The Moz/Smiths Top 100, Part 267: WORLD PEACE IS NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS

How do you rate World Peace Is None of Your Business?

• Total voters

Houdini

In 2007, and early 2008, we put up polls for all 234 then released Morrissey and The Smiths-songs. More than 40,000 votes were cast and this resulted in The Morrissey/Smiths Top 100, or indeed, The Morrissey/The Smiths Top 234. In 2009/2010 we updated this chart with the 25 new songs that were released in 2008-2010. The final results of 2010, the 'Top 259', can be viewed here. Now, 4 years on, many people have asked me to continue with the polls as since the last one 25 new Morrissey-songs have been released.
So we'll start with the songs that were released in 2011, 2012 and 2013 and we'll end with the 18 songs from World Peace Is None of Your Business.

So here it goes. Let's hope for as big a turn-out as in 2007 and 2010 and, once again, vote with your heart, not with your mind.

Song 267: World Peace Is None Of Your Business (Morrissey/Boz Boorer)

World peace is none of your business
you must not tamper with arrangements
work hard and sweetly pay your taxes
never asking "what for?"
ooh you poor little fool
oh you fool
world peace is none of your business
police will stun you with their stun-guns
or they'll disable you with tasers
that's what government's for
ooh you poor little fool
oh you fool
world peace is none of your business
so would you kindly keep your nose out
the rich must profit and get richer
and the poor must stay poor
ooh you poor little fool
oh you fool
each time you vote
you support the process
each time you vote
you support the process
each time you vote
you support the process
Brazil and Bahrain
Egypt, Ukraine
so many people in pain

No more "you poor little fool"
no more "you fool."

Previous polls:

Part 266: You Say You Don't Love Me
Part 265: Satellite of Love
Part 264: The Kid's a Looker
Part 263: Action is My Middle Name
Part 262: People Are The Same Everywhere
Part 261: Safe, Warm Lancashire Home
Part 260: Treat Me Like a Human Being
Polls 259-1

EACH TIME YOU VOTE, YOU SUPPORT THE PROCESS!

Last edited by a moderator:
at last! well somehow I love this track maybe the lyrics in some parts are silly "ukrain - pain" but it's a strong track musically is a great start I adore the vocal part "oh oh, you poor little fool".
the situation in Mexico suits perfectly to this song "the poor must stay poor", I love morrissey and I love this album and remember:

"each time you vote, you support the process"

at last! well somehow I love this track maybe the lyrics in some parts are silly "ukrain - pain" but it's a strong track musically is a great start I adore the vocal part "oh oh, you poor little fool".
the situation in Mexico suits perfectly to this song "the poor must stay poor", I love morrissey and I love this album and remember:

"each time you vote, you support the process"

So, what's keeping you? Just register and you've got 18 songs left to vote for :)
(And the other 7 are still open, of course.

I gave it a solid "7".

I actually LOVE the music and don't mind the lyrics like most people do. But I think there's better on the album.

Musically it's nice, and Morrissey's voice sounds great, but the lyrics ... It seems to have been written for Russell Brand to use as intro music for his next live show. I strongly dislike the "do not vote" sentiment. So I can't give it more than a 6, I'm afraid.

Well, it's certainly direct. There's nothing wrong that, and to be fair, I always feel deep down that my vote is mildly pointless.
Musically, it's a fairly conventional Morrissey song with decent production, nice guitar solo, and his voice sounds good. Overall, I feel it's the weakest song on a strong album, but it's an ideal opener. I give it a solidified 7.

I gave it a solid "7".

I actually LOVE the music and don't mind the lyrics like most people do. But I think there's better on the album.

Fred your vote of 7 is a surprise to me. I gave it a 10!

- - - Updated - - -

Musically it's nice, and Morrissey's voice sounds great, but the lyrics ... It seems to have been written for Russell Brand to use as intro music for his next live show. I strongly dislike the "do not vote" sentiment. So I can't give it more than a 6, I'm afraid.

Don't be afraid.

Fred your vote of 7 is a surprise to me. I gave it a 10!

- - - Updated - - -

Don't be afraid.

It’s not one of my favorites on the album. I don’t think it deters from the album at all (as you know I love it!) but of the 12 regular album tracks, this one, “Earth is the Loneliest Planet” and “Kick The Bride Down The Aisle” are my least favorite. But it’s hard to even say “least favorite” cause I love the album s’damn much! But I have tried actually fiddling with a track list that removes these songs and adds my 3 favorite bonus songs (Art-Hounds, Scandinavia, One Of Our Own). I can’t quite get the flow right though.

When I first heard the live version of this song, I wasn't so sure. It did not make an excellent first impression. Upon subsequent listens, it improved. When I heard it live it was different, it felt big and special. Then when i heard the studio version I understood. It's not the best of the best for Moz, but it pretty special. I think it will gain stock as the years go on, I do:blushing:

One of the very finest Moz/Smiths album openers, and a great reminder that - with the possible exception of Eminem - Morrissey's melding of deft lyricism and brash swagger puts him at the top of the game. The themes are 'on point' and there's enough jarring, apparently simple bravado ('police will stun you with their stuns guns', 'Brazil and Bahrain/so many people in pain') to frustrate the dullest critics. 9/10

Imo only the 3 tracks I named above (this, Earth, Bride) would get less than an 8 and nothing on the album proper is less than a 6. Which still makes for a great record.

Imo only the 3 tracks I named above (this, Earth, Bride) would get less than an 8 and nothing on the album proper is less than a 6. Which still makes for a great record.

Have to say that I agree with you entirely! To me, it's only M's current bad reputation in the media, and subsequently the public, that has given this album a mixed bag of reviews. Where the lyrics fail, his voice and the instrumentation save the day, and where they fail his lyrics come up trumps. The album will be looked on well in the future I'm sure.

I do think it's a great album, despite my problems with this track - definitely my favourite album since Vauxhall. It's really only this one and Kick The Bride Down The Aisle that I think are subpar.

Have to say that I agree with you entirely! To me, it's only M's current bad reputation in the media, and subsequently the public, that has given this album a mixed bag of reviews.

What are you on about? It's picked up his best reviews since Vauxhall (in the UK at least).
Got 4/5 pretty much across the board in the music magazines and the newspapers.
Please, let's end this whole persecution complex thing. It's ridiculous. The album's had great reviews.

What are you on about? It's picked up his best reviews since Vauxhall (in the UK at least).
Please, let's end this whole persecution complex thing. It's ridiculous. The album's had great reviews.

I dunno. In the U.S. apart from a decent review in Rolling Stone, most of the reviews have been pretty lukewarm.

Certainly not a persecution complex, but if you look at the Metacritic rating - 70/100 - the album has faced just as many bad reviews as good, and some from big name reviewers. I'm glad about the positive reviews, all I am disappointed at is some of the criticisms which have come in the negative reviews which, to me, seem unwarranted and based on his public image rather than the music's qualities. Obviously, it all comes down to personal opinion and reviews meet diddily-sqat, but public opinion is going to be swung when you have a site as big and well respected (rightly or wrongly) as Pitchfork giving it 5.9 out of 10.

Back
Top Bottom