The troll button

sea salt

ɹǝqɯǝɯ uʍouʞ-llǝM
I am so immensely tired of childish posters like Irish Blood Irish Heart misusing the troll-button every time they simply disagree with someone - when it's obvious people are offering sincere opinions. The troll button is there for trolls not when you don't want to read other opinions than your own. (You could always argue your point / state why you disagree.)

It's getting to a point where it's harrassment. Like angry, defiant children they hit "troll" ... 1000 times.

I would suggest a ban for people who keep abusing the rating system like this.

Last edited:
I see your point but users are free to rate how they want as it is their opinion so it's debatable what is abuse or what isn't. Sorry to hear you feel harassed. Since the ratings are public everyone can observe the behavior. Try to ignore it for now. There isn't an actual effect on the post generally unless at least 5 users rate it down to hide it.

Forget about the troll button. How about spellcheck button? I know a few people who could use it, right Midnite?

Aaaaaaand ... the person in question has dished out another fourty troll ratings overnight (most of them for BrummieBoy). IHIB has given more troll ratings in one night than made own posts in the last few months.

It's his opinion that everyone who legitimately criticises Morrissey is a troll, fine, but my point was that some just go mental with the troll button instead of articulating why they disagree - it's too easy and ultimately makes for a dumber forum. It's not that I'm personally offended. But thank you davidt for answering nicely and if I haven't said it before, thank you for hosting this and for all your good work.

Last edited:
You are welcome, it's impossible to please everyone, but I will take in your feedback. I would prefer people to use positive ratings more than negative but as in the real world, there will be some who prefer to knock things down. I try to ignore these types, let them spin in circles until their energy runs out. We can choose to focus on more positive things.

Aaaaaaand ... the person in question has dished out another fourty troll ratings overnight (most of them for BrummieBoy). IHIB has given more troll ratings in one night than made own posts in the last few months.

It's his opinion that everyone who legitimately criticises Morrissey is a troll, fine, but my point was that some just go mental with the troll button instead of articulating why they disagree - it's too easy and ultimately makes for a dumber forum. It's not that I'm personally offended. But thank you davidt for answering nicely and if I haven't said it before, thank you for hosting this and for all your good work.

as i said above, it's subjective. for some people words and how they are used are indeed important.
Wondering where your next meal is coming from is important. Getting treatment for your sick kid is important. In the scheme of things, words on a website that only a select group see are not.

Oh man, that is super funny and so true. Just like you do with a kid, let them run around until they pass out. Hahahahaha

I personally love it when people make themselves look like an asshat when they do stuff like this.

I really laugh at the redundant button that some use this way. Like what the topic is "what do you feel" and the post is "I feel happy" and someone rates it redundant. I laugh my ass off because how can that be redundant.

Lanterns, hey, really, remember morrissey has suffered much mental illness and it has attracted people that really can't cope with life and just act out in these odd ways. Don't trip.

I try to ignore these types, let them spin in circles until their energy runs out. We can choose to focus on more positive things.

It's just numbers on a screen.

Well I have to admit it feels good getting positive responses to my posts and I almost made it to a clean one hundred before a few crazies started blasting me. What's worse is that I have been directly called out by name in an off-topic post and then when I post a response the same person rates it off-topic or troll.

I think I have only used a thumbs down once. I agree with 12" that it would be great if some of these creatures could reply with a well thought out counter argument rather than pressing a button, but overall the correlation between being a moron and using these negative buttons is 1.

There is a better chance of teaching a monkey to drive a car than to get these knuckle dragging apes to change.

Oh man, that is super funny and so true. Just like you do with a kid, let them run around until they pass out. Hahahahaha

I really laugh at the redundant button that some use this way. Like what the topic is "what do you feel" and the post is "I feel happy" and someone rates it redundant. I laugh my ass off because how can that be redundant.

That was funny and you are 100% spot on here. I often select the list function to see who posts these type of negative ratings, and it is almost always a poster whose posts are usually off-topic and/or redundant.

I do get a laugh though when I post something positive about Moz and Brummie rates it as funny. How quintessentially Brummie.

I see your point but users are free to rate how they want as it is their opinion so it's debatable what is abuse or what isn't. Sorry to hear you feel harassed. Since the ratings are public everyone can observe the behavior. Try to ignore it for now. There isn't an actual effect on the post generally unless at least 5 users rate it down to hide it.

And again thank you David for keeping this psych ward running these many years. The next iteration of this site should be to disburse the appropriate medication necessary to address the special type of psychosis these "special" posters suffer from.

I am becoming a bit of a positive reinforcement junkie. After my 1000th post I received a trophy. Any chance you could create a virtual trophy case for me to store these? ;) :trophy: :D

Last edited:
i am amazed that grown ass adults care about negative ratings. a-mazed. i personally couldn't care less. when someone posts an insulting comment it's usually the element of shock that at first makes it seem so offensive--once that wears off, their post usually just becomes amusing in a quaint "well they tried" sort of way. but when someone selects a negative rating, there are four options to choose from. there can, thus, be no element of shock when receiving one, rather just a sense of "oh this again" or "oh them again". who cares? unless we're viewing it as some sort of contest, as in "who can get a clean 100 without any negatives before someone ruins it" which might amuse some i guess, but, personally, i've got bigger fish to fry.

It's interesting how someone who has been registered on this site for barely six months can post more times than someone who has been here for over seven years. Why is that?

Are they needy? Desirous of attention? Insecure? Hmmmm...sounds like it. Look at me! Look at me! Comes to mind. But that is for others to judge.

I couldn't care less what the drift wood of this site rate me. They are worthless in their thoughts and opinions because they don't amount to or create anything of value other than glad handing and friendly pats on the back to their like minded minions.

Build something of their own, create a likeness that can be recognized beyond the pale blue horizon. This they can never do so they rely on the various new buttons provided by this site to make their job easier. Tear down the wall of thought and provocation with the greatest of ease or laziness because that is the only tool in their tool box of communicative thought.

It's interesting how someone who has been registered on this site for barely six months can post more times than someone who has been here for over seven years. Why is that?

Are they needy? Desirous of attention? Insecure? Hmmmm...sounds like it. Look at me! Look at me! Comes to mind. But that is for others to judge.

I couldn't care less what the drift wood of this site rate me. They are worthless in their thoughts and opinions because they don't amount to or create anything of value other than glad handing and friendly pats on the back to their like minded minions.

Build something of their own, create a likeness that can be recognized beyond the pale blue horizon. This they can never do so they rely on the various new buttons provided by this site to make their job easier.Tear down the wall of thought and provocation with the greatest of ease or laziness because that is the only tool in their tool box of communicative thought.
you're really reading too much into things, lol

also:
Build something of their own, create a likeness that can be recognized beyond the pale blue horizon. This they can never do so they rely on the various new buttons provided by this site to make their job easier.
oh im sorry, is that supposed to be the goal here "creating a likeness that can be recognized beyond the pale blue horizon" (whatever that means...)? forgive me, i did not realize. i guess i've been doing it all wrong. so, is that your aim whenever you post? your last paragraph is really obfuscating (also, id like to point out that your last sentence in your last paragraph is a sentence fragment). i think a good goal for you would be to stop trying to sound wiser than your cranial capacity will allow. know your limits, georgie porgy. lol

Last edited:
Forget about the troll button. How about spellcheck button? I know a few people who could use it, right Midnite?

Wrong Anonymous
Do u really think I cant spell "correctly" ? and theres needs 2 b a spellcheck button ? what on earth for ???????
And theres no such thing as a "correct" way 2 spell anyways , may be worth thinking about, next time you use text messaging ect.
But you may be very pleasantly surprised by what I can do..... and why I do it! :)

It's just numbers on a screen. If it makes some folk feel important, let them. Nothing else happens.

Not quite Uncleskinny , numbers can have great importance and meaning ect .....
I myself get a recurring certain number over and over again, wasnt sure what it meant at first, but now of course im far more enlightened 2 such matters!!!

Last edited:

You do realise some of us use these buttons ironically? To banjax any attempt to control the debate? It's hardly important unless it changes the visibility of dissident opinions. Everybody chill. This is a website about a car-crash C List almost celebrity. Anyone affected by 'trolls' needs to see a therapist or leave. And don't forget the past episodes of tantrums where folk claimed they were having mental breakdowns because of 'harassment' either because they were bored, love drama or whatever. If it switches into real life I can see why some would freak but even then.....just call the police/a lawyer. Or turn up at their house in the middle of the night with an axe. That's what I do, isn't it Morrissey?.......LOL!

I am so immensely tired of childish posters like Irish Blood Irish Heart misusing the troll-button every time they simply disagree with someone - when it's obvious people are offering sincere opinions. The troll button is there for trolls not when you don't want to read other opinions than your own. (You could always argue your point / state why you disagree.)

It's getting to a point where it's harrassment. Like angry, defiant children they hit "troll" ... 1000 times.

I would suggest a ban for people who keep abusing the rating system like this.

The best thing is to ignore it. My first "troll" rating was just because the person disagreed and it did irritate me but it doesn't affect anything. I use the buttons quite a bit myself. When someone writes for the twentieth time in the same thread that Morrissey's sexuality is personal it's a lot easier to click "redundant" than to engage the person and repeat a conversation. The person you mention has apparently just discovered the buttons, and it's apparently giving him great joy so why would you want to take away that one bright spot in his day? Seriously, though, or somewhat seriously, if someone does it to you you can do it back and they generally stop. I haven't given him any votes because I'd have to take him off ignore and search for his posts. It's not worth it. But never let someone know their petty behavior is really bothering you. I think all that happens is if you get five negatives your posts can't be seen. Really, I agree with David that it's better to let them post "troll" on every post you make and the reader can be the judge. You're obviously not a troll. And getting a "negative" reaction from a person that is an idiot is almost the same as getting a positive reaction from someone you like or whose opinion you respect.

The best thing is to ignore it. My first "troll" rating was just because the person disagreed and it did irritate me but it doesn't affect anything. I use the buttons quite a bit myself. When someone writes for the twentieth time in the same thread that Morrissey's sexuality is personal it's a lot easier to click "redundant" than to engage the person and repeat a conversation. The person you mention has apparently just discovered the buttons, and it's apparently giving him great joy so why would you want to take away that one bright spot in his day? Seriously, though, or somewhat seriously, if someone does it to you you can do it back and they generally stop. I haven't given him any votes because I'd have to take him off ignore and search for his posts. It's not worth it. But never let someone know their petty behavior is really bothering you. I think all that happens is if you get five negatives your posts can't be seen. Really, I agree with David that it's better to let them post "troll" on every post you make and the reader can be the judge. You're obviously not a troll. And getting a "negative" reaction from a person that is an idiot is almost the same as getting a positive reaction from someone you like or whose opinion you respect.

Which would make it easy for someone in/close to Team Morrissey to recruit The List to censor dissident opinion. We had this before with the kudos/popularity buttons. Nothing's perfect, so just ignore/ enjoy it unless it results in unintended censorship. 'Bright spot in day'. Ah....yes....*Moms Basement*...

Back
Top Bottom