The Hazards of Christmas Songs

G

goinghome

"SPARE a thought for a group of people who are at their most vulnerable around this time of year but whose plight rarely attracts public sympathy.

I refer to those unfortunate shop assistants now being forced to listen, day after day, to the same small collection of banal Christmas songs, played on endlessly repeating loops. How on earth do they retain their sanity through the months of November and December? It’s bad enough for customers, especially those of us who have already lived long enough to hear Slade’s (So here it is) Merry Christmas or Cliff Richard’s Mistletoe and Wine at least 500 times too often. We only have to spend half an hour so in the supermarket. And if we want to, we can always wear headphones and listen to something else, like Mahler’s Fifth Symphony. For shop assistants, though, there is no escape.

I understand that some of the big stores at least stagger the introduction of seasonal soundtracks, first, making one in every five songs a Christmas one; then one in four; and so on until saturation point.

This is a relatively humane approach, allowing staff to build up resistance..."

Frank McNally's seasonal rant is at:
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opinion/2010/1218/1224285829600.html :D

I am one of them...at least they aren't covers of xmas songs and are the actual real deal, 2000 miles is a great song!

i had 15 years of christmas in tescos and iceland and thought it was vile.it was made even worse by playing seasonal songs for the punters to listen to.the only good thing about was that easter eggs would show their ugly faces on deliverys in christmas week and you could blow the punters away with a nice panel end display of cream eggs and chocolate bunnies but you would allways get some moaning old twat who would complain but still buy a cream egg.but spare a thought for the poor sods who work in pound stretcher as they play covers and the ones i heard in the milton keynes branch sounded like my dad in the bath.merry christmoz to you all.

i had 15 years of christmas in tescos and iceland and thought it was vile.it was made even worse by playing seasonal songs for the punters to listen to.the only good thing about was that easter eggs would show their ugly faces on deliverys in christmas week and you could blow the punters away with a nice panel end display of cream eggs and chocolate bunnies but you would allways get some moaning old twat who would complain but still buy a cream egg.but spare a thought for the poor sods who work in pound stretcher as they play covers and the ones i heard in the milton keynes branch sounded like my dad in the bath.merry christmoz to you all.

:lbf: Local commercial radio at work is just as bad,the same what seems like six songs played day in day out,day in day out,with the same adverts every three songs.I cant educate the numptys :crazy:

At my last job they had this cd where a women whistled "Can't fight the moonlight" which they played on repeat throughout the year except during christmas when they changed cd and the same women whistled "Rockin' around the christmas tree" which we were forced to listen to on repeat from the middle of november to the day before christmas.

At my last job they had this cd where a women whistled "Can't fight the moonlight" which they played on repeat throughout the year except during christmas when they changed cd and the same women whistled "Rockin' around the christmas tree" which we were forced to listen to on repeat from the middle of november to the day before christmas.

Oh god...that IS bad :lbf:

Goinghome's post caused me to check out several songs I'd never heard before: John Denver’s "Please Daddy (Don’t Get Drunk This Christmas)", Slade's "Merry Christmas Everybody" and the Cliff Richard number (blech). Thanks!

One song I haven't heard this year: Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer. Usually it's inescapable.

Back
Top Bottom