The Smiths nominated for Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame 2015

Re: Vote for the 2015 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductees (including The Smiths)

No thanks.

The Smiths is against the establishment, no need to be included in a showbiz shoulder-patting crowd.

Last edited:
If I were to choose five out of these nominees...

The Smiths
Kraftwerk
Joan Jett & the Blackhearts
Lou Reed
N.W.A

And someone should write a program that just constantly votes for The Smiths......"and in a record setting vote.....The Smiths are in with 8.7 billion votes...."

Fred, I make a joke. When Green Day get in, you may want to hide. FATWA. Just kidding. Hope all is well.

I love Green Day, but until Descendents, the Mats, Hüsker Dü, etc get in (never) they don't deserve it.

Doris Day will rise from the dead (I've no idea if she's currently consuming oxygen) and stand on a stage with Mike Joyless before Morrissey ever even considers the prospect. [You do the rhyming.]

I mean... Cleveland only smells 1/100th as bad as Mike Joyless, and even that won't draw insects and vultures. At least Cleveland makes Akron [pronounced Aaaaaaaykron] seem survivable.

Just to make sure that my point is made for anyone translating this: Morrissey will never appear onstage with that drummer he employed in the 80's. Additionally, I hate Cleveland and Ohio as a hole.

I think Moz might give Andy a pass but not Mike Joyce. We'll never see the likes of those four together in close proximity ever again.

You know, no one close will never forgive what dozy Joyce did.

I was going to type more but actions, names and comments just cannot describe
that piece of work, for what he did, especially with all the legal chasing after the judgement and so on, which
he also never paid for because he was on legal aid. For some reason.

I mean, his 10% was good enough but he wasted it all. That's not anyone's fault but his own.

Never Forgive Someone

You know, no one close will never forgive what dozy Joyce did.

I was going to type more but actions, names and comments just cannot describe
that piece of work, for what he did, especially with all the legal chasing after the judgement and so on, which
he also never paid for because he was on legal aid. For some reason.

I mean, his 10% was good enough but he wasted it all. That's not anyone's fault but his own.

Never Forgive Someone

In simpler terms, what she said. [See above.]

Fellow Moz and Smith fans, please unite and take over! Please go on and vote for the smiths and comment on rolling stone in favor of them!

Interesting top 5 from Huff Post:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mark-...must-go-into-the-rock-and-roll_b_5963752.html

...here's what the Class of '15 should look like

Chic. If you ever meet Nile Rodgers, don't let him hear you call Chic a disco act. Since forming the group in 1977 with bassist Bernard Edwards, whom he met on the New York subway when both were headed home from gigs, the guitarist has eschewed the label, preferring to think of himself as a traditional musician first. Though the band turned out some of the disco era's biggest hits ("Le Freak," "Good Times"), Chic's biggest impact may have come from its influence on other artists in a huge variety of musical genres. Rap wouldn't be where it is today without "Rapper's Delight," for instance, which sampled the bass line from "Good Times" (a riff also used by Hall of Fame members Blondie and Queen). Two decades later, Chic's music was being sampled by rappers like Will Smith and Diddy, and less than a year ago, Rodgers was accepting a Grammy for his work with Daft Punk and Pharrell Williams. Is Chic responsible for every hit song of the past 37 years? No, but it's responsible for a lot of them.

The Smiths. Unless you have been living under a rock for the past couple of decades, you know a Smiths song the second you hear Johnny Marr's guitar. Whether picking out the bouncy opening notes of "This Charming Man" or the haunting echo of "How Soon Is Now?," the sheer uniqueness of his style was overshadowed only by the one-of-a-kind vocals of Morrissey, who as a solo artist in the decades since the band's 1987 breakup has maintained a striking and unmatched loyalty from fans. As a group, The Smiths were no less vital, boldly combining the sharp observation and sardonic wit of punk lyrics with the musical accessibility of early '80s pop and new wave. The band still holds a presence on modern rock radio, speaking to both the timelessness of its music and its influence on subsequent generations of performers. Morrissey and Marr have long vowed to never again perform together, and the singer is notoriously anti-establishment and would probably hate being associated with something like the Hall; but, given his recent revelation that he is battling cancer, this may be the time to recognize the band and hope against hope for a one-off reunion. Hey, if Courtney Love and Dave Grohl can hug it out at the Hall's induction ceremony, so can these guys.

Stevie Ray Vaughan. Nearly every Hall of Fame class includes at least one member who is inducted posthumously, and while Lou Reed is an honorable consideration this year, most of his influential work came as a member of The Velvet Underground (already in the Hall). Vaughan, then, is the perfect choice to fulfill that unspoken quota. That is hardly to say, however, that the bluesman is unworthy on his own musical merits. Like The Smiths' Marr, Vaughan played with an immediately identifiable style that everyone from beginning guitar students to professional musicians continues to emulate today. Plus, a fun piece of trivia - Vaughan played guitar on David Bowie's hit song "Let's Dance"...which was produced by Chic's Rodgers.

N.W.A. Following in the footsteps of legends like Grandmaster Flash, the Beastie Boys and Public Enemy, the five-member rap group from the gang-plagued streets of South Central Los Angeles would be the Hall's first West Coast hip-hop act. Unlike their predecessors in the Hall, though, N.W.A upped the ante of social consciousness by giving the genre its first real sense of danger. More importantly, the group forged an unshakable identity for West Coast rap, one that simultaneously and unapologetically combined elements of swagger and rebellion with casual misogyny and racial unease. And, since the original lineup's split more than 20 years ago, Ice Cube and Dr. Dre have transcended music, going on to hugely successful careers in Hollywood and business, respectively. OK, so not all of its members had huge careers once the band broke up, but if there's room for Flavor Flav in the Hall, there's room for MC Ren.

Green Day. At the turn of the millennium, the idea of Green Day as a viable Hall of Fame nominee, much less a first-ballot selection, would have been laughable. Sure, the band did well on the charts, helped bring punk to the masses, and released a legitimate, jam-packed greatest-hits collection, but so what? Then "American Idiot" happened, and seemingly overnight, the Northern California trio went from being branded a one-trick, three-chord pony to the authors of rock's next chapter. Easily one of the most ambitious records of the modern musical era, it is also among its best. Following a massive stadium tour - a rarity among non-classic rock acts - Green Day took its album to Broadway, and in the decade since has continued breaking new ground, following up with another epic ("21st Century Breakdown"), releasing a full record under an alter ego (Foxboro Hot Tubs), and putting out a three-part album whose promotion was both heightened and stunted by a rehab stay for singer Billie Joe Armstrong. Green Day's transformation from punk kids with an album called "Dookie" to Grammy and Tony Award winning artists has been impressive, as is its seemingly unending supply of undeniably catchy songs, but its influence on 21st century music - both in what other bands sound like, and what they know they can sound like - has been the final piece in earning this group a spot in the Hall

Get Off Your ASS and vote for the Smiths Rock-n-Roll Hall Of Fame

Ok hipster..too cool...apathy ridden Morrissey/Smiths people. (Yes I am talking to you reading this right now!) Get off your ASS and vote for the Smith for the rock n roll hall of fame! Doesn't anyone get the irony here? The ultimate outsiders band getting on the inside. Plus The Smiths are better than all the other bands on the list!! Don't let your apathy get the better of you. Again let's get the outsiders in! Then let the band do what they want with it. Attend, not attend, whatever...that's for them to decide and I would be happy with anything they decide. Don't like NIN, Green Day, Sting (ugh!) Bill Withers, Kraftwerk, Joan Jett (WTF??) get in before our beloved Smiths. The Smiths need our help because they are not as popular as the other groups. Let's mobilize and make this happen. Anyone willing to help please PM me. If you have one ounce of school boy competitiveness rise up. Let's get back at all those people who made fun of us for liking them in the first place.

By the way this is not a sympathy vote for Moz. The votes were already obviously tallied before the very next day after Moz made the announcement. This is a democratic system of voting that does not happen overnight.

Last edited:
Re: Get Off Your ASS and vote for the Smiths Rock-n-Roll Hall Of Fame

Hah. I like your enthusiasm.

The fan vote will not determine who will be inducted next year. It will only count as one ballot and won't have any significant impact on who is chosen. Don't despair if this poll result doesn't come out in their favor.

Meaningless American tosh.
Who actually cares? Here's you place in rock n roll history boys we have decided you've earned it??
Shove it.
Now if it was north west of England hall of fame..........

Bands That Must Go Into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame... Morrissey Cancer Revelation?

From: Five Bands That Must Go Into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame
Posted: 10/10/2014

...Morrissey and Marr have long vowed to never again perform together, and the singer is notoriously anti-establishment and would probably hate being associated with something like the Hall; but, given his recent revelation that he is battling cancer, this may be the time to recognize the band and hope against hope for a one-off reunion.

Read original post here:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mark-...roll_b_5963752.html?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592

Visit my blog at:
http://livinginthe80sblog.blogspot.com/2014/10/bands-that-must-go-into-rock-roll-hall.html

Re: Bands That Must Go Into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame... Morrissey Cancer Revelation?

very poor journalism

Re: Bands That Must Go Into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame... Morrissey Cancer Revelation?

This Rock and Roll Hall of Fame sounds like a ride load of shit.

to the poster above. i know american idiot was a big deal for them but i really think people are forgetting how much people played time of your life which was huge and way into there already huge career. i remember when i watched basket case for the first time and was blown away and getting the album. when i come around and the longview video in which they refused makeup was pretty cool for the time. i declare i dont care no more

Okay, just for the fun of speculating - let's say all four of them bit the bullet and did it. And performed. And this was gonna be the only Smiths reunion ever.

What song(s) would they perform? Isn't it tradition to do three? I can't remember.

I'd expect "How Soon is Now?" "There is A Light," and the highlight, "Hand in Glove." A surprise from "Strangeways" would be nice, though.

Tags
cancer hall of fame marr morrissey the smiths

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom