The Smiths reference in the new Gondry film

nightandday

A few days ago I saw the new Michel Gondry film, La Science des reves - which is wonderful, BTW :) The main character, played by Gael Garcia Bernal, has a Smiths posted over his bed - the cover of "How Soon Is Now":

howsooni.gif

Which brings me to the question (I better ask it so this thread would last longer), how many films or TV shows can you think of with a Smiths/Morrissey reference - a poster, someone wearing a T-shirt, a mention?

I think the easiest one is My Life With Morrissey.. :D

And I'm sure we're all familiar with the disaster that is the Love Spit Love cover of "How Soon is Now?" that the Craft and Charmed have used.

In the TV drama "The Second Coming", the character played by Christopher Eccleston (himself a big fan) has a Smiths poster in his attic.

In the "Animal" episode of Brass Eye, when Chris Morris is on the phone to someone (could be Honor Blackman) trying to get a statement about Carla the Elephant, there's a Bona Drag poster clearly visible in the background.

There was the notorious Bernard Matthews ad, with a Queen is dead poster on the kitchen door. Rodney (Only fools and horses) flicks through a copy of Timeout mag with Morrissey on the cover (Kill Uncle era).

Thank you for remingind, it's already reported on main board by thirtyfirst:

http://www.morrissey-solo.com/article.pl?sid=06/10/03/0142255 :)

EastEnders, Coronation Street and in other British soaps you occasionally see a Smiths poster in the background.
I'll post when I remember some more.
I should read the main board sometimes. :p

Here are a few more I can think of:

- there's a Polish film called "Glosniej od bomb" ("Louder Than Bombs"). I haven't seen it, but apparently the main character is a fan of The Smiths and James Dean: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0322423/

- "Pretty In Pink" - as far as I remember: a Smiths poster; a Smiths record seen in the record shop when two of the characters flick through the records; and "Please, Please..." is on the soundtrack.

- This Charming Man was played on "This Life" (IMDB lists several other films and TV shows with Smiths songs on the soundtrack - see http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0973541/ and http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0549995/, but not that one)

"Cold Feet": In an early episode, Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now is played (I think it was a scene with Adam - at least that's what someone told me - I don't remember that episode).

The Smiths are also mentioned a few times in a last season episode. Pete, his ex-wife Karen and his new girlfriend are looking through Adam's old records, and they come across a Smiths record. Pete says: "The Smiths! I liked them" and Karen replies with contempt: "No, you didn't! You were into Wham!" Pete can't deny it, but he still adds shyly: "And The Smiths..."

Some time later, Adam and Pete are quarelling. Pete starts ridiculously accusing Adam saying he took everything away from him, Adam asks him to name something; Pete starts naming things he allegedly liked before Adam did; he says "Manchester Utd - I was their fan, you took it from me", Adam says half of Manchester are Man Utd fans. Pete finally says: "The Smiths!" Adam replies with contempt: "You liked Wham!!" :)

another Smiths mention in a film I saw on TV a few days ago. It's called SLC Punk! http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0133189/ and it's about punk rockers in Salt Lake City in early 1980s. In one of his speeches directed at the audience, the main character (Matthew Lilland) talks about the 'posers':

Stevo: There were quite a few punks in the SLC back in '85, but there were equally as many posers. Posers were kids who would dress and act like punks but they did it for fashion. They were fools! They'd say shit like...
Poser: Anarchy in the U.K.!
Stevo: See what I mean? Posers. "Anarchy in the U.K." What the f***'s that? It was a Sex Pistols thing. That's where they were from, they were British! They were allowed to go on about anarchy in the U.K. but what does that mean to us in Utah, America? That's all you ever hear from these trendy f***s like
[in really bad British accent]
Stevo: "Did you hear the new Smiths album? It's f***in' terriff'!" Stupid posers walking around Utah saying "terriff'" with a stupid English twang.

(I nicked this from IMDB memorable quotes page.)

The Smiths references in movies...

John Singleton's sprawling, flawed - yet fascinating - college drama "Higher Learning": a huge Moz poster in a bedroom.

Lukas Moodyson's brilliant "f***ing Amal": pictures and posters of The Smiths and Morrissey on girl's bedroom wall.

John Cusack namedropping The Smiths in "High Fidelity".

Of course, who can forget...Panic segued in a sequence gag in "Shaun Of The Dead".

In "CSI Las Vegas"...Catherine says, "This gives Morrissey's Meat Is Murder a whole new meaning."

Okay, this is not a movie but a split-second snippet of Morrissey flailing about in the recent U2 video for "Window Of The Skies".

I got more...

Birthday Girl used This Charming Man. As I have been told does The History Boys.

I may know more but now I don't actually glare

Not really film or anything but I was watching a rerun of the comedic game show Distraction late last night/this morning and they had a question which started, "The former singer of the Smiths..." to which someone buzzed in before the question's end to answer "Morrissey".

Nothing too exciting but it's always nice to hear "the Smiths" and "Morrissey" mentioned on television. Especially in the US.. and comedy central of all places.

The TV show 'Sean's Show' featured Morrissey poster/ and he wore Morrissey boxer shorts in one scene. Also talked about Moz a lot.

"Cold Feet": In an early episode, Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now is played (I think it was a scene with Adam - at least that's what someone told me - I don't remember that episode).

The Smiths are also mentioned a few times in a last season episode. Pete, his ex-wife Karen and his new girlfriend are looking through Adam's old records, and they come across a Smiths record. Pete says: "The Smiths! I liked them" and Karen replies with contempt: "No, you didn't! You were into Wham!" Pete can't deny it, but he still adds shyly: "And The Smiths..."

Some time later, Adam and Pete are quarelling. Pete starts ridiculously accusing Adam saying he took everything away from him, Adam asks him to name something; Pete starts naming things he allegedly liked before Adam did; he says "Manchester Utd - I was their fan, you took it from me", Adam says half of Manchester are Man Utd fans. Pete finally says: "The Smiths!" Adam replies with contempt: "You liked Wham!!" :)
I forgot half of the dialogue when I wrote this post. It was actually even better! It went something like this:

Pete: The Smiths! I liked them...
Karen: No, you didn't!
Pete: I did! Morrissey was cool...
Karen: He was - but you weren't! You were into Wham!

:)

Back
Top Bottom