The first time: expectations/ surprises/ disappointments?

Still Tired

as it were...
So the 22nd was my first time of seeing Morrissey and without realising it I’d formed pre-conceived idea of how the whole evening was going to be- of what he’d look like, what he’d say etc. So these are just some of my general/ random observations:

• His stage presence is just incredible, I never really experienced a person who holds such magnetism over an audience before, I now finally understand what real charisma is and how intense an experience that is. Just the way he strides onto the stage, he just commands over the whole thing without even having to say a word.
• He’s thinner than I thought he was! Profound I know, but he did just look really good! Tanned and healthy with the most intense sparkly blue eyes, really a gorgeous man. It was the strangest thing when he appeared though, it took me a minutes to register this was the living breathing Morrissey, to see a face that is so recognisable- that you see everyday suddenly be animated and give expressions was just… well surreal for a while! It was almost like seeing someone wearing a mask for a short second, weird I know.
• His quiet seriousness that I felt came across, he didn’t smile a lot, I mostly just remember the point when he fell to his knees after bowing and I saw a smile creep across his face as he turned to stand. Aw what a nice memory :) But I thought he’d chat more I think, but then people seemed to say he was actually quite chatty at that show! But then to me the whole thing seemed to last about five minutes in total so perhaps it’s all a lot more compact in my memory than the reality!
• The fans- what a strange and interesting mix of people, such a cross-section. I wonder if Morrissey ever looks out in sight confusion at the random collection of people he attracts! Some seemed very reasonable and nice but some were just incredibly annoying and inconsiderate, but then maybe you get annoyed with any stranger you have to endure leaning on you and shouting down your ear for two hours whether you like it or not.
• The crush at the front- my God! I thought I wasn’t coming out of that alive! I didn’t quite realise the pressure and pushing continued throughout the whole thing. I kind of unpeeled myself from the people around me at the end and tried to find the various items of clothing that had been trying to escape from me!
• The band- I always got the impression that Boz and in particular, Gary, were pretty serious looking on stage and didn’t express themselves too colourfully. I changed my mind on that one completely! They were both having a great time, laughing at Moz’s comments and coming to the front of the stage to do some impressive guitar-playing for the cameras, they were all smiles and it was wonderful to see them obviously enjoying it all so much. And well, Jesse was smaller than I thought he’d be!

Anyone else got ‘first time’ observations to share from whenever that might’ve been?

My first (and only) show was the 09/25/1997 Chicago Aragon one (http://www.passionsjustlikemine.com/gigs/moz-gi9709us.htm). Moz was ill, and not only did the show seem rather short, he wasn't particularly talkative or engaging. The highlights were "Billy Budd," "The Boy Racer," and "Paint a Vulgar Picture," probably because those were the ones that he seemed to perk up for. I wasn't particularly fond of the "Maladjusted"-heavy set. The theater itself is very, very cool, but it has that infamous 8-foot high stage that keeps the band pretty isolated from the crowd. It's too bad that the one show that I made it to was one of his worst. :(

nice description, pretty much how I also experienced seeing him for the first time - but unfortunatley I was not brave enough to get close enough to see his sparkling blue eyes.

but I found him really talkative compared to other singers. what do others every say besides hi and thank you very much?

*At my first, and only till now, I stood right in front of Mr. Boorer, and I was just Wow. He was surpricely good-looking.. (I was screaming BOOOOOOZ, and everyone around me; MOOOOOZ:p)
*The fans! So extremely nice and easy to talk to.
*What happens when The Man comes onstage..
*Boz's guitars..

And mucj of what you said;) Great ovservations!

I was suprised at some of the people he seems to attract, too. But most of all I continue to be, like, really "wow" about this almost-mythical man appearing in the flesh, in the same room as me :rolleyes: :sad:

22nd was me and my mates first moz gig. i couldnt beleive how mental it was down at the front, there were some many different types of people. there were a couple of complete wankers though like the skinhead hooligans who tried to start on my mate because he looked at them lol, i just wish he was doing even more gigs now, i really wish i had gone to some of the eariler dates, overall i had a an amazing night and i thought the setlist was great.

I saw him for the first time i April this year, in Mozlo.

It was a rather surreal experience... I had so many expectations, and expected to be carried away to heaven right a way. And for a few moments it seemed like that was about to happen, as he entered the stage after this thrilling and magic intromusic.... First of the gang was great, and so was Still Ill. But from then on it didn't feel like heaven anymore. That's the sort of thing that happens when I see my favorite artists live. My expectations are waaay to high, as I know they can performe magic upon me (in my bedroom).

So there I was. In the same room as him... Looking back, it was a fantastic night of course, but right there I couldn't help but feeling a little dissapointed.
One thing was the set list (I'm not one of those who complain about it; but the early tour set list of this tour surely wasn't his best), and another thing could have been that I didn't stand in the big bouncing gang right in front of the stage, but on a level over so that I could see him in a clear line.

Well. It was a night to remember, as it was my first gig, even though it wasn't exactly what I had anticipated.

A good luck I have seen him a few more times this year, and the last set list made the Moz-live-athmosphere heavenly, at last.

Chicago in November was my first, and I was so ready for it as it turns out nothing surprised me! I was afraid I would either pass out or burst into hysterical tears or both when he walked out, but basically I just thought YES!!!!!!! THERE HE IS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! combined with gleeful jumping and clapping. :D It was a bit bumpy and sweaty in there, but I felt right at home!

My friend and I were 3 people back from the barricade, and right in front of his mike stand. When he was standing in front of us I'm guessing we were maybe 12 - 15 feet away from him, which was amazing. The one thing that stunned me that night was the first time he looked right at me. It happened right away... I think he couldn't have been out there more than 5 minutes when I got direct eye contact with him, and I was so shocked by it I had a split-second panic attack and had to look away! Immediately I wanted to kick myself, but then it happened 2 or 3 more times during the show, and I did NOT break eye contact again! Since he saw me at least for a second or 2, I hope it was obvious on my face how happy I was and how excited I was to be there! :D I've literally never had so much fun in my life, ever.

Last edited:
I'm jealous. I've been to 4 gigs and haven't been carried away by any of them. even the last one where i was in the front row and didn't have any drunks spilling their drinks on me. i figure that if i'm in the front row, was able to take pictures the entire show, and enjoyed the show unmolested by icky fans and still wasn't that excited that there is no way i'm ever going to be blown away at a show.

I'm jealous. I've been to 4 gigs and buy the live DVDS't been carried away by any of them. even the last one where i was in the front row and didn't have any drunks spilling their drinks on me. i figure that if i'm in the front row, was able to take pictures the entire show, and enjoyed the show unmolested by icky fans and still wasn't that excited that there is no way i'm ever going to be blown away at a show.

Wouldn't you be better off getting a seat up the back then, and allowing someone who really liked Moz to take a place in the front row. Better still, just buy the live DVDs, and you'll never have to come into contact with 'real' fans at all.

Wouldn't you be better off getting a seat up the back then, and allowing someone who really liked Moz to take a place in the front row. Better still, just buy the live DVDs, and you'll never have to come into contact with 'real' fans at all.

thank you for sticking up for the "real" fans in the face of the brigade of 5'4" and under women who had held them back from enjoying the show. I'll make sure in the future that these slovenly drunk 6' tall men won't have to shove me out of the way, block my view, and spill their booze all over me.

thank you for sticking up for the "real" fans in the face of the brigade of 5'4" and under women who had held them back from enjoying the show. I'll make sure in the future that these slovenly drunk 6' tall men won't have to shove me out of the way, block my view, and spill their booze all over me.

OK. you got me there. My missus is a about5"2', and a bigger fan than - but as yet has never been thrown off the front row when she gets there. In fuure when all those guys with no manners show up, just stamp on their toes and elbow them in the groin. :):):)

OK. you got me there. My missus is a about5"2', and a bigger fan than - but as yet has never been thrown off the front row when she gets there. In fuure when all those guys with no manners show up, just stamp on their toes and elbow them in the groin. :):):)

well, you see, the shorter you are, the meaner you tend to be! at least, that's what i have discovered of women who are under 5' tall. there isn't a one i want to mess with. they could probably do something like that to that guy and not get thrown out because the security guards would be too afraid to do it.

I, on the otherhand, would get thrown out while the drunk guy would get to stay and watch the show and so i can't give them the satisfaction.

:D That's what you have to say about your first concert`?

:D :D ha ha!

Well no. But my first concert was in 1992 in Brixton Academy and i cannot remember a thing about it - i was absolutely out of my face! Dont ask me the set list, who the support were, what he said, what the crowd were like - i havent a clue!!

:D :D ha ha!

Well no. But my first concert was in 1992 in Brixton Academy and i cannot remember a thing about it - i was absolutely out of my face! Dont ask me the set list, who the support were, what he said, what the crowd were like - i havent a clue!!
Hehe:) Okey, must have been great, if you was dissappointed you wouldnt be here... after 14 years?

Hehe:) Okey, must have been great, if you was dissappointed you wouldnt be here... after 14 years?

yep! see my thread about devotion!

have actually been into him since just after the smiths split - 1988 - aged 15. So its been more than half my life!

Wow, that's a lot. I've just been into him for 2,5 years, and saw him for the first time this year, but.. Im just 16. Hope he'll be an artist for at least ten more years!

Back
Top Bottom