"There Is A Light..." #2 in SPIN's "The 50 Best Alt-Rock Love Songs"

Shoplifterromo sends the link:

Excerpt:

2. The Smiths – “There Is a Light That Never Goes Out”

The Smiths’ “angry young man” anthem perfectly captures the confusion and drama of teenage lust: Johnny Marr’s timeless, jangling guitar has given rise to countless solemn YouTube covers. Morrissey’s hyper-literate lyrics were influenced by Karel Reisz’s 1960 film, Saturday Night and Sunday Morning, written by Alan Sillitoe, whose short story “The Loneliness of the Long-Distance Runner” inspired everyone from Iron Maiden to Belle & Sebastian. “There Is a Light That Never Goes Out” makes an excellent choice for any road trip playlist — just watch out for those double-decker buses. – J.P.B.

full

I could cry at the exclusion of Bright Eyes, Cursive, The Good Life, early Death Cab or the Postal Service, or at the fact that of all the gorgeous love songs by the Cure they chose Friday, but I guess that would be a bit much.

A list that puts Foo Fighters in the top 50, let alone at number 4!!!! hahaha
You know you don't want to waste any time looking at it...

Siouxsie & the Banshees are in though with the breathtaking "The Last Beat of My Heart", excellent choice

Why does it seem music journalists can only ever describe Johnny Marr's guitar as 'jangly'?

Talking Heads and Pretenders were good choices. I looked for Pacific Coast Highway by Hole but it's not there.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom