The Smiths not inducted into the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame in 2015

Heaven knows we're miserable now: The Smiths snubbed by Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

The prospects, however slim, of The Smiths all gathering in the same room — forget about a live performance, just getting the four together behind a podium would have been a miracle — were dashed early Tuesday when the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame announced next year's inductees, a list that did not include the first-time nominees.

Those who did make the cut: Lou Reed (as a solo artist; he's already in with the Velvet Underground), Green Day, Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, Bill Withers and the Paul Butterfield Blues Band. Plus, Ringo Starr will be honored with the Award for Musical Excellence.

Joining the Smiths on the list of nominees that didn't get in: Nine Inch Nails, N.W.A., Sting, Kraftwerk, The Marvelettes, The Spinners and Chic, the latter of which has now been passed over nine times.

The Smiths’ snub is just the latest failed nomination for a hugely influential, if not commercially mainstream, 80s alternative band. The Cure was among the 2012 nominees, but Robert Smith and Co. were not inducted and have not made the ballot since. Similarly, the just-reunited Replacements were nominated last year for the 2014 class, but didn't make the cut either.

The Class of 2015 will be inducted April 18 in Cleveland — but the big question of whether we'd see Morrissey, Johnny Marr, Andy Rourke and Mike Joyce together in the same room is now moot.

SOURCE

Last edited by a moderator:
world doesn't need that kind of rock'n'roll hall of fame where green day enters before the smiths!!!!it's complete nonsense!

The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame inductions seem to hew very closely to the Rolling Stone history of rock, which means that once you hit that late '70s - early '80s punk/post-punk period, they just can't be bothered. The same goes for a lot of electronic and black music (seriously, Chic has been passed over nine times?). I'd place nearly all those acts that didn't make it above Green Day, Ringo Starr (Beatles, fine, solo Ringo - no), Joan Jett or Paul Butterfield Blues Band. The only surprise to me is that Sting didn't make it, because he would seem to be a shoe-in for that group.

It's actually just a bullshit award anyway.

its for sure a classic rock kinda place. as for the nominees i can get down with lou of course and love his solo works with quine and green day is good as well as stevie. cant do to much with the rest im afraid. as for the hall itself, i had a good time looking at the guitars

What, no Kristeen Young either? Even after all of her Grammy nominations.

Has Ringo Starr ever made something (on his own) that warrants special recognition for 'Musical Excellence'?

I certainly understand that the Smiths never aspired to be in the Hall. But you have to enjoy the irony of the entire thing. The outsiders band now being on the inside. Just like The Cure in 2012, The Smiths have been overlooked. New Wave British music is overlooked all the time while shit American new wave stuff is praised (Blondie, Talking Heads ((in the hall). What makes those two bands better than the Smiths? It's a true double standard! Sadly the first British New Wave or whatever you want to call a derivative of the Smiths band that will get in will be Coldplay! How sad :(

Ringo Starr deserves nothing! He is completely pointless as a solo artist. Can anyone even name a song of his? I can't even think of one he sang with the Beatles.

New Wave British music is overlooked all the time while shit American new wave stuff is praised (Blondie, Talking Heads ((in the hall).

Whether they're "new wave" or not is debatable, but Elvis Costello and the Police are in. And the Sex Pistols. But yeah…it's really pathetic that bands like the Cure and the Banshees will likely never get a shot. Or the Smiths, of course.

I think that most of the bands/artists who have made it in over the years actually do deserve to be there, but the exclusions and lack of diversity are ridiculous.

Ringo Starr deserves nothing! He is completely pointless as a solo artist. Can anyone even name a song of his? I can't even think of one he sang with the Beatles.

Octopus's Garden, Yellow Submarine, With a Little Help From My Friends…so…yeah. :straightface:

Last edited:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom