The Moz/Smiths Top 100, Part 245: ONE DAY GOODBYE WILL BE FAREWELL

How do you rate One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell?

• Total voters

Houdini

In 2007, and early 2008, we put up polls for all 234 then released Morrissey and The Smiths-songs. More than 25,000 votes were cast and the result was The Morrissey/Smiths Top 100, or indeed, The Morrissey/The Smiths Top 234. This year many people have asked me to continue with the polls as 18 new Morrissey-songs have been released since. With the release of 'Swords' now seems as good a time as any to start them.

Song 245: ONE DAY GOODBYE WILL BE FAREWELL

Voting should be something along these lines:
10: Perfection
9: Near perfect, brilliant
8: Really good Moz/Smiths song
7: Good Moz/Smiths song
6: OK, Nothing special
5: Uninspired
4: Poor
3: Bad
2: Should never have been released
1: He should be ashamed

Previous polls (voting will remain open):

Part 244: When Last I Spoke To Carol
Part 243: Black Cloud
Part 242: Mama Lay Softly On The Riverbed
Part 241: Something Is Squeezing My Skull
Part 240: Because Of My Poor Education
Part 239: Shame Is The Name
Part 238: I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris
Part 237: My Dearest Love
Part 236: Drive-In Saturday
Part 235: Children In Pieces
Part 234: That's How People Grow Up
Part 233: All You Need Is Me
Part 232 and previous

Could be a 7 or an 8 but the "Children tell me that I smell" line is among the Top 5 worst Morrissey lines ever.

4 - Never liked it, lyrically poor, plodding music- made worse in the live versions by the lack of horns.

The t-shirt version is nice though.

I give it a 6, because he doesn't say what day farewell's gonna be, and I hate vagueness and being disappointed. :(

The only people posting are the low-raters? I'm in shock! Where are my fellow niners?

Yup, I really like this song! Especially the ending. It's pretty good. Wow, that was a thoroughly thought-out analysis. Typical!

gave it an 8, really love this song, lyrically simple but very true in its words

A nice choon (well done, Boz) but an absolutely dire lyric - one of his worst ever. Clumsy, dim-witted and just plain stupid.
"The smiling children tell you that you smell" - WTF!
Moz has written so thoughtfully and intelligently on the mysteries of the after-life in the past, it's just unbelievable that he'd even think up the line "and when I die I want to go to hell" let alone consider it worthy of a published lyric.
And then there's, "I have been thinking, what with my final brain cell" - which is so unfunny, it's painful.

Thankfully, there are some genuinely great songs with inspired lyrics among the 2009 material, but this sure ain't one of them.

I give it a 6 ... the versions he was doing on tour before YOR was released were much better .. the horn intro was much better .. hell Mikey F. just owned on that song from start to finish. I was disappointed with the album version ... intro is a bit more ho-hum and the "ta ta, ta ta ta ta" bit is just about lost in the mix. And the live versions ive heard post YOR seem even worse.

So to me its more of a missed oppertunity.

Nice track. Highly amusing lyrics. Would have been even better with the original live intro which it misses once you've heard it. Outshone by other material on the album, but it would have been one of the highlights on, say, Kill Uncle. A good solid 8.

a 6

not much to say about it, it's personal, some like certain songs, which another
find not that good, like the last one , this one is a filler song for an album,
could have been better with not that much percussion, classsical instruments,
he should've made it more elekctric guitar and bass n drumm

some lines of the lyrics are to easy

resume, They should've tried to work more on the song

I think this simple, heartfelt line saves the song from some admittedly lazy lyrics. But like almost all of YoR, they're sung with such conviction that I go with them.

Horns are definitely needed every time this song is played.

7 - "So grab me while we still have the time"

Fantastic song, a 9 for me. It sounds so good live too. And I for one adore the "smell" line. Horrible, obnoxious children DO tell older people that they smell!!

Back
Top Bottom