The Cure Live Setlist is better than...

It's just not cool to come onto a thread where people are talking about a band, and say they're old news. Opinions are like assholes, everybody's got one and everyone thinks there's doesn't stink. It's just common courtesy. I would love to tell everyone what bands I think Suck, but I try to refrain because it's just not cool.

Seriously though chlil the f**k out! How made u the cool police? Good God, I must remember not to make throwaway comment anymore for fear of upsetting the ubersensitive.
But I'll give you a chance. For the final time my original comment applied to me and me only. It was not directed at anyone else - I gave you enough clues.
Also, I also reserve the right freely express my opinion blah de blad de blah etc etc etc. Get a grip man, ffs.

Seriously though chlil the f**k out! How made u the cool police? Good God, I must remember not to make throwaway comment anymore for fear of upsetting the ubersensitive.
But I'll give you a chance. For the final time my original comment applied to me and me only. It was not directed at anyone else - I gave you enough clues.
Also, I also reserve the right freely express my opinion blah de blad de blah etc etc etc. Get a grip man, ffs.

By no means, am I upset with you. Yes, you have the right to express your opinion, but people on this thread we're talking about a band they all like. I myself, just saw them on Sunday. And hearing somebody call them old, was just a bit insulting. I, myself think U2 and The Red Hot Chili Peppers sold out in 1992, but I won't go around saying that to people who are talking about them. Perhaps, I misread your intentions. If so, I am sorry. But again, It appeared as if you were saying it just to be insulting. In which case, instead of berating you, I merely replied with my trademark sarcastic wit.

By no means, am I upset with you. Yes, you have the right to express your opinion, but people on this thread we're talking about a band they all like. I myself, just saw them on Sunday. And hearing somebody call them old, was just a bit insulting. I, myself think U2 and The Red Hot Chili Peppers sold out in 1992, but I won't go around saying that to people who are talking about them. Perhaps, I misread your intentions. If so, I am sorry. But again, It appeared as if you were saying it just to be insulting. In which case, instead of berating you, I merely replied with my trademark sarcastic wit.

I'm sorry, I checked with my buddy at the patent office and he says your wit isn't registered.
OK so you misread my intentions. My original post is meant to be read with with wistful sigh, filled with memories of a misspent youth listening to Kiss Me, Disintegration, Music for the Masses and singing Ice Machine and Something to Do up in me mates bedroom then going home stoned and sticking on The Smiths and Strangeways cassettes last thing and lapping up every bar of Pretty Girls make Graves and Death of Disco Dancer. Then somethings are best left unsaid in the wasteland etc. etc.

And they acknowledge their first and second album. Morrissey thinks Everyday Is Like Sunday is the only song that he recorded for 2 albums.

Early Solo Songs Played Since 2004:
Everyday is Like Sunday
Hairdresser on Fire
November Spawned a Monster
Lucky Lisp
Such a Little Thing
Interesting Drug
Disappointed
Sister I’m a Poet
The Loop
I’ve Changed My Plea To Guilty
Suedehead
Little Man What Now?

Granted, some only played a handful of times but not exactly ignoring the early material

We went to see The Cure at Wembley in March, and I thought they were brilliant. Not on a par with Moz, fair enough, but still bloody good. I was a bit knackered by the time they finished three hours later - and I should imagine they were too! - but if you want value for money, they're your men. The light show was brilliant, too.

Everyday is Like Sunday
Hairdresser on Fire
Lucky Lisp
Such a Little Thing
Interesting Drug
Disappointed
Sister I’m a Poet
The Loop
Suedehead
Little Man What Now?

Granted, some only played a handful of times but not exactly ignoring the early material

yeah thats 4 years ago. what about since 2007? i know alot of those got played over in the USA, some even one off outings.
the cure though have a nice "anthology-history" setlist which they take wherever they go. i went seeing them at move festival in manchester. mega gig!!! although not a full set. it was still one of the greatest gigs ive been to. :) better than alot of mozzer shows ive been to.
also whilst we slag off off depeche mode. ive never seen them live but im guessing they just do an average show, correct me if im wrong. but muscially i heard dave g's solo effort & the single from the last d mode album and they were more pointless than anything. nothing fresh, nothing new just plain & well dull. alot like new bands today, they just dont have the wow factor do they? :rolleyes:

I'm coming out from under the floorboards for this one.;)

yeah thats 4 years ago. what about since 2007? i know alot of those got played over in the USA, some even one off outings.
the cure though have a nice "anthology-history" setlist which they take wherever they go. i went seeing them at move festival in manchester. mega gig!!! although not a full set. it was still one of the greatest gigs ive been to. :) better than alot of mozzer shows ive been to.

I agree 100%!

ive never seen them live but im guessing they just do an average show, correct me if im wrong.

You're wrong. :D I saw them on the 'playing the angel tour' at a horrendous venue and they were still astounding!

Everyday is Like Sunday
Hairdresser on Fire
Lucky Lisp
Such a Little Thing
Interesting Drug
Disappointed
Sister I’m a Poet
The Loop
Suedehead
Little Man What Now?

I was refering to the Albums Viva Hate and Kill Uncle. Suedehead has been played about as often as a Solar Eclipse.

I'm coming out from under the floorboards for this one.;)

I agree 100%!

You're wrong. :D I saw them on the 'playing the angel tour' at a horrendous venue and they were still astounding!

really? cool. it is pretty bad when a good band play a shit venue. its unfair on the true fans. it can really spoil it. like james at liverpool. great band, great set, poor sound & just a crap venue. :)

Yeah, at the venue I saw DM at (Touring the Angel as well) the sound was pretty messed up but it didn't spoil the evening. Gahan's still a consummate showman, Gore's still got the voice of an angel, and the setlist was great (although a little unnecessarily heavy on the hits imo). Great night.

One of many highlights: The huge crowd singing the chorus to Everything Counts at the end of the song (shades of 101).

They Cure only play massive venues and play bloated 3 hour sets that bore everyone to death. Their "encores" last half an hour for gods sake!

The only reason that they play for so long is because they can't impress in an hour, so they have to carry on for hours and hours to try and convince people.

They have become everything that their generation were against. Prog Rock Dinosaurs.

They Cure only play massive venues and play bloated 3 hour sets that bore everyone to death. Their "encores" last half an hour for gods sake!

The only reason that they play for so long is because they can't impress in an hour, so they have to carry on for hours and hours to try and convince people.

They have become everything that their generation were against. Prog Rock Dinosaurs.

Unfortunately you're assuming when you say "everyone" and you know what assuming does...:sick:

They play for so long because they care more about the people that are in the audience than they do about money, unlike some certain people I know. :D

You're a Prog Rock Dinosaur! I mean that in the kindest way possible. And no, I'm not assuming! :p

One of many highlights: The huge crowd singing the chorus to Everything Counts at the end of the song (shades of 101).

For me too! :guitar:

When I was a teenager I listened to The Smiths, The Cure and Depeche Mode. As I got older The Cure and Depeche Mode faded into the background, and Morrissey came to fore.

I listened to all of them when I was a kid! I still keep up with all of them, go to their concerts and buy their muisc. I think all of them have keep the quality of their muisc over the years. I just went to see The Cure on Sunday at the Shine, which I must say, there is really not a bad seat in the place. Robert did great singing and played for three hours! It was a good show. I haven't seen DM yet in concert, but I do think Moz concerts are better because it seem more intimate, except when Moz plays a big venue, of course!

i just saw them Tuesday, and yeah they played 3 hours, but they had a far better setlist than i've ever seen Morrissey come up with. out of 36 songs there were maybe 2 i didn't care for.

and anyways, why would anyone complain about getting TOO MUCH for their money? i paid about $65 for my Cure tickets and got three hours. for about the same price Morrissey plays a smidge over an hour.

sure a Morrissey show is more emotional, but The Cure puts on a damn entertaining show and you get more bang for your buck.

The Cure's main set is probably around 2 hours, and the encores all have a different vibe, so i didn't feel bored at all. and guess what? you don't have to stay for the encores! crazy huh?

Unfortunately you're assuming when you say "everyone" and you know what assuming does...:sick:

They play for so long because they care more about the people that are in the audience than they do about money, unlike some certain people I know. :D

You're a Prog Rock Dinosaur! I mean that in the kindest way possible. And no, I'm not assuming! :p

They care more about the audience than they do about money, really? Why do they never play smaller venues then? Think about the economics. How many gigs have they played in the last few years?

So you'd be happy if Morrissey only played enormous venues? I'm sure his bank manager would be ecstatic.

Someone said here once before that The Cure, The Smiths, and Siouxsie were English alternative rock, as far as we were concerned. (I never got too into Siouxsie, though...)

That was me (unless someone else had the same experience).

As a sensitive art-school-punk in the '80s, I can attest to the fact that Morrissey, Robert Smith and Siouxsie were our British royalty - they all had cults of personality, although Robert's was more about the hair. :D

Other bands mattered, but not to such an extent - Depeche Mode never really caught on with my crowd.

I was a huge Cure fan in my youth (mid/late eighties) and saw the Cure 3-4 times in that period... they were good shows for sure.

Eventually, Morrissey won out and I've seen nearly 40 shows...

Yes, I had the same experience. The Cure's first five albums were beyond genius, and had a huge effect on me. I saw them live in that period, and they were okay. Robert, much as I loved him, did not really have much charisma, and the whole band seemed much more engaged with their effects than the audience. But that is only a hazy memory.

Barring a late-stage conversion, Mozza is the one who has won out in my imagination.

I think I'm going to see The Cure here in NYC for the first time in more than 20 years. I'm not crazy about going to MSG - I wouldn't even go if my Mozza-lovin' friend didn't offer me a ticket.

The two of them are still joined at the hip here in the States. I'm sure neither is too thrilled about it. :rolleyes:

I was a teenager in the late 80s. The Cure, The Smiths, and Depeche Mode were like three corners of a triangle.

That's exactly the way it was in America, and a lot of Europeans don't understand that because it didn't fall that way there. There were many crossover fans of those three bands at that time. I am remember going to many of the big concerts in L.A. in the late 80's/very early 90's, and even if they were stadium shows with 80,000 people, like Depeche Mode at the Rose Bowl, The Cure at Dodger Stadium, and even Moz at the Forum/Pauly Pavillion/Hollywood Bowl, you would see the exact same people. It's a lot different now than it was in the late 80's (thank God), but back then in the era of KROQ, Richard Blade, Jed The Fish, the Poorman, etc., that's the way kids were. It's probably guaranteed that most American kids that owned Smiths records and Viva Hate at the time, probably also owned Violator and Disintegration at some point.

Back
Top Bottom