The Smiths nominated for Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame 2015

Re: Vote for the 2015 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductees (including The Smiths)

No thanks.

The Smiths is against the establishment, no need to be included in a showbiz shoulder-patting crowd.

Last edited:
C'mon Cancer Sympathy Vote! It might be his last year...let's give him this. :tears: :p

You do realise, if they did get inducted, the only four Smiths who would turn up would be Mike Joyce, Andy Rourke, Craig Gannon and Dale Hibbert? Maybe they could play 'Money Changes Everything' - that would be quite interesting.

True. I've posted something similar.

Shouldn't it be called 'My 10% Cut Changed Everything' or 'We agreed 10 but I now need 25
to feed the meter' or 'Drummer Boy Lied' or 'I'm on legal aid, so I can lie about anything' or 'We left
you to feed EMI and did a runner. '

Meanwhile, 'Whose Sorry Now' seems a fitting reply from the master. Time has moved on
and he is well shot of those 3.

I feel the temperature rising, as The King sings (without a drummer.)

x

Unfortunately, they've snubbed Craig a bit with their description:

...The group was a quartet, but its two driving wheels were lyricist/frontman Morrissey and ace guitarist Johnny Marr...

I always say I don't care about RARHOF and that kind of thing, but then when someone I really like makes it in (especially when I don't expect it, like the Beastie Boys), I get all excited and the ceremony is all emotional and blah blah blah. So really I'm a dirty hypocrite and I would LOVE to see the Smiths make it into this meaningless institution that I don't care about. VOTE!

I'll also really enjoy the dramatics that will ensue if they do make it in. I mean…can you imagine? I can't even put money on whether Morrissey would show up or issue a Lydon-esque statement. I'm 50/50 right now.

My attempt at a mid-year dramatic moment poll was pre-mature. The drama just keeps on coming. I hope someone (KP) does an end of the year one and good luck limiting it to 15 choices. Back on topic, we could vote The Smiths into the top 5 if we organized a proper campaign over it. Do you really think Moz made #2 in that BBC Icon poll over Macca but behind Attenborough in a totally legit way? Does anyone remember BBC issuing a statement that votes from the same IP Address would not count twice? Do you think that statement was directed at Beatles' fans? Unite and take over.

http://www.morrissey-solo.com/threads/132247-Most-dramatic-Morrissey-moment-in-2014-so-far

C'mon Cancer Sympathy Vote! It might be his last year...let's give him this. :tears: :p

He would probably prefer getting into the HOF by himself, not with The Smiths. What have the rest of them (speaking here mainly of Rourke and Joyce, to a lesser degree Marr) done for him to let them ride his coattails? If they're relevant, it's because Morrissey has remained relevant and stayed in the news, and they are only in it because of their association with him.

I would love to see them get inducted. Also, is this sort of notion that he'd be up for touring with Johnny/The Smiths? I can't help but think that due to his recent health scares, he realizes it might be time to bury past differences?

Q: You remain faithful to a very traditional kind of pop and are impervious to technology. Are you worried about becoming an antique?

A: I'm at an age when one should no longer be making music. Many composers of classical music died at age 34. And I'm still here, and nobody knows what to do with me. The audience that I have is very young, which leads me to think that the songs of the Smiths, as with those of the Ramones, are more significant now than before.

He would probably prefer getting into the HOF by himself, not with The Smiths. What have the rest of them (speaking here mainly of Rourke and Joyce, to a lesser degree Marr) done for him to let them ride his coattails? If they're relevant, it's because Morrissey has remained relevant and stayed in the news, and they are only in it because of their association with him.

Yeah no kidding. Sting is nominated this year, were The Police ever nominated?

Morrissey is a crazy mixed up mess of contradictions, who publicly rails against 'the establishment' and award ceremonies, yet is also utterly desperate for recognition and applause.
If they actually got in, there's no telling what he'd do.
My guess is either refuse to attend, or only agree to accept it on his own, or possibly just with Marr. There's no way the lawnmower parts will be allowed in the same room.

Morrissey is a crazy mixed up mess of contradictions, who publicly rails against 'the establishment' and award ceremonies, yet is also utterly desperate for recognition and applause.
If they actually got in, there's no telling what he'd do.
My guess is either refuse to attend, or only agree to accept it on his own, or possibly just with Marr. There's no way the lawnmower parts will be allowed in the same room.

I think Moz might give Andy a pass but not Mike Joyce. We'll never see the likes of those four together in close proximity ever again.

I think Marr, Joyce, and Rourke show. Joyce & Rourke will probably enjoy getting out of the house and a free meal.

Morrissey won't show because he will say he had to be at the love of his life Nancy Sinatra's first concert of her 3 month residence at the Bellagio in Vegas.

Stevie Ray Vaughan is a gimme. Lou Reed is already in with The Velvet Underground and Sting with The Police (why would you put someone in twice?). Of the rest, none really screams "Put me in!". I always find it shocking how little people know of Morrissey and The Smiths once you step away from the fan sites. Given the other names, I'd be shocked if they didn't get in. I think I'd also be shocked if they did.

As for Marr, he wouldn't come within two timezones of the ceremony.

Stevie Ray Vaughan is a gimme. Lou Reed is already in with The Velvet Underground and Sting with The Police (why would you put someone in twice?). Of the rest, none really screams "Put me in!". I always find it shocking how little people know of Morrissey and The Smiths once you step away from the fan sites. Given the other names, I'd be shocked if they didn't get in. I think I'd also be shocked if they did.

As for Marr, he wouldn't come within two timezones of the ceremony.

On the Facebook post everyone commenting has no idea who The Smiths or Moz are. These are all classic rock fans, The Smiths are too indie for them.

I agree with MozRecording, even if he is an old guy, a Mod, and very coy about his sexual bent (which is none of my business). I can't get the Ass avatar out of my head but I don't see him as a smoking skeleton. I really like MR.

The Smiths can beat everyone but Green Day, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Lou Reed (Velvet Underground or not, he will get in). The Marvellettes have a good shot and I doubt Moz would mind...they are the sleeper here. Kraftwerk deserve it (no Kraftwerk - no Depeche Mode, no New Order, no Pet Shop Boys, no Erasure, but don't take my word for it, take Martin Gore's). Still, I don't think Kraftwerk will get in...too weird for the committee and seemingly more esteemed by those bands that followed in their footsteps than in the music industry.

I think it comes down to Sting vs. The Smiths for that 5th and final spot. Sting is in with The Police and that is to our advantage...but given that he is nominated, had a solo career, is a music industry staple, he has that insider's insider track.

Green Day, Vaughan, and Reed are in. The rest is up for grabs. The Smiths have always been the critics darlings and I can see them making it this year with this field.

Slipping in the poll...

1. Stevie Ray Vaughan 17.25%
2. Nine Inch Nails 14.44%
3. Green Day 13.63%
4. Kraftwerk 7.86%
5. Joan Jett & the Blackhearts 7.00%
6. Lou Reed 6.23%
7. Bill Withers 5.93%
8. Sting 5.90%
9. The Smiths 5.04%
10. N.W.A 4.41%
11. The Paul Butterfield Blues Band 3.88%