The new cooking thread

Peppermint

There have been a lot of food-related posts lately so I thought it would be nice to share the culinary love in one place. Full-blown dinner menus, naughty puddings, superlative snacks, tasty sides, dips, relishes, pickles and sauces... let's have 'em. I particularly like recipes which have a story or an anecdote attached - even if it's just 'My Grandma used to make this when I was little' - so feel free to share :)

As an aside, would people prefer to keep this thread vegetarian? No wish to cause offence but I am aware quite a number of people on here do eat meat, so feedback on this would be useful.

I'm going to kick things off with

MINI VICTORIA SPONGES WITH STRAWBERRIES AND CREAM
Not exactly rocket science, but hell, it's summer, and these little babies looked so cute I wanted to show them off. I made these recently for my kids as a treat because the boys are working so hard at their exams and... well, just because. I also think anything 'mini' in food is instantly nicer.

upload_2018-6-12_9-18-34.png

Makes 12

INGREDIENTS
For the cakes:

• 300g soft butter
  • 300g caster sugar
  • 5 large eggs or 6 small or medium eggs, beaten
  • 2 tbsp vanilla extract
  • 4 tbsp milk
  • 300g self-raising flour
For the filling:
  • 200g strawberries, washed and chopped
  • Good strawberry jam
  • 120ml double cream
  • a little icing sugar, for dredging
1. Preheat the oven 10 180C/gas mark 4. Set 12 large cupcake cases (I used Dr Oetker muffin cases) in a muffin pan/Yorkshire pudding tin.

2. Beat the eggs and sugar with an electric mixer until pale, light and fluffy. Add the eggs bit by bit, beating after each addition. Fold in the flour, vanilla and milk with a metal spoon and mix very gently until fully combined.

3. Divide the mixture evenly between the cupcake cases. Bake for around 15 minutes, until lightly golden and springy to the touch. If your oven has 'hot spots' you may want to turn the tray around halfway through, to make sure they are evenly baked and don't burn.

4. When cool, peel off the cases and slice in half with a serrated knife.

5. Whip the cream until still slightly sloppy (you want it to hold its shape but not be 'dry' and stiff).

6. Spread the bottom of each cake with a good coating of jam; then add strawberries; then pile on cream and sit the 'lids' on the top. Sieve over a little icing sugar and scoff.

Last edited:
FLAXSEED BREAD
upload_2018-6-12_10-16-40.png

As a non-carb eater (ie no bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, sugar, grains of any kind) for health reasons, this stuff saved my life. Granted, if you are craving a slice of crusty white, this probably won't do it for you. But it's wholesome, moist and nutty-tasting, and is delicious spread with peanut butter, humous, pate... whatever takes your fancy. It's especially nice warm from the oven.

Flaxseed (also called linseed) has astonishing health benefits: it's high in protein (so good for vegetarians), low in carbs and high in Omega 3s. It's a prebiotic (ie it feeds the good gut bacteria), is high in fibre and high in antioxidants. It also gives you great skin and hair :) - my mother knew this way back because she used to help look after racehorses as a girl and they used to put flaxseed in their feed to make their coats shiny :D

Prep: 5 minutes
Cooking: 1 hour

Ingredients:
100g ground flaxseed (linseed)
50g ground almonds
1/2 tspn salt
1/2 tspn bicarbonate of soda
2 eggs
3 tbsp olive oil
90ml water

1. Pre-heat the oven to 150C.
2. Line a 2lb loaf tin with baking parchment/greaseproof paper.
3. Combine all the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
4. Combine the wet ingredients in a jug/smaller bowl and whisk lightly
5. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly
6. Pour into lined loaf tin and bake for 1 hour

upload_2018-6-12_10-20-3.png

Last edited:
that bread looks good! good and interesting.....if I baked I might try it. and I think it goes without saying that the cakes look delicious. your little mice children are so lucky to have a nice mom making them cakes while they study!

that bread looks good! good and interesting.....if I baked I might try it. and I think it goes without saying that the cakes look delicious. your little mice children are so lucky to have a nice mom making them cakes while they study!
The bread is soooo easy to make it's practically foolproof. 'Mix dry ingredients. Mix wet ingredients. Mix together. Put in oven.' 5 minutes ! You can do it, Rifke!
Oh, and your beetroot sandwich + wine needs to be on here, I feel.

Well done, Pep! I’m pleased to see this. No time to type something more formal but I saw this the other day and thought of you and your Potato Jackets.

I don't know how it will work out given the temperamental nature of cheesecakes and the added moisture from the espresso,
but I am going to Frankenstein Tiramisu and cheesecake into one unholy taste sensation tonight or tomorrow.

I don't know how it will work out given the temperamental nature of cheesecakes and the added moisture from the espresso,
but I am going to Frankenstein Tiramisu and cheesecake into one unholy taste sensation tonight or tomorrow.
Oh, G23, I knew we could rely on you to come up with something special :) Please post pics of the finished unholy thing.

Oh, G23, I knew we could rely on you to come up with something special :) Please post pics of the finished unholy thing.
I will! I may go with crumbled and pressed ladyfingers with a small amount of super finely ground espresso mixed in for the crust, and then gently fold soaked bits into the batter. But like I said, I'm a bit worried about the liquid ingredient being added. I worry that it will bake beautifully, but when I take the ring off of the springform pan that it will collapse. It might be one of those Grandma type of desserts that look hideous until you taste it.

EDIT: OOH! or I may just make a cheesecake with half of the ingredients (so only about an inch thick) and then build a one layer Tiramisu on top of it. Keeping with the ladyfinger crust, of course.

Well done, Pep! I’m pleased to see this. No time to type something more formal but I saw this the other day and thought of you and your Potato Jackets.

It's the other way around, TAT - jacket potatoes! - but no matter. This guy is great, I like his style. And those jackets look good as well. Love the way he tells you not to let the unbaked potatoes see the finished, stuffed ones because 'they're already struggling with tasting like nothing' :lbf:

Last edited:
I will! I may go with crumbled and pressed ladyfingers with a small amount of super finely ground espresso mixed in for the crust, and then gently fold soaked bits into the batter. But like I said, I'm a bit worried about the liquid ingredient being added. I worry that it will bake beautifully, but when I take the ring off of the springform pan that it will collapse. It might be one of those Grandma type of desserts that look hideous until you taste it.
What in the name of God are ladyfingers?

View attachment 44766
They are a cookie. You make Tiramisu by layering them in a pan with espresso, mascarpone, and whipped cream.
Oh, sponge fingers, as we call them! Quite a logical leap, really. I probably didn't think of it because I've never made Tiramisu on account of an aversion to mascarpone - also creme fraiche, custard, anything goopy, basically. It relates to a deep-seated psychological trauma involving custard from my childhood. I can't say it's affected my love of food too much but it very quickly sorted out whether I was in the 'spit or swallow' camp :eek:

I just made a fave meal of mine. Fried a gnu in its own disgust. Roadkill tomorrow.

There have been a lot of food-related posts lately so I thought it would be nice to share the culinary love in one place. Full-blown dinner menus, naughty puddings, superlative snacks, tasty sides, dips, relishes, pickles and sauces... let's have 'em. I particularly like recipes which have a story or an anecdote attached - even if it's just 'My Grandma used to make this when I was little' - so feel free to share :)

As an aside, would people prefer to keep this thread vegetarian? No wish to cause offence but I am aware quite a number of people on here do eat meat, so feedback on this would be useful.

I'm going to kick things off with

MINI VICTORIA SPONGES WITH STRAWBERRIES AND CREAM
Not exactly rocket science, but hell, it's summer, and these little babies looked so cute I wanted to show them off. I made these recently for my kids as a treat because the boys are working so hard at their exams and... well, just because. I also think anything 'mini' in food is instantly nicer.

View attachment 44758

Makes 12

INGREDIENTS
For the cakes:

• 300g soft butter
  • 300g caster sugar
  • 5 large eggs or 6 small or medium eggs, beaten
  • 2 tbsp vanilla extract
  • 4 tbsp milk
  • 300g self-raising flour
For the filling:
  • 200g strawberries, washed and chopped
  • Good strawberry jam
  • 120ml double cream
  • a little icing sugar, for dredging
1. Preheat the oven 10 180C/gas mark 4. Set 12 large cupcake cases (I used Dr Oetker muffin cases) in a muffin pan/Yorkshire pudding tin.

2. Beat the eggs and sugar with an electric mixer until pale, light and fluffy. Add the eggs bit by bit, beating after each addition. Fold in the flour, vanilla and milk with a metal spoon and mix very gently until fully combined.

3. Divide the mixture evenly between the cupcake cases. Bake for around 15 minutes, until lightly golden and springy to the touch. If your oven has 'hot spots' you may want to turn the tray around halfway through, to make sure they are evenly baked and don't burn.

4. When cool, peel off the cases and slice in half with a serrated knife.

5. Whip the cream until still slightly sloppy (you want it to hold its shape but not be 'dry' and stiff).

6. Spread the bottom of each cake with a good coating of jam; then add strawberries; then pile on cream and sit the 'lids' on the top. Sieve over a little icing sugar and scoff.

April fools joke. Kitchens fitted with granite and the like are radioactive cause the ground stone always is.

I believe the increase in cancer comes from modern way of cooking abandoning the simple way to make food. The famous chefs are mass murderers on a scale we cannot fathom.

I believe the increase in cancer comes from modern way of cooking abandoning the simple way to make food. The famous chefs are mass murderers on a scale we cannot fathom.
Between cancer and 2018, I'd rather have cancer.

As a non-carb eater (ie no bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, sugar, grains of any kind) for health reasons, this stuff saved my life.

Paleo? I've been eating this way for over a month--started with the Whole 30 plan. I feel so much better. I am convinced carbs are the enemy. I will have a beer every so often in the future. But no bread, rice, pasta, soy, beans, legumes, sugar or dairy--except in trace amounts. I used to crave bread. Now I pass by the bakery and am kind of grossed out--especially by white flour, fatty and sweet pastries. I think grains and sugars--refined into nutrient-less filler foods--are the major cause of obesity. Vegans eat way too many carbs. As a result, many are bloated or anemic or both.

Last edited:
Oh, sponge fingers, as we call them! Quite a logical leap, really. I probably didn't think of it because I've never made Tiramisu on account of an aversion to mascarpone - also creme fraiche, custard, anything goopy, basically. It relates to a deep-seated psychological trauma involving custard from my childhood. I can't say it's affected my love of food too much but it very quickly sorted out whether I was in the 'spit or swallow' camp :eek:

I too have an aversion to many creamy foods. I can eat oysters but peanut butter is off the table.

Paleo? I've been eating this way for over a month--started with the Whole 30 plan. I feel so much better. I am convinced carbs are the enemy. I will have a beer every so often in the future. But no bread, rice, pasta, soy, beans, legumes, sugar or dairy--except in trace amounts. I used to crave bread. Now I look at it and am kind of grossed out--especially white flour, fatty and sweet pastries. I think grains and sugars--refined into nutrient-less filler foods--are the major cause of obesity. Vegans eat way too many carbs. As a result, many are bloated or anemic or both.
Kind of Paleo-Ketogenic - just meat, fish, eggs, nuts, vegetables and plenty of fats. I've been eating this way for about 6 years because of serious health issues so it's become second nature now. What I find weird is when I eat dinner, I feel really full and can't understand how I ever managed the potato/pasta on top. I love peanut butter, though!

You are right, I think sugar and excess carbs are driving not just obesity but all kinds of other chronic health issues. I don't think it's a coincidence that Morrissey has had all the health problems he's had.

Kind of Paleo-Ketogenic - just meat, fish, eggs, nuts, vegetables and plenty of fats. I've been eating this way for about 6 years because of serious health issues so it's become second nature now. What I find weird is when I eat dinner, I feel really full and can't understand how I ever managed the potato/pasta on top. I love peanut butter, though!

You are right, I think sugar and excess carbs are driving not just obesity but all kinds of other chronic health issues. I don't think it's a coincidence that Morrissey has had all the health problems he's had.

Six years! Congratulations. If everyone ate like you, we'd eliminate type 2 diabetes and so many other diseases. My mom has been eating Paleo as well and she has seen huge changes; she's lost weight; and her edema in her ankles is gone.

Back
Top Bottom