The Smiths according to their photographer, Lawrence Watson - Daily Telegraph (UK)

The Smiths according to their photographer (12 photos / captions by Lawrence Watson) - The Telegraph

Excerpt:

watson_london.jpg

"Moz is in his London studio. This is the Interesting Drug single cover, one of Mozzer's early solo single releases."

watson_85421.jpg

"This photo, part of the cover shoot fo the NME in 1987, was quite poignant as it was one of the last taken of the band. Here Johnny, Andy and Mozzer are wrestling together. It depicts the beginning of the end of The Smiths."

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
Great stuff. It's made me feel a bit sad on this Friday morning. Thank goodness for film. How many of those shots could have been deleted on a digital camera by a not so professional photographer? The black and white of Morrissey from the "Interesting Drug" single is perfection in itself.

Wrestling? He looks like he's trying to get away. :(

I hate the banjo pics.

more info on the release and the book

116 pages, I wonder how many unseen pictures [not used in magazines or other books or sleeves or for promotion]
it will have

Sorry to spoil it, but with Peepholism a lot of wonderfull pictures has been shown, not to
name other picture books, but I'm more keen on the release of 25 live, seen and read lot the harsh/rude comments
the NME clip

I hope some day the Rank gig will be released as DVD, not known if it was filmed, but a Smiths DVD live gig
1985 or 1986 would be awesome, but realist as I am , afraid their will never be more than my wish.

' and they say he's mentall, shouting there not much life than Mozipedia'

Last edited:
I looove the first picture! I enjoyed this, it is interesting. These aren't new pics though, are they?

- - - Updated - - -

I hate the banjo pics.

Oh, c'mon they're freaking adorable!:p

I did wonder though, what is Morrissey's connection to the banjo? It seems kinda random...but freaking adorable:blushing:

To be fair, that isn't the exact pic from the ID cover. His gaze is straightforward. Same shoot for sure though.

That is not the pic from the interesting drug single. Do your research...

- marred.

I looove the first picture! I enjoyed this, it is interesting. These aren't new pics though, are they?

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, c'mon they're freaking adorable!:p

I did wonder though, what is Morrissey's connection to the banjo? It seems kinda random...but freaking adorable:blushing:

It's a banjolele, hybrid between a banjo and ukelele. George Formby used to play one - Morrissey has mentioned his admiration of Formby in old interviews. I guess that's what the pics are about :)

The Albert Finney shop was not on Oldham Rd, Manchester but on Broughton Rd, Salford. I know this to be true as this is where I was born and braised and was still there in my formative years in the 1980's, when these photographs were taken.

The Albert Finney shop was not on Oldham Rd, Manchester but on Broughton Rd, Salford. I know this to be true as this is where I was born and braised and was still there in my formative years in the 1980's, when these photographs were taken.

Thank you very much for the correction.

Alice Vincent is one of the lazy journalists who don't do their homework.

She even didn't know Viv was born in 1936, initially commented that she won football pools in 1936.

Yes you're right. It was near Pendleton Station but both the station and the shop are gone now.

Although the photographer says the shop name is just a coincidence, it was actually owned by Albert Finney's dad, Albert Finney.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom