the general opinion among forum members on Morrissey

balk1970

I am around here for quite some time. Never felt the urge to join as a member as I don't feel the need to share my opinion on messageboards. That is mainly because ANYONE can post on messageboards and often good discussions are destroyed by loudmouths who wish to force their opinion on others like it is the only TRUTH.

First I am all about people having their personal opinion and they should be able to ventilate it. I always reckoned Morrissey fans to be the more intelligent music fans but around here I am often shocked by how negative people are about Morrissey. It's always negative...albums, re-issues, tours, b-sides, cancellations, setlists...I can go on. People complain about the fact that Morrissey would not respect them. Artists respect their fans BUT to a certain extend as in the end everything is simply just business and it looks like a lot of people do not see it that way.

Personally I respect Morrissey for his great music and lyrics and I happen to enjoy him as a personality, especially the last couple of years! And he doesn't have to respect me for that! ;-)

I am around here for quite some time. Never felt the urge to join as a member as I don't feel the need to share my opinion on messageboards. That is mainly because ANYONE can post on messageboards and often good discussions are destroyed by loudmouths who wish to force their opinion on others like it is the only TRUTH.

First I am all about people having their personal opinion and they should be able to ventilate it. I always reckoned Morrissey fans to be the more intelligent music fans but around here I am often shocked by how negative people are about Morrissey. It's always negative...albums, re-issues, tours, b-sides, cancellations, setlists...I can go on. People complain about the fact that Morrissey would not respect them. Artists respect their fans BUT to a certain extend as in the end everything is simply just business and it looks like a lot of people do not see it that way.

Personally I respect Morrissey for his great music and lyrics and I happen to enjoy him as a personality, especially the last couple of years! And he doesn't have to respect me for that! ;-)

it's been a shit couple of days I guess.

A lot of the people on here just look for negitive things to point out, as they cannot see Morrissey EVER beating Vauxhall, or any Smiths work. These things & people pass.

But then again the negitivity is that the media presents us with regarding Morrissey & also I don't think they have been that bad this album, he's been getting pretty good reviews..... or maybe we're just the most depressing people you'll ever know ;)

it's been a shit couple of days I guess.

A lot of the people on here just look for negitive things to point out, as they cannot see Morrissey EVER beating Vauxhall, or any Smiths work. These things & people pass.

But then again the negitivity is that the media presents us with regarding Morrissey & also I don't think they have been that bad this album, he's been getting pretty good reviews..... or maybe we're just the most depressing people you'll ever know ;)

Perhaps it's not so much that some people can't see it, rather that he so far hasn't? Most people aren't LOOKING to dislike things. I wanted to love Years Of Refusal but as it turns out it left me feeling 'blah'.

I'm sure some people on here would say I'm quite critical of Morrissey, but then my friends in 'real' life would say I love him far too unconditionally. Which I do; but this album and it's surrounding promotion has been quite a shambles.

I hate Morrissey, he's a total dick.

Not really,

I love Years Of Refusal I really do. I like his band but I want real strings.

He can re-issue anything he wants to. Loads of artists have re-issued much more than Moz.

And maybe he thinks he can get away with cancelling the odd gig, cos most of the people left upset will be those f***wits who get tickets for the whole tour & balls to anyone else who may want to see him.

They annoy me lots.

Perhaps it's not so much that some people can't see it, rather that he so far hasn't? Most people aren't LOOKING to dislike things. I wanted to love Years Of Refusal but as it turns out it left me feeling 'blah'.

I'm sure some people on here would say I'm quite critical of Morrissey, but then my friends in 'real' life would say I love him far too unconditionally. Which I do; but this album and it's surrounding promotion has been quite a shambles.

That's a very fair point. I guess it goes down to opinion. Personally I think Years Of Refusal is a pretty good record. I guess I was just having a dig at I guess the minority who even prior it's release put the prospect down.

& regarding the promotion. I agree completely.

It's because of who Morrissey is, and all his many contradictions, that we can be honest about his flaws (and he ours). That's real love, actually.

Ok, I see it's been pointed out here before I read. Didn't know, quite "new" here and haven't read the zillions of posts with cryptic titles like " what would you do when Moz walked into your bedroom?" :crazy:

Anyway it's a common thing in fandom that fans forget, no matter how devoted they are, they are JUST fans. And often CERTAIN fans regard themselves entities and think they are entitled to write everything THEY think is fair and write it down as a FACT. They somehow appear to have lost the fun of being a fan as they live in the past as most of these people are lifelong fans. They behave like since they were there since day one they have more right on an opinion or that their opinion is more valuable or credible.

When you "do" thing too long it becomes repetitive and you forget why you once started to do it and enjoy it. An artist, like Morrissey, evolves and no he propably won't make another Vauxhall..why should he? He made it like he did Quarry and Tormentors. An album becomes a classic at age which means...we are all getting older. I remember back in the day that I hated Malajusted and now I can't wait for the remaster, which I haven't received yet, as I truely enjoy it.

And Vivabob, I told in my first post that I respect his music and lyrics and blah blah blah but do NOT think he is a GOD, far from! JUST an artist as we are JUST fans and it was just an observation while plunging through all these posts.

this!

I adore him though. (sometimes If I feel I am being a tad critical I feel stupidly unfaithfull, what is that all about?)

I like Morrissey. If he were not so awkward I probably would not find him so interesting. I do, however think his current musical incarnation is stale. He should work with new people.

Anyway it's a common thing in fandom that fans forget, no matter how devoted they are, they are JUST fans.

Does it make you feel good to belittle people? What a weird thing to do, to call people "just fans", just as it is very bizarre to talk of "fan affection". I will never get it. Seems to me that people are still living in a monarchy (hang on :rolleyes:) with their mindset, but are not fit for democracy yet. As pathetic as thinking of "politicians up there". :crazy: Doesn't need to surprise you that many people get away with a lot of crap if that mindset is common. About time that people grow up.

Tags
nice one balk
Back
Top Bottom