The Moz/Smiths Top 100, Part 132: OUIJA BOARD, OUIJA BOARD

How do you rate Ouija Board, Ouija Board?

• Total voters
Ouija Board's release was the first time that Moz showed himself to be a mere mortal rather than the pop God he'd been throughout the Smiths and the early solo days.
It was the first time that the music press really laid into him.

I think the song's actually not that bad although, compared with the first four singles, it marked a huge decrease in quality (tho nothing like the later nadir he reached with Dagenham Dave, Roys' Keane etc).
The main problem is the song's arrangement. That crunchy guitar solo sounds really out of place and the synth harpsichord just sounds wrong.
A proper harpsichord would’ve been much better.
I wanna hear ‘Ouija Board’ unplugged!

oh this is a TEN!! I can't even believe you people. Amy, you are too young to vote, anyway. ;)

Weeeeeellllllllllllllllllllll, she has now gone from this unhappy planet
with all the carnivores and de structors on it

That line makes it a 10.

:D Unfortunately, despite my tender age I have graduated with a 2:1 Honours Degree in Moz-ology, and thereby deem this song to be nothing less than dire :o

Prolly doesn't rate the 10 I gave it, if I were even slightly able to be objective (which I've genuinely tried to be on this poll), but this is my fave Moz song of all, I don't know why, it just is. . .

--jeniphir

I love it, but then you probably had to be there when it was released.
It doesn't really work as a single, but it is a lovely work of art nonetheless, and I love its central position on Bona Drag which has to be Morrissey's best record (if not album) ever.

A 9 for me, thoroughly enjoy this song and don't forget that Mozz had top notch stars in the video such as Joan Simms and Kathy Burke. A great song to sing in the shower.

I don't mind it. I think the people that really hate it don't really like "silly Morrissey". They think he should be serious and important all the time.

I don't mind 'silly', as long as the music is good. Which is not the case here. It's the only song on Bona Drag I usually skip, a 5.

An amusing song - I'll be generous & give it an 8.

Anybody who gives it higher is out of their mind.

7/10. I like it.​

Back
Top Bottom