The Guardian: Rick Astley on his Smiths covers gigs: "I’ll use a karaoke machine if I have to’" (September 21, 2021)

3000.jpg

Ahead of his two Morrissey-channelling gigs with Blossoms, the singer talks Twitter, his London pub and how he once followed Andy Rourke around the Arndale centre

Excerpt:

“Obviously, after the whole Rickrolling thing,” – the internet bait and switch prank that fooled you into landing on the Never Gonna Give You Up video – “people are going to see Rick Astley Sings the Smiths and think: yeah, right? So this was our way of saying: this is actually happening.”

So, where did this unfathomably unlikely idea come from? “I performed with Noel Gallagher, the Courteeners and Blossoms at Manchester Arena in 2017,” he continues. “We were backstage, having a drink, which led to me appearing on Blossoms’ Pubcast podcast, chatting about the music we loved growing up.” (Blossoms are from Stockport, Astley from Lancashire.)

“My older brother Mike introduced me to the Smiths. We’d been busking in Manchester, saw [bass player] Andy Rourke with his girlfriend and I’m ashamed to say followed him, because it was an actual, live human, from Manchester – a stone’s throw from us – who made music we loved. We shouldn’t have followed him around the Arndale centre … Christ knows what would’ve happened if we’d seen Johnny Marr or Morrissey …

“So I confessed: one day, I just want to do a gig where I sing my favourite Smiths songs, walk off stage and go: ‘Ticked that box. Thank you very much.’ A few weeks later, they sent a message: ‘We can be the other part of that equation …’”

Covid has obviously delayed matters. But why are they only playing two smallish venues (one each in Manchester and London – which sell out in minutes later that week), when they could fill Wembley … or Knebworth?

“It just seems like the sort of thing you’d want to see in a small venue,” reasons Astley. “I do understand that the Smiths mean an awful lot to people, so I don’t want to tread on that history. I know the words to pretty much every Smiths song. I’ll sing them in the shower, but it’s another thing in front of 2,500 people … Plus, the arrangements don’t go: intro, chorus, verse, bridge, chorus. They’re unconventional. I’ll have the words on a monitor. I’ll have a karaoke machine if I have to …”

This isn’t Astley’s first side project. His band, the Luddites (Astley sings and plays drums) have been pleasing crowds for charity since 2008. “Yeah, my punk rock midlife crisis dad band. Our philosophy is: if we can’t learn it in the time it takes to listen to it, we’re not doing it. We do the Sex Pistols, bit of Clash, Foo Fighters, Kings of Leon … and of course Radiohead, Creep.”

The thing with Rick Astley, I realise, is that his “tonight, Matthew, I’m going to be …” Stars in Their Eyes moment doesn’t take much effort …

“I’m 55, so wear glasses most of the time,” he says, fiddling with his pair on the table. “But, I’m sorry, Morrissey can’t claim the quiff.”

To compare – both quiffs stuck up to the left, as it happens – Astley appears on cover of Morrissey’s The Last of the Famous International Playboys 2013 rerelease. The photo was taken, Astley tells me, backstage on Top of the Pops in 1989, at Morrissey’s request. Apparently Mozzer (who’s smiling in the photo – smiling!) wanted to use an unseen photo of him and Bowie, Bowie said no, but Astley happily obliged.

“Plus we haven’t even discussed what I’m going to wear on stage yet …”

Gladioli, frilly shirt and a hearing aid, surely …?

“That won’t work, cos I’ll have monitors in my ears.”

So, before we go, back to those tweets: “Can we now elect Rick Astley to take over all of Morrissey’s duties?”

“No. I’m not going to rehearse things that he used to say on stage,” adding his views on the current Morrissey, which, although most will agree, we won’t go into here. “I’m just paying homage to some amazing music that still means so much to a generation that I could be their dad.”

And does that mean Morrissey is now legally entitled to perform Never Gonna Give You Up, I ask?

“He always was,” Astley smiles.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a sweet article, but what a strange little piece of journalism this is:

"...adding his views on the current Morrissey, which, although most will agree, we won’t go into here."

It's not like the Guardian to be so coy...
They don’t want to get sued again ;)

The question that begs an answer is if Astley followed Roarke around Manchester with equivalent fervor to that of Roarke’s pursuit of Williamsburg’s hipster coke sluts during the early part of the noughties.

" I’ll have the words on a monitor", said Rick Astley
IThis is why it will be fake. Morrissey sings with all his heart and his soul, when he sings, he thinks of the meaning of the song. During three minutes, he takes a time tunnel to the era he wrote the lyrics. This is why it resonates.
The day Morrissey sings with a tv screen at his feet with the lyrics rolling, like Frank Sinatra did in this last years, a part of the magic will be gone.
From what I saw on youtube, Rick Astley is on autopilot, this is why these shows will be karaoke shows in 2500 seat venues, The Japanese do it on their own in a small cabin after dining between friends, in Europe, people do it at concerts. Dave Gahan at Depeche Mode is on auto pilot too for many years: when attending a DM gig, you hardly hear him singing during the hits because people shout next to you.
I don't want personnally to attend such gigs, because I have known the time where people were drinking the words of the singer they revere. Now it is over.

Well, why not? Reality has already reached peak absurdity.

The words on screen thing is a bit rum, though, considering Sir Rick ALSO says he knows all the words.

"Yes, I can walk perfectly fine thank you - and I do not need helped atop the toilet seat. So what if I need crutches?"

Moz does not like what R Astley and company will do, he agrees with Johnny M., he published Fionna D's opinion in Central, which is not in favor of RA, so it is a way to indirectly express his position (Moz), it is my opinion

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom