The Official "Is/Does Morrissey..." thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 1074
  • Start date
This was answered in the first post.

Ah! Cheers Viva :)

Another question: Why did Morrissey suddenly turn on Brett Anderson and Suede? I thought he liked them since he covered them in 1992?

Last edited by a moderator:

Another question: Why did Morrissey suddenly turn on Brett Anderson and Suede? I thought he liked them since he covered them in 1991?

My memory is hazy, Brett slagged off Morrissey or something?

After Finsbury Park incident being a Smiths / Morrissey fan was naff.

Another question: Why did Morrissey suddenly turn on Brett Anderson and Suede? I thought he liked them since he covered them in 1991?

Brett said Morrissey's shy shtick was boring. Morrissey said Suede had a good idea when they started and then never had another.

I can't remember who said what first or if there was more to it than that. I think Brett slagged off Morrissey first.

I think at some point too Brett or Bernard said something disparaging about Morrissey's cover of My Insatiable One.

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember reading that Brett said he met Morrissey and Morrissey was rude to him. Morrissey, however, said they had never met. I assumed M was lying.

I remember reading that Brett said he met Morrissey and Morrissey was rude to him. Morrissey, however, said they had never met. I assumed M was lying.

Whatever Morrissey says must be true.

tumblr_kztajvziR51qbqb1do1_500.jpg

Brett said Morrissey's shy shtick was boring. Morrissey said Suede had a good idea when they started and then never had another.

I can't remember who said what first or if there was more to it than that. I think Brett slagged off Morrissey first.

I think at some point too Brett or Bernard said something disparaging about Morrissey's cover of My Insatiable One.

Then Bernard turned him down as Alain's replacement.

Something tells me that I doubt Butler ever wanted to be Morrissey's guitarist anyway. He wouldn't have wanted the fuss.

P.S. Moz looks completely pissed in that picture, I hope he didn't offend Brett on the same night! :D

Something tells me that I doubt Butler ever wanted to be Morrissey's guitarist anyway. He wouldn't have wanted the fuss.

P.S. Moz looks completely pissed in that picture, I hope he didn't offend Brett on the same night! :D

Morrissey's like "Oh my gawwwdd, whut d' feck are you wearing? Do you, *hic* do you have mirrors in yer hotel? f***ing hell."

I'd imagine it would be pretty hard for Morrissey to offend someone who was experiencing massive success at the time with hit singles about amyl nitrate, gay sex, drugs, and prostitutes.

Was the 2000 tour a Viva Hate tour? I just don't understand really since Vini wasn't playing, Street was nowhere to be seen and it wasn't like he played the whole album at his gigs, as he had lots of other songs from other albums in the set list.

Re:

Was the 2000 tour a Viva Hate tour? I just don't understand really since Vini wasn't playing, Street was nowhere to be seen and it wasn't like he played the whole album at his gigs, as he had lots of other songs from other albums in the set list.

DAVIE, please look up WIKI on top right of your monitor before you ask a question.

Although some songs from Viva Hate were played in 2000 tour, it's regarded as a part of Oye Esteban tour.

Last edited:
Re:

DAVIE, please look up WIKI on top right of your monitor before you ask a question.

Although some songs from Viva Hate was played in 2000 tour, it's regarded as a part of Oye Esteban tour.

No I won't. I will ask on here because this is what the thread is for. But thank you for your answer.

No it was just called Oye Esteban. If anything, the 2002 tour was the Viva Hate tour...it wasn't, of course, but Morrissey seemed to be experiencing nostalgia for the record at that time. He was playing Suedehead, Alsatian Cousin, Little Man What Now, Everyday Is Like Sunday, Hairdresser On Fire, Sister I'm a Poet, and Maudlin Street on that tour, and spoke highly of the album in the press at least once during that period; I think it was in Q. They asked him what records he was listening to at the time and he said, "Viva Hate...the singer has an incredible voice." (or something to that effect.)

Does any of us know if Morrissey gets any royalties from The Smiths?

I'm guessing Marr gets 25% Joyce gets 25% (after the court case) Rourke gets 10% (after the court case) and Morrissey gets....40%? I don't think so. I did hear that he gets absolutely nothing from The Smiths now. So who gets that 40%?

Does any of us know if Morrissey gets any royalties from The Smiths?

I'm guessing Marr gets 25% Joyce gets 25% (after the court case) Rourke gets 10% (after the court case) and Morrissey gets....40%? I don't think so. I did hear that he gets absolutely nothing from The Smiths now. So who gets that 40%?

Officially Morrissey and Marr get 40% each, but Morrissey claims Joyce extracts a large proportion of his royalties. I don't particularly believe a word Morrissey says

Officially Morrissey and Marr get 40% each, but Morrissey claims Joyce extracts a large proportion of his royalties. I don't particularly believe a word Morrissey says

Can I suggest a sometimes informative site? www.morrissey-solo.com. I think you might really enjoy it.

Merck Mercuriadis said:
The fact is Mike Joyce applies to the court every 6 months and on the basis of his historic judgement - which arguably he has now been paid many times over! - he asks the court to award him Morrissey's Smiths' royalties. As a result of the judgement the court orders Warner UK to pay 100% of Morrissey's Smiths' royalties to Joyce. For Joyce to say that he has not received Morrissey's Smiths' record royalties from the UK - and everywhere in the world for that matter - is as far from the truth as you can possibly get but I am sure he will hide behind his carefully chosen ambiguous words.

http://www.morrissey-solo.com/articles/08/06/20/1512248.shtml?tid=1

Iona Mink said:
"Our conversation took in everything from football and Ireland – he has a home over there – to mortality, his back problems (the end of his promising 5-a-side football career, apparently), not forgetting the bitter finale of the Mike Joyce court cases: “It’s resolved, I’ve paid him,” he assured me, although he had feared that Joyce wanted more.

He revealed he’d returned to Manchester to face The Smiths’ drummer in the dock once more, seven years on from his first High Court defeat. After Morrissey’s subsequent appeals against the judge’s verdict had failed there had been a reluctance or refusal to pay Joyce, which had resulted in the drummer putting “a charge on my mother’s house and a charge on my sister’s house…He was also trying to sue me under the insolvency act, all of which was absolute nonsense.” Finally, it seemed as if the whole drawn-out messy legal business following the death of The Smiths in 1987 had come to an ugly end and Morrissey could now get on with his artistic life. Days earlier Joyce’s legal team had dropped three further claims and, according to a relieved Morrissey, “had finally abandoned the case”."

from http://sabotagetimes.com/music/meetings-with-morrissey/ 30 July 2011

http://www.morrissey-solo.com/threa...or-Smiths-reunion?p=1986776090#post1986776090

Can you provide any substance other than links to stuff we already know?

What do you want? A bank statement?

You said that you don't believe Morrissey when he claimed that Joyce Michael received his portion of Smiths royalties. Merck Mercuriadis at the time provided corroborative information. So what you really meant to say is you don't believe Morrissey, Merck or a judge's edict.

What do you want? A bank statement?

You said that you don't believe Morrissey when he claimed that Joyce Michael received his portion of Smiths royalties. Merck Mercuriadis at the time provided corroborative information. So what you really meant to say is you don't believe Morrissey, Merck or a judge's edict.

No, I didn't say that. I said "I don't particularly believe a word Morrissey says". He has emitted several statements which seem to be more along the lines of how he wants reality to be rather than how it is, and the Joyce situation comes into that. Some money has exchanged hands, that's not the point. Morrissey has written his side of history and I don't necessarily buy it

Back
Top Bottom