The Smiths: My Story – An Evening with Mike Joyce (Wolverhampton, July 28, 2017)

The Smiths: My Story – An Evening with Mike Joyce - Light House

40275_Mike-Joyce-Event-Web.jpg

A rare chance to hear the story of Mike Joyce, drummer of legendary band The Smiths, on his first visit to Light House.

After the audience event with Mike live in cinema one, we will have an after show party featuring Mike as a guest DJ, with local comedian / Smiths DJ Andrew McBurney.

Event Timings
Lock Works bar open all day pre-event.

8.30 – 9.30pm
Mike Joyce – his story, live in Cinema One.

9.30pm – late
After show party featuring DJ spot from Mike Joyce plus Andrew McBurney’s Smiths Disco

Late bar in Lock Works.

Do you have a question for Mike? Submit it to [email protected] and we’ll send the best through to him.

We can’t wait to welcome Mike and a legion of fans to Light House.

PLACES ARE STRICTLY LIMITED so early booking is advised.

Tickets are £20 and available on the blue link to our online booking system on the right, or by calling 01902 716 055 between 9am and 9pm. If the link is not showing, just give us a call.

Regards,
FWD.

Last edited by a moderator:
We can see that Morrissey is the only obstacle to reuniting the Smiths. Not Mike J. or the lawsuit.

Which is exactly what the judge decided so we agree.

We don't agree at all. The judge decided to nullify the true agreement settled in the begining of the band's life, which was executed without any claim during all the years the band was playing.
The judge replaced the original agreement by an agreement of his own, completly unfair and far from the true involvement of the members in the band, simply because the original was not put on a paper. The principle of formal justice was applyed, invoking a queer law -in the country of common law-, instead of the principle of material justice. That's a judicial decision and the judicial system of the country from which it came has to answer for it.
But a judicial decision can not and should not be used as the single parameter to evaluate the counduct of a human being, since judicial systems don't make justice or ethical judgements. They just intend to apply the general law to a single case, and law, as we already know, is one of the main methods of social control, they are not designed or applied to make justice. Justice was not made. Social control was made.

But they were never going to reunite Quando x3?

Despite the bad feelings right after the split between Moz and Marr, the option would still be open but the courtcase ruined it all definitely and I thought if there ever was someone hoping for a reunion in original form it would be Mike Joyce.
Look, I am not saying he is the only one to blame.
So there was no intention to reunite but the option was still open and the only reason for that was the exceptional bond there has been, personally and musically between Moz and Marr. That was confirmed by Johnny Marr in his revealing talk with Moz many years later when they talked about working together again. But then it would be without Mike Joyce.
But it went all wrong due to the court case.
This is just my opinion.

Despite the bad feelings right after the split between Moz and Marr, the option would still be open but the courtcase ruined it all definitely and I thought if there ever was someone hoping for a reunion in original form it would be Mike Joyce.
Look, I am not saying he is the only one to blame.
So there was no intention to reunite but the option was still open and the only reason for that was the exceptional bond there has been, personally and musically between Moz and Marr. That was confirmed by Johnny Marr in his revealing talk with Moz many years later when they talked about working together again. But then it would be without Mike Joyce.
But it went all wrong due to the court case.
This is just my opinion.

If you read Marrs book, Mike took a lot of convincing to join the band in the first place and I have ssen him on a few occasions over the years and he doesn't seem like a bloke with many regrets?

Morrissey teased Johnny with the "maybe" in that pub in 2009, then just blew him off. Cut off contact.Never answered. That was not because of Joyces courtcase . Johnny never even speculated that it could be. That was between Johnny and Moz.

If you read Marrs book, Mike took a lot of convincing to join the band in the first place and I have ssen him on a few occasions over the years and he doesn't seem like a bloke with many regrets?

You have way better insight then me cause I don't know him.
He must have some regrets though. In hindsight.
He must be a human being. He is not perfect.
He had a great career as a drummer, and a very good one, in the band that was at the time the greatest band in the world and the darlings of the media and the let's say intelligentia cause they were new, exciting and different.
Even Moz must have been thinking in hindsight he could have handled it differently.
Of course they won't tell you that.

Morrissey teased Johnny with the "maybe" in that pub in 2009, then just blew him off. Cut off contact.Never answered. That was not because of Joyces courtcase . Johnny never even speculated that it could be. That was between Johnny and Moz.

But I didn't say and meant to be implying the talks of Moz and Marr in 2009 to work together again failed due to Mike Joyce. I thought he was out of the picture anyway if Moz and Marr decided to start working again together.

You are saying Moz was teasing Marr, but I feel, don't know for sure, they were both testing eachother to see if they could work together again. I guess both found out they changed a lot and maybe felt that special bond, musically and personally was no longer there and if they worked together again it would be only possible as professional musicians and with a business objective only. I think both came to the conclusion that wasn't enough for them. It was a strange and difficult situation for both I guess. Delicate.
All time sake, nostalgic feelings and good memories.
Maybe Moz cut it of earlier then Johnny wanted. Dunno.

We don't agree at all. The judge decided to nullify the true agreement settled in the begining of the band's life, which was executed without any claim during all the years the band was playing.
The judge replaced the original agreement by an agreement of his own, completly unfair and far from the true involvement of the members in the band, simply because the original was not put on a paper. The principle of formal justice was applyed, invoking a queer law -in the country of common law-, instead of the principle of material justice. That's a judicial decision and the judicial system of the country from which it came has to answer for it.
But a judicial decision can not and should not be used as the single parameter to evaluate the counduct of a human being, since judicial systems don't make justice or ethical judgements. They just intend to apply the general law to a single case, and law, as we already know, is one of the main methods of social control, they are not designed or applied to make justice. Justice was not made. Social control was made.

Lookey here: Someone with a brain.

My personal take: I believe Johnny and Morrissey deserved more money, end of story. But I would also like to add, if The Smiths were my band, and this is just who I am (not bragging, just who I am) I would've made it an equal share band. Keep in mind though, I am also not aware that Geoff Travis was a moron and completely unable to properly handle a successful band such as The Smiths, so it does get complicated. Morrissey probably had the brains and the foresight to prop himself up knowing his and Johnny's worth with money. The fact remains Joyce and Andy (more Joyce than Andy) were replaceable as far as "The Smiths" were concerned and those are the facts as I see them.

A lot of "convincing", right, because U2 was just banging on Joyce's door amongst many many other "offers". :lbf:

We can see that Morrissey is the only obstacle to reuniting the Smiths. Not Mike J. or the lawsuit.

more complicated than that. I think both Morrissey and Marr and the differences between them would be the largest obstacle, but the court case left a bad enough taste in Morrissey's mouth to give him pause about reuniting, because I believe he feels Marr didn't say enough or do much during the court proceedings, so he felt alone in the fight.

'But a judicial decision can not and should not be used as the single parameter to evaluate the conduct of a human being, since judicial systems don't make justice or ethical judgements. They just intend to apply the general law to a single case, and law, as we already know, is one of the main methods of social control, they are not designed or applied to make justice. Justice was not made. Social control was made.'

:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

In an interview Seymore Stein was asked if he knew why the Smiths broke up. His reply was priceless."We all know why the Smiths broke up."

But that tells us nothing.
He was the Sire labelboss at the time I believe, in the US and despite all other things, he was in the first place a shrewd and good businessman.
He saw the potential and the talent of Moz and Marr immediate and he was clever enough to keep his mouth shut when problems occurred ,cause hey, you never know what the future brings and he himself kept that possible business opportunity open. He dealt with that before.

We're not dealing with some kind of idiot here.
This was not Geoff Travis with his indie label not able to handle his biggest moneymaker aka The Smiths.
For a label boss he showed the commercial insight of a grocery store. A small one.

In an interview Seymore Stein was asked if he knew why the Smiths broke up. His reply was priceless."We all know why the Smiths broke up."

One of those acts was The Smiths. They could have been huge in the US but it never happened. Why?

It’s obvious what happened. You know and I know it.

Was it down to the “M” word? Morrissey?

It wasn’t the “M” word. It was the “F” word – friction. That’s the word. The friction between the two of them [Johnny Marr and Morrissey] was the reason.

I am very friendly with Johnny and I even have a relationship with Morrissey – which is not easy. I go out of my way to keep that relationship going because he is one of the very few artists – and I would put Johnny in the same category – who is a genius.

It’s a really great, great shame [they split]. They just couldn’t get along. I think Morrissey had a problem getting on with people. He said some terrible things to me and then sort of apologised. It doesn’t matter. We still speak. I love him and I love his taste in other music.

He is a big rockabilly fan and I love that stuff. It is very sad. But these things happen. It happened on a much bigger level. The Beatles should have stayed together. Their work on their own is very, very good but nothing like when it was The Beatles.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom