The Smiths - Heavy Track (Instrumental) - full version or fan edit?

Isn't the 'long' version meant to be 4.41mins - this runs at 4.48.
The fade in seems odd for a demo too.
Never say never though :)
I think it needs a good close-up look in audacity.
Thanks for sharing.
The good will out - fingers crossed.
Regards,
FWD.

It sounds -and looks (through Audacity)- that the last 15 seconds have been put on repeat and the track is slower than the previously leaked version.

Whilst IR is on hiatus and to save me digging through countless dvd-rs, do you have the file to hand?
Cheers,
FWD.
I've never heard of this track and have just found a 2.04 version on YouTube. Does anyone know the story behind it? It sounds not unlike Draize Train and even seems to be in the same key, so maybe it morphed into that?

I've never heard of this track and have just found a 2.04 version on YouTube. Does anyone know the story behind it? It sounds not unlike Draize Train and even seems to be in the same key, so maybe it morphed into that?

That's interesting. Could be! I always thought of it being later than that... probably early 1987 or so, mostly because of Mike's drumming, which improved noticeably over the 4 years of the band.

Edit: I see FWD's link confirms this. Maybe I had read that before, too. Thanks FWD!

This info is about as much that is ever shared about it:
http://www.passionsjustlikemine.com/songs/songs-heavytrack.htm
Regards,
FWD.

That's interesting. Could be! I always thought of it being later than that... probably early 1987 or so, mostly because of Mike's drumming, which improved noticeably over the 4 years of the band.

Edit: I see FWD's link confirms this. Maybe I had read that before, too. Thanks FWD!
How strange that they wrote and recorded a track in the same key as Draize Train, sounding much like Draize Train (only not as interesting) a year later. You'd expect the stronger track to grow out of the weaker track, not the other way around. Maybe a symptom of Johnny's burnout and general dope-headedness?

How strange that they wrote and recorded a track in the same key as Draize Train, sounding much like Draize Train (only not as interesting) a year later. You'd expect the stronger track to grow out of the weaker track, not the other way around. Maybe a symptom of Johnny's burnout and general dope-headedness?

I always thought of it as just a general experimentation with a heavier sound, trying to follow up in the vein of Shoplifters. I'm sure even the Smiths had some weak jams -- this one just got recorded. :) Though perhaps you have a point, as Johnny also inadvertently recycled Ask for I Won't Share You around this same time.

I think 'wrote and recorded' is putting it a bit strongly. It sounds to me like an idea that they were kicking around that never really developed into anything. The obvious reason for that is that it is indeed rather similar to 'Draize Train' and indeed 'The Queen is Dead' and 'London'. I reckon it was an interesting little ditty that came out of an improvisation and never went anywhere.

I always thought of it as just a general experimentation with a heavier sound, trying to follow up in the vein of Shoplifters. I'm sure even the Smiths had some weak jams -- this one just got recorded. :) Though perhaps you have a point, as Johnny also inadvertently recycled Ask for I Won't Share You around this same time.
Oh Mathew, now you've got me sitting here singing Ask over I Won't Share You! You're not wrong - at least for a fair chunk of it. How very interesting. Maybe another sign that they really did split at the right time.

EDIT: Although, if you were Status Quo, you could perform this trick endlessly and fill entire albums with it.

Can someone please re-up this? Any ideas yet whether its the full length demo or a fan edit?

?

Back
Top Bottom