We sounded drunk, never made it on
Passin' through and it's late, the station started to fade
Picked another one up in the very next state

On and on and on and on
What side are you on?
On and on and on and on and

Pretty girl keep growin' up, playin' make-up, wearin' guitar
Growin' old in a bar, ya grow old in a bar
Headed out to San Francisco, definitely not L.A.
Didn't mention your name, didn't mention your name

And if I don't see ya, in a long, long while
I'll try to find you
Left of the dial
Left of the dial
Left of the dial
Left of the dial
Left of the dial
Left of the dial
Left of the dial
Left of the dial

Great song from my fav replacements album but it’s weird how future generations won’t really know what the hell its about. I also love the version of can’t hardly wait recorded around this time

Such a great album. It’s so hard to pick a fav as the style and charms of each song vary so much but d have to pick here comes a regular. If let it be was the replacements last go at being a recklessly immature band, at least on the surface,with tim being the flip side and the start of acknowledging adulthood as the bands myth and narrative read in musical history books I don’t think any song on this record reflects that as well as here comes a regular

not a bad companion book if you are a fan.

It was alright but I found it just to anecdotal and trivial. It’s fine to publish just a collection of stories or comments but I didn’t find many to be to interesting or revealing and was a little disappointed

One of the essential US bands, love them!

Agreed. Westerbergs solo stuff has some gems in it as well. Nothing that’s quite the magic of the moment that was the replacements but 14 songs is imo better than pleased to meet me don’t tell a soul and all shook down. Mono likewise comes close and his last release was extremely unique and moving. For fans of the looser bluesy stuff dead man shake is a win. Tommy’s soloNd bash and pop albums are also worth a look

Yes, liked 14 songs as well, even if it seemed more like All Shook Down then any Replacements-album.
Great as it is, nothing beats Tim/LIB/PTMM!

Yes, liked 14 songs as well, even if it seemed more like All Shook Down then any Replacements-album.
Great as it is, nothing beats Tim/LIB/PTMM!

I didn’t think it sounded anything like all shook down, which was mostly acoustic, myself but to each there own. It’s hard imo to top hootenannys wild wit let it bes mix of youth and isolation and tims worn resignation. There’s some really good bsides as well on the extended stink album and the best of bsides comp

I think both have that rootsy, bluesy feel, always felt like All Shook Down was PW's first solo-album.

Managed to see the band a couple of years ago on their reunion-tour and they were still a wonderful live-band.
As also manifest on the recent great Live at Maxwell's album!

I think both have that rootsy, bluesy feel, always felt like All Shook Down was PW's first solo-album.

Managed to see the band a couple of years ago on their reunion-tour and they were still a wonderful live-band.
As also manifest on the recent great Live at Maxwell's album!

I was sad I didn’t get to see them myself but I had a bunch of things up in the air around that time and didn’t make it to many shows. Only recently have I been able to get out again. I agree about all shook down feeling like a solo album but I found him to be kinda depleted at that time and I think it shows in the songs. 14 songs sounded reinvigorated to me with the reblous knockin on mine coming out of the gate. The album really felt like a highlight of all the things I liked in the replacements. Silver naked ladies and down love were especially rockin, mannequin shop and a few minutes silence we’re super funny and witty pop rock while even here and run away wind all delicate yearning with runaway wind even touching on the topic of age again

Personally I liked "Eventually" quite a bit at the time, too, but few songs compare to "Things" and this:

Agree that’s a great song. Eventually was solid. Good when it’s playing but nothing really stuck with we after I was finished unfortunately. I loved mono though and songs like baby learns to crawl, boring enormous, no place for
you and let’s not belong. Also grandpa boy was the name of the sorta solo side project and dead man shake the name of the album. Kinda awesome lo fi blues rock stuff. Half covers and half originals all instruments played by westerberg. An homage to fifties electric garage blues stuff. 49:00, his last solo album while different was I thought really in the spirit of westerberg. It was released as one track 43 min long with lo fi songs that all sorta bleed into one another with some mostly fully formed songs and some with a more collage vibe . The centerpiece of the album a fab song about the death of westwrbergs father

Always liked this one by PW:

I like the song alright but I wasn’t a fan of the movie or the soundtrack that much. Non album westerberg tracks I love would be

You’re getting married

Like within my reach I think this is one of those songs he didn’t think the band would go for at the time so he just kept it a basement recording. I’ve also always been fond of

Birthday gal

This is a replacements bside but by this point westerbergs influence over the songs was pretty much absolute I think. Also the song he wrote for glen Campbell not to long ago was great

Ghost on the canvas

Back
Top Bottom