"The Smiths And Morrissey Legacy Reissue Series" (April 2014, via Passions Just Like Mine)

Re: Article: "The Smiths And Morrissey Legacy Reissue Series" (April 2014, via Passions Just Like Mi

Could be the last of the grand "reissue, repackage" schemes (sorry). The labels DO NOT require Moz's input. He signed contracts to Warner, Universal, etc etc and they own every scrap of music he's ever made. Every demo, live recording… they own it. So why wouldn't this be possible? Moz would NEVER outright endorse, but do you think the labels care? He's signed to Capital now… his old labels don't need to appease him anymore. And if they believe that there's still $$$ to be made off Moz's scraps (and who here wouldn't be tempted?), then they're gonna put it out everything they can. I always expected Rhino in the US to eventually reissue his early solo LPs un-tampered with (Remastered w original track list, artwork, b-sides…) anyway. And this, as a longtime fan is what I prefer (as opposed to his revisionist 'George Lucas Special Edition' versions). If all these rarities exist and are in the label's possession… and if they bothered to team up with a longtime Smiths archivist (PJLM) to help curate these legacy editions… I believe this could be quite wonderfully real! It might still be bullshit, but not impossible.

So, the short version is the thing we all hoped was a hoax - the Cliff Richard news - is true, and the thing we all hoped was true is a hoax. Oh goody.

Stephane should actually be congratulated for this. It is loads of work, and a wonderful what if.

Re: Article: "The Smiths And Morrissey Legacy Reissue Series" (April 2014, via Passions Just Like Mi

Stephane should actually be congratulated for this. It is loads of work, and a wonderful what if.

Yes, I am cumming now. Reading about an imaginary hoax re-issue campaign is SO much fun. Thank you Stephane, truly you have made us all vey happy.

Could be the last of the grand "reissue, repackage" schemes (sorry). The labels DO NOT require Moz's input. He signed contracts to Warner, Universal, etc etc and they own every scrap of music he's ever made. Every demo, live recording… they own it. So why wouldn't this be possible? Moz would NEVER outright endorse, but do you think the labels care? He's signed to Capital now… his old labels don't need to appease him anymore. And if they believe that there's still $$$ to be made off Moz's scraps (and who here wouldn't be tempted?), then they're gonna put it out everything they can. I always expected Rhino in the US to eventually reissue his early solo LPs un-tampered with (Remastered w original track list, artwork, b-sides…) anyway. And this, as a longtime fan is what I prefer (as opposed to his revisionist 'George Lucas Special Edition' versions). If all these rarities exist and are in the label's possession… and if they bothered to team up with a longtime Smiths archivist (PJLM) to help curate these legacy editions… I believe this could be quite wonderfully real! It might still be bullshit, but not impossible.

While this, for the most part, holds up, would it not be true that the soundboard (or otherwise) live recordings NOT be owned by anyone but Moz?

Steady on everyone, this isn't as daft as it sounds. I know there were cds with unreleased material ready to go. A chap on a Facebook thread said it better than me as follows: "Rhino was working on an extensive reissue series in 2004/2005, coming off the heels of the success of You Are The Quarry. Each solo album got special treatment of remastering with extra bonus material, but the project was scrapped (probably via Moz). There were a handful of reference CDs made for Rhino employees to verify the content and check for errors (called reference discs) and those are exceedingly rare and highly sought after by collectors.". All this is 100% true. If this is the same putative release, then the contentiousness is only about the content. Some of it is correct, as is my recollection. I never got to see the full tracklistings, so I don't know fully but some it if seems familiar. And yes, there ARE one or two out there with these cds.

P.

Last edited:

hopefully Stephane will take PayPal via his website

Would Parlophone really issue a 'definitive master' of 'You Arsenal', only to have it made obsolete by Warmers(sic)-Rhino-Universal issuing a superior 'legacy' version of the same album two months later?

hopefully Stephane will take PayPal via his website
Am I alone in finding most bonus material a waste of time?
Sure, some 'B' sides and decent recordings of live stuff can be worthwhile but if something is left off an album it's for a good reason,ie not good enough.
All the Beatles stuff on those Anthology albums was simply substandard.
Rather than chasing Moz's farts recorded on hidden microphones, time would be more usefully enagaged finding new music to listen to.
The best stuff is already out there in the remainder bins.

Sure, some 'B' sides and decent recordings of live stuff can be worthwhile but if something is left off an album it's for a good reason,ie not good enough.
Rather than chasing Moz's farts recorded on hidden microphones, time would be more usefully enagaged finding new music to listen to.

I know it's wrong but I want it all and will make time to hear even the farts

While this, for the most part, holds up, would it not be true that the soundboard (or otherwise) live recordings NOT be owned by anyone but Moz?

I would think that it depends on who paid for what. Moz's loyalty to the ol' label system may be what bites him in the end. Studio time, live recordings… I doubt these were paid for out of Moz's pocket. As for old home demos and such… calling Mr. Joyce...

Yep. A lot of it wasn't released for a reason. Please Help The Cause Against Loneliness is a good example. For me that's right down there with Roy's Keen for the worst thing he's ever done.

On the other had Treat Me Like A Human Being is a lovely little thing, and it perhaps only missed a release because at the time nearly every track, b-sides included, were outstanding.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, I am cumming now. Reading about an imaginary hoax re-issue campaign is SO much fun. Thank you Stephane, truly you have made us all vey happy.

Not sure if you are just disgusting, just unpleasant, or both.

Both.

I know it's wrong but I want it all and will make time to hear even the farts
This could result in another trial, if Messrs. Joyce and Rourke get (er) wind of it. Who's to say, from a mere sound recording, just which member is contributing most to the track? Fair enough, if they're on the DVD then we should be able to work it out based on who gets asked to pull whose finger, and so on.

Flatulent, tedious and unreplyable?

The WarMer typo and the April 31 date are the strongest clues IMHO that this is likely not real.

No 'Kit'? No 'Striptease With a Difference'? No 'I Want a Boy For My Birthday'?

No 'Kit'? No 'Striptease With a Difference'? No 'I Want a Boy For My Birthday'?

'I Want A Boy For My Birthday' and 'Striptease With A Difference' are there but 'Me Satisfied', 'Kit' and 'Action Man' are missing.

Just for a moment there........JUST FOR A MOMENT....... I was the happiest man on earth.
It's worn off, now...........Oh, well.........I wouldn't have been able to afford them, anyway.

Morrissey will find a way to stop these releases

Steady on everyone, this isn't as daft as it sounds. I know there were cds with unreleased material ready to go. A chap on a Facebook thread said it better than me as follows: "Rhino was working on an extensive reissue series in 2004/2005, coming off the heels of the success of You Are The Quarry. Each solo album got special treatment of remastering with extra bonus material, but the project was scrapped (probably via Moz). There were a handful of reference CDs made for Rhino employees to verify the content and check for errors (called reference discs) and those are exceedingly rare and highly sought after by collectors.". All this is 100% true. If this is the same putative release, then the contentiousness is only about the content. Some of it is correct, as is my recollection. I never got to see the full tracklistings, so I don't know fully but some it if seems familiar. And yes, there ARE one or two out there with these cds.

P.

Peter, I can't find the thread right now, but Stephane shared that information - with full bonus track listings - on the General Discussion forum circa 2008-9 - I know because I wrote a post in the same thread that was my best ear-to-the-ground attempt at compiling an unreleased solo track list. The reissue program was to encompass Viva Hate through Southpaw Grammar - all were to be single disc reissues with the exception of Southpaw, wherein disc two would have been the complete Miraval sessions. I recall that Rhino instigated the effort, but it was timed for roughly 2001-2002, which makes sense given that they put together their Best Of around the same time. The reference discs were compiled (and, obviously, leaked to some) but Morrissey was more interested at the time in finding a new contract and didn't give the go-ahead, such as was apparently needed.

Frankly, I've always regarded Stephane highly and think he is one of the most credible sources of Morrissey information to be found online. This gimmick seems out of character - if it's intended as a wind-up, there was an enormous amount of work that affects, relatively, quite few. I'm genuinely perplexed.

Last edited:

Peter, I can't find the thread right now, but Stephane shared that information - with full bonus track listings - on the General Discussion forum circa 2008-9 - I know because I wrote a post in the same thread that was my best ear-to-the-ground attempt at compiling an unreleased solo track list. The reissue program was to encompass Viva Hate through Southpaw Grammar - all were to be single disc reissues with the exception of Southpaw, wherein disc two would have been the complete Miraval sessions. I recall that Rhino instigated the effort, but it was timed for roughly 2001-2002, which makes sense given that they put together their Best Of around the same time. The reference discs were compiled (and, obviously, leaked to some) but Morrissey was more interested at the time in finding a new contract and didn't give the go-ahead, such as was apparently needed.

Frankly, I've always regarded Stephane highly and think he is one of the most credible sources of Morrissey information to be found online. This gimmick seems out of character - if it's intended as a wind-up, there was an enormous amount of work that affects, relatively, quite few. I'm genuinely perplexed.

I think this is it?
http://www.morrissey-solo.com/threads/105173-Revelation-tracks-discussion/page2?highlight=reissue

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom