The subreddit "indieheads" [731,000 members] has banned all Morrissey content

https://www.reddit.com/r/indieheads/comments/c6lrkf/mod_post_a_statement_from_the_moderators_of/

We are a community that celebrates new music, but we also love and respect the bands of the past that made the indie genre what it is today. The Smiths are a part of that legacy, and because of that, we have allowed content to be posted to the subreddit about Morrissey. As of this post, we will no longer be allowing news, music or any content directly pertaining to Morrissey and his solo career. This change will not effect any news pertaining to The Smiths (reissues, etc.) or any other members of the band. Any other adjacent posts pertaining to Morrissey are subject to moderator approval.

We pride ourselves on being an open and safe space to discuss music. That’s why headlines like “Morrissey reaffirms support for far-right party and claims 'everyone prefers their own race'” don’t sit well with us. Morrissey has made it very apparent that he is, in fact, a racist, as he continues to not only share his bigoted thoughts but also show support by wearing a pin supporting an anti-Islam political party with a button over his heart on television and during his Broadway residency. We do not want to publicize him any longer- and he will no longer be given a platform on our subreddit.

This rule is not to ignore his hateful actions, but to take away his audience, even if it is just a small part of it. Thank you for your understanding.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Followed by this first moderator comment]
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please feel free to ask us anything about this decision for any clarification you may need. Any other comments past the original statement reflect each moderator’s personal opinions.

This was something that has been building for a while, and quite frankly, I’d had enough. No one is perfect, but also, we have never had someone that we allow posts about speak such vile words on a consistent basis. This is not a point we wanted to get to and I hope we don’t get to it again.

Not to start a fight, but he seems to equate "anti-Islam" with "racist" ('Morrissey has made it very apparent that he is, in fact, a racist, as he continues to not only share his bigoted thoughts but also show support by wearing a pin supporting an anti-Islam political party')
Maybe there are other comments by Morrissey that can be construed as racist, but being anti-Islam is not being racist since Islam is a religion. So people should stop making that assumption

Not to start a fight, but he seems to equate "anti-Islam" with "racist" ('Morrissey has made it very apparent that he is, in fact, a racist, as he continues to not only share his bigoted thoughts but also show support by wearing a pin supporting an anti-Islam political party')
Maybe there are other comments by Morrissey that can be construed as racist, but being anti-Islam is not being racist since Islam is a religion. So people should stop making that assumption

You're right. Being anti Islam does not make him racist. It makes him a bigot. And the lyric "life is hard enough when you belong here" makes him anti-immigrant. I could go on for a long time about the things he's said and done that make it worse, but people here are in denial and there's no point. But I support his right to hate, as I support my right to never buy another record of his.

First person to ever make this “point”. Maverick.

“Everyone prefers their own race” is one of those politically incorrect generalizations that is of course not 100% true, but is in fact based on some sort of valid observation. Like “women are bad drivers” or “men are insensitive jerks”. Where is art and culture if we are not allowed some sort of common ground in which to see and receive and process information. It’s a trap this new weird rabid conformist left falls into to batten down the hatches and bring out the cudgel sticks. Morrissey lives in a country where the president was elected using these very tricks and apparently he’s aware of that.

Yawn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Someone else trying to get their 15 min. :crazy:

Not exactly a great loss to no longer have the fat consumerist gamers at reddit reading Morrissey news.

The war against Eurasia continues.

This country has always been at war with Eurasia.

This country has never been at war with East Asia.

Delete history.

The war against East Asia continues.

This country has always been at war with East Asia.

This country has never been at war with Eurasia.

You're right. Being anti Islam does not make him racist. It makes him a bigot. And the lyric "life is hard enough when you belong here" makes him anti-immigrant. I could go on for a long time about the things he's said and done that make it worse, but people here are in denial and there's no point. But I support his right to hate, as I support my right to never buy another record of his.

Maybe he’s an antitheist. He hasn’t said glowing things about any religion, so far as I know. I’m open to being corrected.

On another note, have you lived anywhere where you weren’t a native? I can’t say I’ve felt welcome in the USA because it is indeed “hard enough when you belong here.” Insert endless list of America’s war on the poor, disabled, women, black people, queer people...

They will never stop making that comparison because they tried it out and it stuck so why not keep going with it? It's not acceptable to be anti islam but it's apparently acceptable for islam to be anti Jew and anti homosexual. Anyone see the irony here? Keep appeasing islam and see how that works out for you. If this is what the cringe left is clinging to for their opposition to Anne Marie Waters' party then it's a fairly thin argument. By the way I'm anti-Islam :)

Wait hang on a second. Let me get this straight.
It's bigoted to be anti-islam? So Mohammad starts a death march, calls it a religion and then we all have to get behind it as if it's the greatest show on earth? Sounds like fascism to me. What makes Islam so infallible to scrutiny and criticism? Since when are modern human beings supposed to cower in the face of a doctrine formed 1400 years ago when most people didn't know shit from clay? Is this how you approach all ideas that come your way in life? Just passively accept them while aggressively denigrating anyone who dare to critique them? You are the one that is in denial.

I don't even find Morrissey's thoughts challenging. His wish for a party that unifies left and right is the absolute trend (center if it's left and right that get unified like in France with Macron or populist if it's far-left and far-right that get unified like in Italy with Salvini). My problem is that some use anti-islam camouflage to speak their racist mind. We can read that along countless of posts on this forum. Someone pointed out that only on a Morrissey website would she/he find racist statements. How true. I'm happy to say being anti-islam and being racist are two different things. I'm sad to read the comments on this forum. If it's being anti-islam we're discusing here then why would words like 'invasion', 'clothes', 'bombs', 'terrorism', 'race' come up in discussions? It seems some people are still not aware that today's muslims can be white and of catholic upbringing. It seems some people are still not aware that today's muslims can have their families rooted in england for longer than their own. Reducing people to placing bombs is negating how diverse an individual can be. Mind you, I'm rather anti-islam if need be my positionning be known. But I vomit intolerance because however funny it may be to see posters on this forum hurray when a 'celebrity' backs Morrissey and slur when a 'celebrity' tells Morrissey off, it shows how much of a black and white world they live in. And by doing so they give a picture of themselves that is one of an individual reduced to just one thing (not poly-, not diverse). I see in colors because I know people are diverse.

Why oppose 'it's not acceptable to be anti-islam' and 'it's apparently acceptable for islam to be anti-jew and anti-homosexual'? Why not just answer to why it is/isn't acceptable to be anti-islam? That path is one of defense not one of giving arguments. It is acceptable to be anti-islam. It is not to be racist or anti-semit or homophobic. Ann Marie Waters wants to cut muslim birthrates. Ann Marie Waters is not racist. How is Ann Marie Waters going to do to cut muslim birthrates if muslim is not a skin color or race or call it whatever you want? Cutting birthrates is not a facist thing to do. It's modernity! It's civilisation! Beings of culture VS beings of nature! Cutting birthrates is not considering that the land is being invaded and/or overflooded. Cutting birthrates is not being racist. Cutting birthrates is benevolent. Cutting birthrates is ecological. The planet can't (or won't be able to) sustain and provide for that many people in the near future we're told so Ann Marie Waters wants to cut birthrates. Muslim birthrates. Because she's not racist. She just doesn't like religions. Apart from roman catholicism because, as she puts it, 'we didn't import roman catholicism' which is sooooooooooooooooooooo true. And supporting the 'It's okay to be white' campaign is not being racist. Talking of 'white genocide' either. And let's take it she's not racist. It is then strange that the things she says, the fights she endorses attract such a load of racist supporters who talk of 'brown skinned low IQ immigrant' of someone of english upbringing but dark skinned.... Ann Marie Waters is not racist. She's just got issues with people of colored skin. Morrissey is not racist. He just mixes race with borders and animal slaughter in almost the same sentence. A sentence that says: 'Everyone ultimately prefers their own race … does this make everyone racist? The people who reduce every conversation down to a matter of race could be said to be the most traditionally ‘racist’ because everything in life is NOT exclusively a question of race, so why make it so? Diversity can’t possibly be a strength if everyone has ideas that will never correspond. If borders are such terrible things then why did they ever exist in the first place? Borders bring order'. Funny that capital letters are used for the word NOT and not for EXCLUSIVELY because by doing so he says that there's an issue with race. And 'Diversity can't possibly be a strength if everyone has ideas that will never correspond'. To what? And I best ignore the borders question...

Last edited:
I don't even find Morrissey's thoughts challenging. His wish for a party that unifies left and right is the absolute trend (center if it's left and right that get unified like in France with Macron or populist if it's far-left and far-right that get unified like in Italy with Salvini). ...

I don't know what Salvini (in his current incarnation) has to do with the far-left, since he is continuously making those whom he identifies as such his enemies (calling them "Communists" and "ticks" and "parasites"). Not to mention the fights during the protests while he was touring the country as part of his political campaign.

Still the left disingenuously repeat, "What do you mean 'attack on free speech'? You can say whatever you like." The small print (left unspoken): "And be banned, deplatformed, excluded, ostracised, doxxed, depersoned, cancelled, censored, libelled, harassed and hounded out of work."

Just to know, it's not morrissey who sang on World Peace lp " each time you vote you support the process" who now declare his flme to the far right? ... instable guy no

It's the same Morrissey who sing "each time you vote you support the process" who declare his flame to the far right now? a bit instable guy, specially for a 60 years old man ...

And 'Diversity can't possibly be a strength if everyone has ideas that will never correspond'. To what?
Correspond with each other. If cultures have opposing values, how can they live in harmony?

The people who reduce every conversation down to a matter of race could be said to be the most traditionally ‘racist’ because everything in life is NOT exclusively a question of race, so why make it so? Funny that capital letters are used for the word NOT and not for EXCLUSIVELY because by doing so he says that there's an issue with race.
He emphasized "not" because he wanted to make to clear that he was claiming the statement he'd attributed to others was untrue.
If he'd said: Everything in life isn't exclusively a question of race, that would more imply that some things are a question of race and perhaps there's an issue.

Correspond with each other. If cultures have opposing values, how can they live in harmony?

He emphasized "not" because he wanted to make to clear that he was claiming the statement he'd attributed to others was untrue.
If he'd said: Everything in life isn't exclusively a question of race, that would more imply that some things are a question of race and perhaps there's an issue.

The sentence being the same, the meaning is the same.... Then regarding the assertion that if cultures don't share common values then there is no point in living in harmony then what is culturation and civilization? Or maybe you are refering to a specific situation inside a specific country that's still populated by britons? Too bad for the roman invasion....

I don't know what Salvini (in his current incarnation) has to do with the far-left, since he is continuously making those whom he identifies as such his enemies (calling them "Communists" and "ticks" and "parasites"). Not to mention the fights during the protests while he was touring the country as part of his political campaign.

You probably ignore that a coalition is leading Italy.....

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom