The Smiths Albums From Worst To Best - stereogum.com

I have a problem with the use of the word worst to describe any Smiths album. Ranking should be from great to greatest.

Right.

1. Meat Is Murder
2. Hatful Of Hollow
3. The Smiths
4. Strangeways
5. Queen Is Dead
6. World Won't Listen
7. Louder Than Bombs
8. Everything else.

That's best to worst, for me.

P.

I can't even attempt to rank Smiths albums. Their output was virtually flawless year on year.

Should have been:

1. Meat Is Murder
2. Strangeways, Here We Come
3. The Queen Is Dead
4. The Smiths

This is how I'd rank them. I'd choose the US version (?) of "Meat Is Murder" that includes How Soon. A wonderfully varied album with no real duds unlike every other Smiths effort.
Obviously the title track isn't one to swear by but I still respect its inclusion if only for the defiance it represents.

Does Stereogum seriously have nothing else to write about than a Smiths worst to best album list?

It's hard to rank The Smiths albums. Without saying it's their "worst", the self titled debut album is a little too polished for my tastes on some songs, namely when comparing "Hand In Glove" and "Still Ill" to their Hatful recordings.

I have a problem with the use of the word worst to describe any Smiths album. Ranking should be from great to greatest.
agreed, the negative language though is very "Smiths like" :lbf:

I can't even attempt to rank Smiths albums. Their output was virtually flawless year on year.
I know, I'll try anyways though(its this or look for work more :eek:)
but I am just going with the "big 4"*

Strangeways, Here We Come
The Smiths
The Queen Is Dead
Meat Is Murder

*=even though "Hatful of Hollow" was the first thing I bought of theirs and I played my 1st "Louder Than Bombs" tape to death, literally :cool:

ps: reading the commets on that stereogum page, some of them were a real laugh, we could use a few of those people here these days :thumb:

Another analogy for the ranking of the Smiths albums.....it's like asking a Mom which of her kids is her favorite.

I understand... it's like the fantasy of being a solo artist rather than a member of a band. Who wants to share the spotlight or the stage?

Someone who isn't egomaniacal and actually cares about the music...

Good point. But I was talking about children. Oh wait... ego-maniacal solo artists are like only children, aren't they? They are demanding and need lot's of attention.

Of course, the real reason I began hiding behind a band five years ago after performing solo for six years prior :p

Back
Top Bottom