The Smiths / Morrissey on the radio thread

Jukebox Jury

Retired
Today Revolution Radio (Oldham based 96.2FM) played 'Ask' around 10am and right now is playing First Of The Gang.

I thought I'd create this post and people simply add to it when they hear a song on the radio.
Just write in the song and radio station / location and see what happens. How often and where are these songs being played??:guitar::guitar:

Jukebox Jury

Ok, because this is Uruguay, and it's terribly rare: I went downtown yesterday and on the bus I heard Panic, and on the way back not only You have killed me but also Dashboard (Johnny!) :guitar:

When I was at the Gap outlet store the other day, I heard a cover of Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This Before, hip hop style. :guitar: Not quite on topic but close.

When I was at the Gap outlet store the other day, I heard a cover of Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This Before, hip hop style. :guitar: Not quite on topic but close.

OK, I'll accept cover versions, songs played in shops, TV, on buses.... anywhere in fact!

Jukebox Jury

When I went to Borders to buy Greta's Tits, THPGU was playing on the storewide sound system. All I had to do is ask the music department guy whether they had the deluxe edition of what was playing. (And yes, they did.) And this was the weekend that R.E.M.'s Accelerate was on full display in about 20 locations in the store!

but as i visited this site anyway i thought i copy the link in here of a "!radio thread" (archived thread )
http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showthread.php?t=71862&highlight=radio+eins&page=2

the radio in germany is very awful its very different to england and US Awho have at least quite a few alternative stations who play "good music" alll day and not only 1 hour at midnight as one or two radio station do

but we have one very good one this radio station in berlin who do play moz the smiths quite often
: RADIO EINS
often in the afternoon !
i dont have time to listen to them evEryday but i hear THE SMITHS AND MORRISSEY QUITE often THERE i bet they surely got played the last days
...i remember bigmouth got played
"YOU JUST HAVEN´T EARNED IT YET BABY
(!)at 5.35 in the afternoon! (5.34 p.m.)on march 6 th
(a song that fits perfect for radio by the way,aquite a underrated song)

they played "LAST NIGHT I DREAMT THAT SOMEBODY LOVED ME" last year
on the 26th of DECEMBER around midday 1.00/2.00 p.m.
which did match perfectly with my mood on christmas last year
its the radio station who did broadcast the morrissey concert in berlin 2006 so you know they must be good..

they dont play "alternative" (whatever that term means nowadays) only at the evening but all day actually
i did hear belle and sebastian in the morning
even john peel had a his own show there only for a short time...(not a rerun of th his uk show his own show esp for germany)
next to "alternative" they play pretty much everything you wouldnt hear on daytimeradio (esp daytime radio "worldmusic-another awful term,jazz electronic avantgarde stuff etc)
not only the known indie bands also unknown stuff and some unreleased bands

a very very good station highly recommended http://www.radioeins.de/
i can hear it via satelite thank god (astra germany) but you can also hear them via podcast

it seems that they adopt moz as one of their faves im not sure if he is already a foundation artist there but if you ever got to know the radio bradcasting landscape of germany you will be lighting a candle if you hear the smiths/moz on radio..
(wiill try to look for a article about the radio landscape)
a rolling stone journalist who also is aradio bradcaster there who is VERY fond of moz ( he plays him quite often a did several interviews for the german RS (which are pretty good interviews)

etc today
hot chip ,Erlend Øye gonzalez around midday today
and really good evening programmes
fugazi got played at the evening and much more stuff i cannot remeber

discovered some of the obscurest music there ....

Last edited:
It is amazing that this thread was started. I was walking through...of all places...the grocery store this morning and they were playing "Everyday Is Like Sunday". Oh, and not some bad remake or sappy elevator version...it was Morrissey...our boy...singing his song! I was so excited!!! :guitar:

First of the Gang played at half time at Hillsborough about a month ago. Better than the footie!!

Revolution Radio has a slot in the afternoon, called 'Cover Up' where you can text in and choose an original song and a cover of it.
All week I've been texting in 'That's Entertainment' and they are playing Morrissey's version RIGHT NOW!!!! :guitar::guitar:

Jukebox Jury

As I type this, "this charming man" is being played on NME TV.

I know it's not the radio,but with all the recent goings on with the NME maybe someone assoicated with them "bears no grudges".. ouch..

but we have one very good one this radio station in berlin who do play moz the smiths quite often
: RADIO EINS

That's right, they play a LOT of Moz/Smiths stuff. The songs I remember being played recently:

This Charming Man
Girlfriend In A Coma
Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me
Bigmouth Strikes Again
Panic

I think they don't play Morrissey that often, but whenever a new single is out, he seems to be on heavy rotation there.

And they aired the full Berlin show from 2006!

That being said, Radio Eins is my favorite radio station. Not only because of the music, but because of its general mood. The DJs are intelligent and funny and they have a lot of useful information, from science over politics to everything else.

Re: smiths mentioned in terminator

What the hell has Terminator and the Sarah Connor Chronicles with the Radio Thread?? I bet you know who moved it here!

I never hear Morrissey/The Smiths on the radio here in America, but this past week at work I got a call from one of our people at the off site warehouse and right away I recognized Suedehead playing in the background! I totally lost track of what they were calling me about as I was trying to figure out if it was a CD or the radio they were listening too.... I never did figure out what the problem was... I think it worked itself out...

And it turns out they were listening to the radio!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom