The Suicide Thread

Mozza220559

Surmontil 50
After watching a couple of Nirvana songs on TV the other day, it got me thinking about Kurt Cobain and his reasons for suicide, morbidly I read his last note he left before blowing up his melon case, it just all read like some whiney, wealthy sack of self pity, I'm dead against suicide and I think it's a selfish and cowardly way to go especially in Kurts case seeing as he had a kid and a wife. I feel somewhat disappointed when Morrissey almost condones suicide and thinks its a noble, smart path to take.

What are all your views on the subject, I know it'll divide opinion.

After watching a couple of Nirvana songs on TV the other day, it got me thinking about Kurt Cobain and his reasons for suicide, morbidly I read his last note he left before blowing up his melon case, it just all read like some whiney, wealthy sack of self pity, I'm dead against suicide and I think it's a selfish and cowardly way to go especially in Kurts case seeing as he had a kid and a wife. I feel somewhat disappointed when Morrissey almost condones suicide and thinks its a noble, smart path to take.

What are all your views on the subject, I know it'll divide opinion.

Courtney killed Kurt.

I don't think anybody in this world should ever feel so unhappy with reality that they feel their last resort is taking their own life. I also don't think anybody really deserves to drag on in pain just for the sake of others, and that's why I don't think suicide is really a selfish thing. Aren't you the most important person in your life anyways? That's why it's called your life... to me, you don't really owe anything to anyone in the end, to be quite honest.

Anyways, this is kind of a touchy subject because a girl in my class committed suicide a few months back. It was totally unexpected and the whole school was shocked by the news for some reason, but I actually wasn't that shocked because so many people talked about her personal life and depression (and self-harm) so openly all the time. Just straight up unwarranted, unnecessary, rude and hurtful gossip. I've struggled with anxiety, severe agoraphobia, and depression (I feel weird for mentioning all this but whatever) and I've never quite felt the need to die because I know I've got alot of life left ahead to live, but I do know what it feels like to be extremely low and basically hopeless. I can't imagine what could possibly possess a girl my age to just end it all, but maybe it had to do with the fact that so many people trivialize mental illness and are frankly, very unsupportive and pass people's serious emotions off as nothing (which I have experienced plenty of times, from numerous people)!

Jehne killed all the fun.

I+see+what+you+did+there+spiderman.jpg

I don’t think people decide to just wake up and take their lives. It must be such a heavy feeling of hopelessness and not being able to see further than the front door into the future. Or maybe they are stuck in a situation they can’t escape from like money issues, mental illness, or physical illness and they see death as their only way out. Even having a kid and a wife like Kurt did didn’t help him. He couldn’t save himself. He might have even believed they were better off without him. In 1992 my cousin decided to shoot himself in the head. He and his wife had just had a kid. I remember thinking “what a selfish asshole”. But then, I wasn’t living his life. In 2006, my friend’s boss parked his car in a remote area alone and shot himself in the head. It came out later he was involved in some mob action and owed millions, so there was his way out. As far as Morrissey goes, I think he believes that having control of your own life should mean being able to take it as well. Life is not a gift for everyone; some people actually hate being here. And like Fenner said in her post, in the end, we don’t owe anyone anything anyway. I agree.

Love without evidence is stalking.

I have always been hopelessly in love with you since day one but I am still the boy I used to be when I could only kick the legs of the girls I liked. So here I am hoping my insane ways will drive you to wanting to know and maybe love me. Love starts with a fight or exchange of words they say. But I know this is unhappy love that will never be answered and I will walk the earth never getting to feel how it is to kiss your delicious lips and fall asleep in your arms free from the evils of life.

I have always been hopelessly in love with you since day one but I am still the boy I used to be when I could only kick the legs of the girls I liked. So here I am hoping my insane ways will drive you to wanting to know and maybe love me. Love starts with a fight or exchange of words they say. But I know this is unhappy love that will never be answered and I will walk the earth never getting to feel how it is to kiss your delicious lips and fall asleep in your arms free from the evils of life.

Beautiful.gif

Aww, that is so sweet. Made me want to go blonde just for you.

zombie-soul-singer-wig.jpg

I don't think anybody in this world should ever feel so unhappy with reality that they feel their last resort is taking their own life. I also don't think anybody really deserves to drag on in pain just for the sake of others, and that's why I don't think suicide is really a selfish thing. Aren't you the most important person in your life anyways? That's why it's called your life... to me, you don't really owe anything to anyone in the end, to be quite honest.

Anyways, this is kind of a touchy subject because a girl in my class committed suicide a few months back. It was totally unexpected and the whole school was shocked by the news for some reason, but I actually wasn't that shocked because so many people talked about her personal life and depression (and self-harm) so openly all the time. Just straight up unwarranted, unnecessary, rude and hurtful gossip. I've struggled with anxiety, severe agoraphobia, and depression (I feel weird for mentioning all this but whatever) and I've never quite felt the need to die because I know I've got alot of life left ahead to live, but I do know what it feels like to be extremely low and basically hopeless. I can't imagine what could possibly possess a girl my age to just end it all, but maybe it had to do with the fact that so many people trivialize mental illness and are frankly, very unsupportive and pass people's serious emotions off as nothing (which I have experienced plenty of times, from numerous people)!
Hey Fenner, do you not think we owe something to those close to us?

Hey Fenner, do you not think we owe something to those close to us?

If you are so incredibly miserable in your life that each day drags on with such incredible pain, and you're only continuing on for your family, then no. Of course, in the end, you'll be gone and your family will suffer, but I guess it really just evens out because they get a little bit of your pain once you've left. And I say that if you really are seriously depressed and even suicidal, and people pass off and trivialize your feelings, then you owe them even less (in fact, at this point, I'd say they owe you!)My aunt was miserable for years and years and finally ended it one day, and everyone was astounded when she was found dead in a hotel room (although she'd been talking about it for years and years and everyone had just passed off her feelings for nothing) Yes, my dad was deeply saddened for a while and so were the rest of my family, and it still makes him sad to this day, but he knows that his sister is free now. Sometimes people aren't fit for the world and nothing can help them, that's the way I see it. Again, if you were supposed to live your life for others, it would be called "Everyone Else's Life", not "Yours".

If you are so incredibly miserable in your life that each day drags on with such incredible pain, and you're only continuing on for your family, then no. Of course, in the end, you'll be gone and your family will suffer, but I guess it really just evens out because they get a little bit of your pain once you've left. And I say that if you really are seriously depressed and even suicidal, and people pass off and trivialize your feelings, then you owe them even less (in fact, at this point, I'd say they owe you!)My aunt was miserable for years and years and finally ended it one day, and everyone was astounded when she was found dead in a hotel room (although she'd been talking about it for years and years and everyone had just passed off her feelings for nothing) Yes, my dad was deeply saddened for a while and so were the rest of my family, and it still makes him sad to this day, but he knows that his sister is free now. Sometimes people aren't fit for the world and nothing can help them, that's the way I see it. Again, if you were supposed to live your life for others, it would be called "Everyone Else's Life", not "Yours".
Yeah I see your point. It's just that I do not believe we are all islands. We do have responsibility for others and they for us. It's what makes life worth living.
Then again, apportioning blame is not worthwhile.
Who knows.
All I can say is 'DON'T DO IT!'.

You have to be incredibly desperate to think about ending your own life. This isn't a cowardly action and anyone who thinks it is has no understanding at all - there will always be people who go through life with a complete lack of understanding or empathy for what is happening with other people under the assumption that we are all the same and those that have mental issues should just get a grip.

The reason people don't stay alive for their loved ones is because of their lack of self worth and often that those that they love would be better off without them. Completely misguided of course but then that's the nature of mental illness.

I strongly disagree with Morrissey's glamour laden view of suicide, it's not something that is a smart choice, it's not something that's a choice at all and it's the sort of thing that ruins lives of those that have been left behind.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom