The existential philosophy behind "People are the Same Everywhere" - Pop Music Explained

Hi everyone

It’s been so long since I posted on here that I can’t remember my login details! But I do still follow the page via Facebook.

I’m a local journalist and in my spare time I write essays about the meanings behind pop lyrics.

The latest one is about the existential philosophy behind People are the Same Everywhere.

It seems like Morrissey was interested in the ideas of Heidegger during the writing period preceding 2011...

The blog is easy to read and accessible for anyone - hope you like it

https://www.popmusicexplained.com/blog/morrissey-people-are-the-same-everywhere

Hi again everyone. Thanks so much for all of your comments. I must admit, from a group of fellow dedicated Morrissey followers, I had expected a harsher reception!

Lanterns - thank you for your thoughts. I will certainly consider more carefully in future where there may be a difference between the singer and a character they might be portraying.

Anonymous Bread - yes, I didn’t intend to say that because Heidegger was a Nazi, so is Morrissey. But I hope I worded it carefully enough to draw a connection without labouring any point. I’m certainly not sure how I feel about the whole thing myself.

Famous When Dead - I always enjoy reading your comments. Thanks for taking the time to read my article. I suppose that I think people might be coming to the blog for a definitive point of view, and personally I enjoy writing the most when the author is sure of what they think. But I hope it’s understood that I would never claim to be right above all other interpretations.

If anyone feels they would like to share the post on Twitter etc, it would be much appreciated. Cheers.

I can't help but to feel that you haven't read too much of the later Heidegger. He resigned from his rectorship in 1934 as he was disappointed in nazism, and although he remained an inactive member of the party, he made some thoroughly critical remarks on the movement in his "Introdiction to Metaphysics" lectures. Saying that he was an enthusiastic supporter doesn't sound right.

It also seems to me that his notion of a herd, or the "everyman" - something that should be overcome - doesn't refer to a "sameness" in Morrissey's sense which seems more like a cultural notion?

Thanks

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom