the inspiration behind IHTWTWYS?

A

a person

Do you think 'it's hard to walk small when your small' could be a cheeky side swipe against ex boyf Jake. Wasn't he quite short. Moz is rather scathing bout whoever the shortarse in question is "when your small you're bound to look apalling.etc.." and that bit about going into pubs and throwing my weight around "when no one can even see me".could he be mocking jake who fancied himself a bit of a hard man?- just a thought. Cracking song anyway.

> Do you think 'it's hard to walk small when your small' could be a cheeky
> side swipe against ex boyf Jake. Wasn't he quite short. Moz is rather
> scathing bout whoever the shortarse in question is "when your small
> you're bound to look apalling.etc.." and that bit about going into
> pubs and throwing my weight around "when no one can even see
> me".could he be mocking jake who fancied himself a bit of a hard
> man?- just a thought. Cracking song anyway.

No I think it's about some nutcase woman.

that would make this like, moz song #137 rumored to be written about jake. well not really that many, but you know what i mean. i think that thought popped into my mind about the pub fights lyric, but i never really gave it any further thought. now deconstruct this song in the temporal and thematic context of "sunny" and "best friend on the payroll." go.

It's about Mike Joyce imo.

I doubt it would be about Jake as I read in an article somewhere that they are still mates and Jake said they are still in contact. It's obviously about someone Morrissey doesn't like.

Clearly Mike Joyce

This song is clearly about Mike Joyce.
This was discussed when people first heard it.
That is the reference to Ringo.

Re: Clearly Mike Joyce

> This song is clearly about Mike Joyce.
> This was discussed when people first heard it.
> That is the reference to Ringo.

Oh.. Ringo= drummer=Mike Joyce
I get it - clever..

Thanks for clearing it up- wasn't aware of the previous discussions. Still at least we are engaging in on-topic moz debate- which is surely a good thing on this board n'est ce pas?

Re: Clearly Mike Joyce

its also kind of like, if youre a drummer, and say you're tapping away at your desk or something, your friend next to you might say in jest, "hey ringo, can you stop that?" its definitely a music slang colloquialism, and contains a certain degree of insult i think, as the drummer is always considered the band member most in the background, the least important or memorable.

> Oh.. Ringo= drummer=Mike Joyce
> I get it - clever..

> Thanks for clearing it up- wasn't aware of the previous discussions. Still
> at least we are engaging in on-topic moz debate- which is surely a good
> thing on this board n'est ce pas?

I think "It's Hard To Walk Tall..." could be about Spensah...

Spencer himself mentioned that this track was something that Moz and him had "co-wrote a few years ago which was never completed". After hearing the Whyte music, Spencer said it wasn't the same song. The lyrics remained, though. It's not impossible that Morrissey wrote a song about drummer Joyce with drummer Spencer, but that's a bit of a reach...

http://www.morrissey-solo.com/article.pl?sid=04/05/02/171210&mode=thread

More rumours, but some say Moz had a thing for Spence -- and there is the interview on morrisseytour.com where he talks about rolling around on a bed together...naked.

Also, why do people always take "small" to mean short? I took it as not-well-endowed. One of the lyrics have been officially listed as "I burst into public bars", but what is a "public bar" (as opposed to a "private bar"?) Listen with headphones to either the studio version or Janice Long ver. -- it's "public baths", which makes more sense -- the song's protagonist and his smallness go unnoticed even in an unclothed state.

I attack from the back
Because it’s easy
And I can assail
While wearing very nice jewellery

Is that about being short?? I think not.

Not saying I'm right -- but simply saying it's about Joyce full stop is more of a stretch, I think.

Re: I think "It's Hard To Walk Tall..." could be about Spensah...

Back
Top Bottom