the first Smiths album reimagined

The official, John Porter produced version of The Smiths' debut LP is a safe, muted, timid whisper compared to what it could have been, given what the band sounded like live. This was evidenced by the prowess captured by BBC sessions of the time as well as the bulk of the Troy Tate produced version.

Mind you I'm not saying the John Porter material was total crap; just that most of it didn't accurately capture the spirit of The Smiths. Some of it was great.

With that in mind, re-conceive The Smiths' debut, handpicking tracks/versions from the official debut as well as the Tate sessions, the BBC sessions, and the various scattered b-sides and singles on the compilations.

i would have put the band in a room and had them form a circle and then i would have placed one single microphone in the center of the circle and then i would have pressed play and recorded from the nucleus of sound with no overdubs and fancy studio tricks and then just let it be the pure raw sound of the band as it had been intended instead of the slick bullshit production that was presented.

for a bands first album to get someone like john porter to produce it must have been a big deal for four young guys from Manchester.wasa big fan of his work with roxy music.

1. Reel Around The Fountain (unofficial Warners single from Complete box)
2. Hand In Glove (single version)
3. These Things Take Time (Troy Tate 3.o version)
4. Miserable Lie (official John Porter version)
5. Wonderful Woman (John Porter version)
6. Still Ill (Hatful Of Hollow version)
7. This Charming Man (John Porter version)
8. The Hand That Rocks The Cradle (Troy Tate 3.0 version)
9. Wonderful Woman (John Porter version)
10. I Don't Owe You Anything (Jensen version)
11. What Difference Does It Make (Troy Tate 3.0 version; take 1)
12. Jeane (b-side)
13. Accept Yourself (Troy Tate 3.0 version)
14. Pretty Girls Make Graves (Troy Tate/b-side version)
15. Handsome Devil (Troy Tate 3.0 version)
16. Suffer Little Children (Troy Tate 1.0 version...ideally 3.0 version but I like that piano at the end)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom