The London riots - any thoughts/explanations etc?

Their skin colour is the main difference.

Do they have a different culture? In the US the black culture is specific and it is one that there is a lot of social pressure to adhere to. When black students come to the US from other countries the American black kids will give them a lot of shit if they dress too white or study or don't talk in ebonics. Obviously not all black people act and live this way but its very common, especially with kids/teens.

I asked because there were implications that in England they are different in more than just skin colour.

Whilst these girls sound thick as the proverbial why are they so uneducated? Its not merely parental responsibilty as in a lot of cases their parents know no better either. Society has failed them, for a myriad of reasons.

Do they have a different culture? In the US the black culture is specific and it is one that there is a lot of social pressure to adhere to. When black students come to the US from other countries the American black kids will give them a lot of shit if they dress too white or study or don't talk in ebonics. Obviously not all black people act and live this way but its very common, especially with kids/teens.

I asked because there were implications that in England they are different in more than just skin colour.

Not really mate. American black "gangsta" culture increasingly pervades British inner cities as well. A significant proportion wants da bitches and da bling, no maater what your ethnic background from the same communities. you have 50 cent; we have 50 pence

Taking Nikes and other things you couldn't afford, that you were told were essential to being a person, is a political action. You may not agree with it but it's real and it affects immediate change.

All of you just LOVED that girl wearing The Smiths shirt at those other approved student protests.

Last edited:
Not really mate. American black "gangsta" culture increasingly pervades British inner cities as well. A significant proportion wants da bitches and da bling, no maater what your ethnic background from the same communities. you have 50 cent; we have 50 pence

Do you really have 50 pence or is that a joke? Either way I laughed but it would be funnier if it were true.

You are so right. I was just listening to Dr Dre and you absolutely nailed black culture, because all black culture is based on a gangsta rap video from 1994. You should be a professor of African-American studies.

Do you really have 50 pence or is that a joke? Either way I laughed but it would be funnier if it were true.

The black culture that I was referring to was a kind of 'black-lite' version of what you were describing in America, Bored. Ironically enough, it's not just black people who seem to idolise the likes of 50 Cent and his ilk over here, the scummy little white teenagers somehow seem to identify with the same bollocks. I find it cringe-worthy the way "these types of people" (for want of a better term) behave and think, both black and white.

That made absolutely no sense, did it..?

Again, if you want your rioting to be approved here, be a white Middle Class student in a Smiths shirt.

Huh?
That female student has a real cause to fight against the government.
She isn't a middle class, just decided to go to college to enhance her future prospects.

However, the feral yoooof on the streets right now have no agenda, they enjoy stealing and vandalising their own streets.

Again, if you want your rioting to be approved here, be a white Middle Class student in a Smiths shirt.

A big assumption. I seem to remember that girl logging on here to complain about the criticism she received. Well, at least she was brave enough not to cover her face and I don't seem to recall those scruffy student oiks looting corner shops or mugging people. That is the difference.

Taking Nikes and other things you couldn't afford, that you were told were essential to being a person, is a political action. You may not agree with it but it's real and it affects immediate change..

If you are a person that thinks that a pair of trainers is 'essential' to being a person then hopefully you will be the next police marks-mens target.

A big assumption. I seem to remember that girl logging on here to complain about the criticism she received. Well, at least she was brave enough not to cover her face and I don't seem to recall those scruffy student oiks looting corner shops or mugging people. That is the difference.

I'm not of the opinion that covering your face is a disgraceful act in itself. I can't assume what this person's motives were for not covering her face, but if that's the standard then you have to accept that many people didn't only not cover their faces but also bragged about their loot on those awful "social network" sites.

If you are a person that thinks that a pair of trainers is 'essential' to being a person then hopefully you will be the next police marks-mens target.

Well, you're showing some irrational anger there I think, wishing me shot dead for expressing the opinion that advertising and media teach us that if you are poor you are nothing. I'm not of that opinion myself exactly but I can't deny that I'm happier to have than have not.

I don't have much to say about the unfortunate events in England and what it all means. But, whenever we see these sorts of breakdowns in society (L.A. riots, Hurricane Katrina, London riots) it serves to remind us how little we can rely on government.

I'm glad that if this sort of thing were to happen in my city I'd have better weapons of self-defense on hand than a baseball bat. (In the news yesterday: "Sales for baseball bats on Amazon UK have risen by more than 6000 percent over the past 24 hours.")

You all can debate the causes of the social unrest and the lawless thugs. In the meantime, ordinary folks have got their lives to live and they have a right to defend themselves. I'll note how obscene it is that the government over there violates the basic right of the people to bear arms, and leftists over here who are in love with Big Government and a Nanny State want to do the same to Americans.

As you can see, in London the criminal thugs and the government authorities have guns, but law-abiding citizens do not.

When the sh*t hits the fan and the cops ain't there to protect you, your family, your neighbors, and your property, it's not good enough that the authorities will come 'round later to clean up the mess.

How long did it take Norwegian police to get to that island camp the terrorist targeted? Just in time to count the bodies.

A Korean-American who used guns to defend his shop during the L.A. riot: "At that time, four police cars were there. Somebody started to shoot at us. The L.A.P.D. ran away in half a second. I never saw such a fast escape. I was pretty disappointed." (Wikipedia, on the riots and the Korean-American community)

Another: "If it was your own business and your own property, would you be willing to trust it to someone else? We are glad the National Guard is here. They're good backup. But when our shops were burning we called the police every five minutes; no response."

motivator3402288.jpg

Last edited:
Poorly educated wasters with no respect?
Yeah, pretty much sums it up.

I hope these dudes crack their skulls:

A group of anti-rioters marched through Enfield, in north London, aiming to deter looters. “We are the Enfield anti-rioting squad,” said one local resident. “You want to riot our place, we will riot you mate."

Last edited by a moderator:

::thumb::thumb:

sad but true. Whether you mean here (this website) or here (the UK)

Funny how the civil disobedience has magically finished tonight.. must be the weather. Like the state of the economy.

Just walked through an area where young people are stood outside their Mosque (I know its Ramadan but most nights at this time noone is stood outside when I walk past) and lots of shopoowners still milling around.

A lot of indie music labels lost their stock in these riots such as Subpop, Roughtrade and Secretly Canadian.

I hope these dudes crack their skulls:

A group of anti-rioters marched through Enfield, in north London, aiming to deter looters. “We are the Enfield anti-rioting squad,” said one local resident. “You want to riot our place, we will riot you mate."

The police didn't stop this bunch? Odd.

there use to be a poster here called "munchybrain"
these riots made me think of her, I hope she is alrite :straightface:

Ha - she always used to urge things like this on. She always used to be an advocate for things like this. I hope she bore witness to the exact destruction and violence that occurred.

You are so right. I was just listening to Dr Dre and you absolutely nailed black culture, because all black culture is based on a gangsta rap video from 1994. You should be a professor of African-American studies.

I'm a Snow man, myself.

Get it...snowman?

Back
Top Bottom