The principles of Morrissey (or, what a f***ing sell out)

Ok. Where would you place it on a scale of 0 to 10? 10 being AYNIM.

That's the thing- I honestly don't know. You talked about it being a spectrum- the attitudes and general atmosphere here never seem to stay the same, which makes it fairly unquantifiable and unpredictable. AYNIM less so, but I wouldn't say that the tone and positivity are constant there either.

At this point, though, views that are contrary to Morrissey's almost have to be expressed very strongly and with a certain degree of fanaticism. On this level, you are dealing with a figurehead who wears a shirt saying "f*** Morrissey Solo" or "f*** Fur" or whatever (he's become quite classy in his old age, eh?) or who says publicly that the fast food industry is a worse tragedy than a shooting massacre involving humans (not to beat THAT dead horse, just using it as an example) well...you really have to fight fire with fire.

So even if Theo or anyone else here does stray a bit into radicalism, well, you can hardly blame them. Morrissey doesn't pull punches or mince words, so why should his fans? After all, they learned from the best.

Isn't that kind of apologist? :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I love the idea of Theo trawling through John Lewis.
Never knowingly undersold.

That's the thing- I honestly don't know. You talked about it being a spectrum- the attitudes and general atmosphere here never seem to stay the same, which makes it fairly unquantifiable and unpredictable. AYNIM less so, but I wouldn't say that the tone and positivity are constant there either.

Yes I see what you're saying but isn't it with AYNIM that is it sort of written into the constitution of the site that there shouldn't be any negativity towards Morrissey, his work or his fans? Or have I got that wrong? And that it was formed because some users found this site to be too abrasive? I think at the time of the f*** Morrissey-solo t-shirt, Quiffa was promoting her site as a Morrissey-friendly alternative.

Times that I have been over there if someone writes something deemed a little anti then s/he is surrounded and stomped on until submission. (Although with that said, I don't often visit so certainly no expert.)

I certainly think that the front page comments section here doesn't change that much. It's always a hive of trolls and idiots.

Yes I see what you're saying but isn't it with AYNIM that is it sort of written into the constitution of the site that there shouldn't be any negativity towards Morrissey, his work or his fans? Or have I got that wrong? And that it was formed because some users found this site to be too abrasive? I think at the time of the f*** Morrissey-solo t-shirt, Quiffa was promoting her site as a Morrissey-friendly alternative.

You're correct on the second point- there was one incident in particular that definitely spurred on the creation of the other site, although I can't really remember what it was now. You're a little off on the first though, but a lot of people seem to think that. It's actually:

AYNIM Rules said:
1. R.E.S.P.E.C.T towards Morrissey and the forum members sets the tone of atmosphere here
This means you can critize his choice of trousers (pro jeans, less exited about the blue pants or whatever) his lyrics, music, political views etc. But please only join if you understand the difference between critique and disrespectfulness. If in doubt, imagine he would read your post and you would not like a kicking. It takes guts to be gentle and kind, I trust that we can find that in us.

It's really more about how negative or critical views are expressed, rather than limiting the ability to express them entirely.

You're correct on the second point- there was one incident in particular that definitely spurred on the creation of the other site, although I can't really remember what it was now. You're a little off on the first though, but a lot of people seem to think that. It's actually:

It's really more about how negative or critical views are expressed, rather than limiting the ability to express them entirely.

I see. Thanks for explaining.

Yes, I get it: pictures are fun. But sometimes, the adults need to talk, OK? Run along now.

You and that other cretin Theo are lucky to be even getting pictures. You can't see how pathetic you are with your chin-stroking, nit-picking, boring shit. As if anybody gives a flying f*** for your opinions regarding Morrissey, outside of this dull little place, and even then.

"Imagine" being the operative word there...

That's the other thing I don't understand here is the reluctance to "upset" Morrissey. I read it on the front page the other day where people didn't want other to heckle kristeenyoung, not because it's not a very sociable thing to do but rather because of the fear that Morrissey would hear about it and then "take it out on the audience". What is he going to do? Came round to their house and send them to bed without pudding? Plus, how little credit they give him if they think that he is that petty.

Sorry Theo, I'm derailing your thread. I'll take this elsewhere.

Well, it seems that you obviously give a shit, as you've participated in this little tete-a-tete multiple times now...in this "dull little place" that you keep returning to in order to put me in my place.

But more pressingly, I'd like to hear more about how "lucky" I am to even get your pictures; those savory scraps from your bountiful table of endless intellect...tell me, oh wise one, oh he who is above me, tell me more about how lucky I am, as I stroke my chin and bore you. I look up to your wisdom, I want to learn from you. Teach me. Teach me how to be better.

If I could but touch the hem of your garment, I shall be healed.

4gpdqxl.gif

As usual, Skylarker, right on point.

As for Theo's original point, EVERYONE is "selling out" now, because record/song sales alone can't support music careers. Iggy does it, the Stones do it, everyone with an iconic tune that speaks to a lot of people does it.

Moz says a lot of stupid shit - but I don't care. I listen to the music. Do Catholics stop going to church because the Pope thought it was ok to hide pedophiles? Well, some left the church, sure - but the religion is bigger than that dude in the cone hat.

Does that analogy work?!

This and your post preceding it are two of the best things I've ever, ever read on this site, if not anywhere.

Excellent. Absolutely excellent.

And, inevitably, right on cue, the deluge of the bullshit-apologists begins to follow in retaliation, their ears pricked up in alarm, eager to burn to the ground anything that doesn't support their cozy little notions of how things are.

When you speak bluntly, and without fear, and you say what you mean and have no regard for lies, when you are bravely in defense of the truth...then there is no escaping being called crazy, radical, troubled, pathetic, etc...the majority will do whatever they can to derail you, mock you, trick you, discredit you, and if they can't do any of those things, then they will simply do their best to get rid of you.

Hunks of phony shit. f*** 'em and keep going.

What you wrote was amazing. I am beside myself with astonishment.

It works inasmuch as some people equate Morrissey with a religious figure...

Having said that, I don't know that I'd call Morrissey a "sellout." A hypocrite, but not a sellout.

I mean, he boycotts Canada because of the seal thing...why not boycott America because of the McDonald's chain? Oh, right...because he'd lose too much money.

With ignoring Canada he can afford to make a point. The point becomes secondary when it comes to America. Takes a backseat to returns. Again, it doesn't make him a sellout, just inconsistent in how his beliefs become manifest.

Hypocrite, sellout, it becomes semantics.

Not to sound trite, but the premise of the original post reminds me of the Billy Bragg lyric in 'From Red to Blue:'
"I hate the compromises life forces us to make."

I believe Moz means well and has made no secret of wanting to stay in the lifestyle to which he has become accustomed. The cash register indeed weighs heavy on his back.

With his career seemingly winding down, he cashed in for big payday. I can't really begrudge him that. It's not like his post music career is filled with lucrative options.

If his next and perhaps final album is as lyrically bereft as what was on display during his last Janice Long appearance, then I'll be first on this forum to critic him. I guess that makes me "inconsistent" and hypocritical too. Damn, I too hate the compromises Morrissey forces me to make.

lets hope he can break through and make art that comes from his heart and not from his ego. this will be his truest test. lets send that mug some bless vibes ! come on people, this is what EVOLUTION looks like!

I don't understand the problem, he only has what he has to make a living from. He's a singer so he sells songs, any way he can, we don't buy music anymore, so sell it to film makers for scores , sell it to advertisers for advertisements, sell it to radio stations,or spotify for streaming. they're all going to have to find new ways to earn from what they do.

The John lewis sell bacon in the cafe argument is pathetic, look hard enough and you'll find something to gripe about anywhere, leather suites in the furniture dept, be your age.

We're all selling something even if its only the movement your biceps make when your stocking the shelves at tesco.

No one said boo a few years ago when he was peddling watches for Pagianni, with there leather straps, and lasagne and ham sandwiches in the staff canteen.

Try not to be so hypocritical.

Last edited:
I believe it's best to just like Morrissey for his lyrics/music. Not his views.
His views can sometimes contradict and even change. But he is a simple human being like the rest of us.

It works inasmuch as some people equate Morrissey with a religious figure...

Having said that, I don't know that I'd call Morrissey a "sellout." A hypocrite, but not a sellout.

I mean, he boycotts Canada because of the seal thing...why not boycott America because of the McDonald's chain? Oh, right...because he'd lose too much money.

With ignoring Canada he can afford to make a point. The point becomes secondary when it comes to America. Takes a backseat to returns. Again, it doesn't make him a sellout, just inconsistent in how his beliefs become manifest.

Jesus, do you and that other incredible bore Theo ever shut up? Nobody gives a f***, get over your dull selves and do something productive with your miserable excuses for lives. DAVIE and billybu69 are the only ones making sense here.

Jesus, do you and that other incredible bore Theo ever shut up? Nobody gives a f***, get over your dull selves and do something productive with your miserable excuses for lives. DAVIE and billybu69 are the only ones making sense here.

Could it be that what Skylarker is saying doesn't make sense to you because his intellect is far too out of your comprehensible reach? Rhetorical question. I don't mean for you to humor me.

Could it be that what Skylarker is saying doesn't make sense to you because his intellect is far too out of your comprehensible reach? Rhetorical question. I don't mean for you to humor me.

Could it be that the crap he writes is all too perfectly comprehensible and plainly as dull and worthless as f***? Could it be that you think yourself clever because you can understand said crap? Could it be that you can shove your smug crap up your ass too? Could it be that "his intellect is far too out of your comprehensible reach" is grammatically crap?

Could it be that the crap he writes is all too perfectly comprehensible and plainly as dull and worthless as f***? Could it be that you think yourself clever because you can understand said crap? Could it be that you can shove your smug crap up your ass too? Could it be that "his intellect is far too out of your comprehensible reach" is grammatically crap?

You shouldn't push your coprophilia on other members. It isn't very nice...or sanitary.

Back
Top Bottom