The subreddit "indieheads" [731,000 members] has banned all Morrissey content

https://www.reddit.com/r/indieheads/comments/c6lrkf/mod_post_a_statement_from_the_moderators_of/

We are a community that celebrates new music, but we also love and respect the bands of the past that made the indie genre what it is today. The Smiths are a part of that legacy, and because of that, we have allowed content to be posted to the subreddit about Morrissey. As of this post, we will no longer be allowing news, music or any content directly pertaining to Morrissey and his solo career. This change will not effect any news pertaining to The Smiths (reissues, etc.) or any other members of the band. Any other adjacent posts pertaining to Morrissey are subject to moderator approval.

We pride ourselves on being an open and safe space to discuss music. That’s why headlines like “Morrissey reaffirms support for far-right party and claims 'everyone prefers their own race'” don’t sit well with us. Morrissey has made it very apparent that he is, in fact, a racist, as he continues to not only share his bigoted thoughts but also show support by wearing a pin supporting an anti-Islam political party with a button over his heart on television and during his Broadway residency. We do not want to publicize him any longer- and he will no longer be given a platform on our subreddit.

This rule is not to ignore his hateful actions, but to take away his audience, even if it is just a small part of it. Thank you for your understanding.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Followed by this first moderator comment]
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please feel free to ask us anything about this decision for any clarification you may need. Any other comments past the original statement reflect each moderator’s personal opinions.

This was something that has been building for a while, and quite frankly, I’d had enough. No one is perfect, but also, we have never had someone that we allow posts about speak such vile words on a consistent basis. This is not a point we wanted to get to and I hope we don’t get to it again.

Maybe he’s an antitheist. He hasn’t said glowing things about any religion, so far as I know. I’m open to being corrected.

On another note, have you lived anywhere where you weren’t a native? I can’t say I’ve felt welcome in the USA because it is indeed “hard enough when you belong here.” Insert endless list of America’s war on the poor, disabled, women, black people, queer people...

Can you imagine being a poor, disabled, gay, black woman in America? She could never leave her home due to all the wars being waged against her. :crazy:

You are the General of generalizations in the war against sane thought it would appear.

You say you never felt welcomed in America. Maybe it might have something to do with your attitude because I couldn't imagine being welcoming to someone who believes the way you do. You are free to visit any other country you choose. We will try to muddle along without you.

I forgot to add: "Investigated by the police for hate speech, fined and arrested."

https://www.reddit.com/r/indieheads/comments/c6lrkf/mod_post_a_statement_from_the_moderators_of/

We are a community that celebrates new music, but we also love and respect the bands of the past that made the indie genre what it is today. The Smiths are a part of that legacy, and because of that, we have allowed content to be posted to the subreddit about Morrissey. As of this post, we will no longer be allowing news, music or any content directly pertaining to Morrissey and his solo career. This change will not effect any news pertaining to The Smiths (reissues, etc.) or any other members of the band. Any other adjacent posts pertaining to Morrissey are subject to moderator approval.

We pride ourselves on being an open and safe space to discuss music. That’s why headlines like “Morrissey reaffirms support for far-right party and claims 'everyone prefers their own race'” don’t sit well with us. Morrissey has made it very apparent that he is, in fact, a racist, as he continues to not only share his bigoted thoughts but also show support by wearing a pin supporting an anti-Islam political party with a button over his heart on television and during his Broadway residency. We do not want to publicize him any longer- and he will no longer be given a platform on our subreddit.

This rule is not to ignore his hateful actions, but to take away his audience, even if it is just a small part of it. Thank you for your understanding.

[Followed by this first moderator comment]

Please feel free to ask us anything about this decision for any clarification you may need. Any other comments past the original statement reflect each moderator’s personal opinions.

This was something that has been building for a while, and quite frankly, I’d had enough. No one is perfect, but also, we have never had someone that we allow posts about speak such vile words on a consistent basis. This is not a point we wanted to get to and I hope we don’t get to it again.

If we take away the freedom of speech, then dumb and silent, like sheep we may be led to the slaughter - George Washington

We are living in an age of conformity, where everyone looks at each other before giving an opinion, where social media gives instant consensus and the sheeple mentality is king. Dare anyone open up a subject for discussion. No is the answer. We really are living in a consensus reality. Baaa.
Islam is a religion as is Catholicism, both detrimental to your and my personal sovereignty. Both believe in the subjugation of women because of course God has a Willie.
Morrissey has come under fire for wearing a badge of a political party, he has not said anything "vile" or "racist" but has been interpreted as such because he wore that badge.
The Dála Láma has been far more explicit than Morrissey in his comments on immigration which I'm sure is very inconvenient as he is a peace loving religious leader and a refugee himself.
I'm sure the consensus police will get around to banning him from something as well - Spillers record shop maybe or the Merseyside railway station if he happens to wander in.
If the posts on reddit are anything like the vitriol posted here then it's the posters who are responsible not Morrissey. Is that not what the Moderators are for,?
Reddit are more fair weather friends and the court of public opinion tends to change with the weather.
I'm sticking with Morrissey,
Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear - George Orwell.

all that did was make me visit some sub-forum I've never visited before and wished I hadn't.

You're right. Being anti Islam does not make him racist. It makes him a bigot. And the lyric "life is hard enough when you belong here" makes him anti-immigrant. I could go on for a long time about the things he's said and done that make it worse, but people here are in denial and there's no point. But I support his right to hate, as I support my right to never buy another record of his.

No, it doesn't make him a bigot. It makes him someone who understands what Islam is and what its intentions are, unlike yourself who obviously doesn't have a clue.

I always thought “life is hard enough when you belong here” referred to the British being in India. Shows how ignorant I am.

M wears a for Britain pin over his heart,M better get to a docs coz his heart is far too high,its almost in his throat.

What a c***ish world these spineless bastard snowflakes have made. I bet 99% of them were still being breast fed at the age of 10. What absolute wankery to deny Moz freedom of speech just to be seen to be politically correct. I'm ashamed to be human.

What a c***ish world these spineless bastard snowflakes have made. I bet 99% of them were still being breast fed at the age of 10. What absolute wankery to deny Moz freedom of speech just to be seen to be politically correct. I'm ashamed to be human.
I couldn't agree more. Beyond pathetic. 'We pride ourselves on being an open and safe space to discuss music' - as long as you agree with our views.

all that did was make me visit some sub-forum I've never visited before and wished I hadn't.
Actually it’s a very good sub for information on new music and artists. Moz rarely gets mentioned, except for his recent comments and pin choices.

Well done them! They are enacting their right of free speech - to ban content that they believe to be racist. Davidt take note. Solo claims to provide free speech but posts are often censored ... an act worthy of Morrissey: say one thing, do another.

If we take away the freedom of speech, then dumb and silent, like sheep we may be led to the slaughter - George Washington

We are living in an age of conformity, where everyone looks at each other before giving an opinion, where social media gives instant consensus and the sheeple mentality is king. Dare anyone open up a subject for discussion. No is the answer. We really are living in a consensus reality. Baaa.
Islam is a religion as is Catholicism, both detrimental to your and my personal sovereignty. Both believe in the subjugation of women because of course God has a Willie.
Morrissey has come under fire for wearing a badge of a political party, he has not said anything "vile" or "racist" but has been interpreted as such because he wore that badge.
The Dála Láma has been far more explicit than Morrissey in his comments on immigration which I'm sure is very inconvenient as he is a peace loving religious leader and a refugee himself.
I'm sure the consensus police will get around to banning him from something as well - Spillers record shop maybe or the Merseyside railway station if he happens to wander in.
If the posts on reddit are anything like the vitriol posted here then it's the posters who are responsible not Morrissey. Is that not what the Moderators are for,?
Reddit are more fair weather friends and the court of public opinion tends to change with the weather.
I'm sticking with Morrissey,
Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear - George Orwell.
A notable difference between Catholicism and Islam is that Catholicism was defanged long ago. The reason being the New Testament is understood and accepted to have been written by men so therefore open to interpretation but the Qu'ran was passed down to Mohammad by Allah via the Archangel Gabriel and therefore cannot be changed, any attempt to change it is seen as heresy. That's why it is and always will be stuck in the 7th century. No reform in Islam is allowed; it is the same now as it always has been. That's the reason why groups such as ISIS can kill non-Muslims with impunity. They're simply adhering to what Allah prescribed as the proper way to conduct oneself in times of war. The west has a problem understanding this unfortunately.

Last edited:
A notable difference between Catholicism and Islam is that Catholicism was defanged long ago. The reason being the New Testament is understood and accepted to have been written by men so therefore open to interpretation but the Qu'ran was passed down to Mohammad by Allah via the Archangel Gabriel and therefore cannot be changed, any attempt to change it is seen as heresy. That's why it is and always will be stuck in the 7th century. No reform in Islam is allowed; it is the same now as it always has been. That's the reason why groups such as ISIS can kill non-Muslims with impunity. They're simply adhering to what Allah prescribed as the proper way to conduct oneself in times of war. The west has a problem understanding this unfortunately.

You see, posts like this is why they are banning Morrissey content on that sub.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom