-on. Not Moz! That cop. I'd like to shag him, in his role in that series, of course. Shag the actor, not the person. It would be really dull if he was all sensitive and up to speed with PC crap and not some 50s throwback. I read that NZ was full of bonkers skinheads but maybe they've turned into your equivalent of Bogans. Either way, I'm sure Moz found your cultural landscape 'fascinating' on his papal pope-of-mope Santa comes early trip last year: before the horror of Peru! regards. BB.

Kevin steps out of a taxi back on the cobbles holding his suitcase and a piñata wearing a large pink sombrero. Tyrone then casually asks... "Did you enjoy Mexico?" Kevin says "yeah mate"

All is forgotten.

Well Yea I watch coronation street 2, love it, dont like eastenders tho all they do is shout and argue with each other!
I agrea tho corrie is not quite the same now les battesbys gone!

Weve just been watching the x-facter earlier on. (uk version of course)
Recorded show on VHS video, that way you dont need a tv licence, you only need a licence if you watch tv programms as there being broadcast! dont need one to watch dvds either, havent a clue how much a tv license costs theses days!

Have 2 say not really impressed this year, not in the slightest!!!
A friend just commented, that theyve never seen so many wannabe karaoke singers in one show!
The lack of talent was remarkable!
I giggled as there only trying there best, this is there hopes and dreams!

I do feel tho that there is some hidden talent amongst them, mosy notibally sam bailey!
Absoulty wonderfull vocals!
Sam baily 2 win the x-facter!
I have of course backed sam bailey 2 win when she was a 8-1 outsider, shes now gone 3-1 favourite !
I knew it !!!!! LOL :) im a remarkably good judge of character and talent!

But tell ya what you put kristeenYoung on the x-facter and she will lead em all a merry dance and run rings around em for fun!!!!
Competition ? there would be no competition kristeen would run away with the show!
Shes absolutely wonderfull lol !!!! :)
A voice of an angel ! singing as sweet as the nightingale! And keyboard synths that simply blow you away!

I fondly remeber the first time I seen and heard the dark gothic princess, live in concert!
Was almost floored ! speackless !
I just couldnt believe what I was hearing and seeing!
KRISTEENYOUNG IS ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Cant wait 4 kristeens new CD ! getting it the very day its released! I HAVE to have it!!!

Ps kia ora librarian on fire ! didnt realize you were a kiwi and in new zealand! :)

Last edited:
I haven't watched Corrie for twenty years. Maybe longer. One day I thought "Would you start watching a film that never ended?" and decided I wouldn't. Curly Watts worked in a supermarket the last time I saw it, with the camp bloke who now advertises double glazing.

If you stay away for, say, sixth months, when you go back it is unintelligible. That's probably true of all soaps. Who is shagging whom, and the where, when and why of everything becomes utterly opaque. I don't miss it. A friend of mine raves about it, and he's a pretty good judge, but I'm too far removed to start again.

I like the idea of it, part of our television culture and so on, but not the actuality.

Always loathed Eastenders.

I put "camp bloke" in google image search and I recommend everyone try it. I don't know what double glazing is but it sounds sexy. I have heard of having your donut glazed so maybe it's the DP version of that?

Who watches it still? I wish I could have been around in the 60s when it first went out just to see if the characters were more complex and interesting and if does HE still watch it? Do you lot watch it? Is it still good and do you all love it like an old faithful family dog?

It's utter garbage.

Okay I admit it...Hayley Cropper's death scene tonight was an absolute tearjerker. Now expect Roy to be interrogated by the police and go to court. I can see the story lines rolling in.

Couldn't watch it. Love Hayley and Roy so sad to see her go.

The end picture was probably the most saddest 10 seconds I've watched on the television screen. It certainly comes close to Jack Duckworth's last waltz with Vera.

The end picture was probably the most saddest 10 seconds I've watched on the television screen. It certainly comes close to Jack Duckworth's last waltz with Vera.

Could you give us a quick detailed description? We in New Zealand won't see it until 2016. Honest.

My wife watches it so by default I do too. It's not very funny these days is it? Too many Gail and Sally types and not enough Fred Elliot's.

I like Roy though. I thought he'd bumped himself off too for a minute last night so it was a relief when he blinked.

My wife watches it so by default I do too. It's not very funny these days is it? Too many Gail and Sally types and not enough Fred Elliot's.

I like Roy though. I thought he'd bumped himself off too for a minute last night so it was a relief when he blinked.

Completely agree with this!

Back
Top Bottom