These Things Take Time In-Depth Discussion

Agree with Old Mathew about these interpretations - the only potential differing opinion I would offer - Where lies the line between Morrissey's experiences and Morrissey's fantasies?

I think the fact that the first 10 of 15 songs he presented to the world seem to address the same topic/relationship = probably based on an actual experience.

The art, of course, is that it is relatable to almost everyone, everywhere. The art is that he took (what is likely) a singular experience and made it universal.

morrissey always struck me as a guy to write from real experience with real people. do you guys think he stopped once the band took off and wrote from fantasy/abstraction after that? do you guys think there are songs about marr (the swallow on his neck i thought was pretty cool)

Re: These Things Take Time In-Depth Discussion That'll Piss Some People Off.

Thanks Amy, great feedback, except:
NONE of the early songs i referenced above are or could possibly be about Johnny Marr. These are roughly the first 10 of the 15 Smiths songs ever written. Most likely, every lyric was written before Johnny met Moz in May of 1982.

Moz left school in 1976. My guess would be the "affair" with the unknown person we're talking about, which formed the basis of all those early songs, happened in 1980 or 1981. Probably someone at the local uni. And recently enough that Moz felt going back to those lyrics, which had already been written (in some form) not too long before Marr came along, was a good idea.

Hell, I remember writing about 50 poems about a break up to a relationship that never happened when I was 18. Morrissey was barely 23 when Marr came along; most likely, these are the deeply poetic and talented but nonetheless typical poems that young broken-hearted people write in their rooms to vanquished dreams of love at that tender age.

It wasn't Marr, and I doubt it was James Maker. The muse remains undisclosed, but when you look at that earliest body of work, it seems clear that most of The Smiths and Hatful of Hollow was inspired by, if not one person, then a series of similar events.

It's no secret Moz likes the rough boys (Boxers, etc)... which leaves a lot of room for quashed hopes and misunderstandings, especially in working-class Manchester around 1981.

Eee, calm down, calm down! ;) I do not think Morrissey had a substantial amount of lyrics written before '82 - or in case, not ones that would later be used for Smiths songs. He might have had fragments, poems, a few lyrics that he might have tried out with other bands - but when the Smiths first started gigging, they had so little material that they added cover versions to their set.

This isn't to negate your belief that those songs were about a pre-Smiths relationship (very possible), but I'm convinced that whatever he had by '82, it wasn't 12-15 songs just sitting in his notepad, waiting for the music to be added. By Morrissey's own admission, he had almost "given up" on his musical ambitions by the time Johnny arrived (having failed to set the world on fire with his early bands or writing projects), and most of his time was spent waxing enthusiastic in the NME reviews section and writing to pen pals. Of course, along with "Jeane" and "Miserable Lie", it's plausible that the muse for many of his early lyrical attempts was Linder - but for the fact that "These Things Take Time", "What Difference..." etc have a strong homoerotic undercurrent.

Now, I know you named a cluster of songs where Morrissey fantasizes about shagging some anonymous rough (Handsome Devil, Reel Around The Fountain) or bitter memories and "what ifs" from school (You've Got Everything Now) - I don't think they have anything to do with Johnny, so we're in agreement there. My gist was that as The Smiths got off the ground, there was a definite lyrical shift away from the early-sexual-fumblings topic (probably based on experience) to a consistent theme of unrequited or unfulfilled desire for someone who is out of reach, whose mentality has not caught up with their biology. Hell, that's practicall the Smiths' oeuvre. I made specific reference to "I Want the One I Can't Have", which was on Meat is Murder (definitely stretching it to suggest that the lyrics for the second album were written by '82, surely!) and to "What Difference Does It Make?", which as we know, was re-written for the final single in '84. I also mentioned There Is a Light, I Won't Share You and I Started Something I Couldn't Finish - hope to God they weren't about a teen romance in 1980! As for your comment about "Forgive Someone", come on now...concede that one and we'll say no more about it. :guitar:.

I feel that maybe wires got crossed somewhere and I didn't make myself very clear with that first response. I'm not saying every song on every album is about Johnny, or every single song that deals with homoerotic longing and relationships - just...a lot of them. Particularly in the period from '84-88.

Last edited by a moderator:

I agree with those of you who have suggested that the aforementioned songs are likely inspired by actual events, as many of the lyrics seem too oddly specific to be pure fantasy. However, I’m not convinced they were all inspired by the same person. It’s absolutely plausible (Jon Daley in particular comes to mind---he was older, more experienced and of ambiguous sexuality), but I think it’s also a strong possibility that whoever is being addressed in these songs is really an amalgam of several different people. It could be people we’ve read about in Autobiography or people we have no knowledge of because Morrissey hasn’t mentioned them and we haven’t been made privy to their relationship. Either way, it’s interesting fodder for discussion.

This isn't to negate your belief that those songs were about a pre-Smiths relationship (very possible), but I'm convinced that whatever he had by '82, it wasn't 12-15 songs just sitting in his notepad, waiting for the music to be added. By Morrissey's own admission, he had almost "given up" on his musical ambitions by the time Johnny arrived (having failed to set the world on fire with his early bands or writing projects), and most of his time was spent waxing enthusiastic in the NME reviews section and writing to pen pals. Of course, along with "Jeane" and "Miserable Lie", it's plausible that the muse for many of his early lyrical attempts was Linder - but for the fact that "These Things Take Time", "What Difference..." etc have a strong homoerotic undercurrent.
“Miserable Lie” is pretty obviously about Linder Sterling, and I used to think “Jeane” was, too, but after reading Autobiography I started to consider that it might actually him looking back on his aunt Jeane’s precarious and tumultuous domestic situation, which he describes in the book.

morrissey always struck me as a guy to write from real experience with real people. do you guys think he stopped once the band took off and wrote from fantasy/abstraction after that? do you guys think there are songs about marr (the swallow on his neck i thought was pretty cool)
I'm pretty sure Marr didn't have the swallow tattoo at the time "A Swallow On My Neck" was written. I'm not part of the "Morrissey NEVER wrote a song about Johnny Marr!" contingent, but a lot of people are really eager to read into things while throwing actual facts to the wind. It does make me wonder though whether Johnny is aware of the song.

Last edited:

Eee, calm down, calm down! ;)

With passions like mine... :)

but I'm convinced that whatever he had by '82, it wasn't 12-15 songs just sitting in his notepad, waiting for the music to be added.

I'd agree, but we know he had reams of notes and lines written, many of which I would venture he recycled and reassembled to become those songs...

Now, I know you named a cluster of songs where Morrissey fantasizes about shagging some anonymous rough (Handsome Devil, Reel Around The Fountain) or bitter memories and "what ifs" from school (You've Got Everything Now) - I don't think they have anything to do with Johnny, so we're in agreement there. My gist was that as The Smiths got off the ground, there was a definite lyrical shift away from the early-sexual-fumblings topic (probably based on experience) to a consistent theme of unrequited or unfulfilled desire for someone who is out of reach, whose mentality has not caught up with their biology. Hell, that's practicall the Smiths' oeuvre.

It is their oeuvre! And also has been Morrissey's for almost three post-Smiths decades.

I made specific reference to "I Want the One I Can't Have", which was on Meat is Murder (definitely stretching it to suggest that the lyrics for the second album were written by '82, surely!)

Agreed, but man, Morrissey sure likes to get foxy around railway stations.

I also mentioned There Is a Light, I Won't Share You and I Started Something I Couldn't Finish - hope to God they weren't about a teen romance in 1980! As for your comment about "Forgive Someone", come on now...concede that one and we'll say no more about it. :guitar:.

Fair enough. But you'll recall that because he mentions "Still Ill" in "Forgive Someone" that everyone thought it must be about Johnny. Alternately, it could be about the person (if he exists) who may have inspired him to write "Still Ill" and "These Things Take Time...." So, I don't concede. But nor do I defend. :)

I feel that maybe wires got crossed somewhere and I didn't make myself very clear with that first response. I'm not saying every song on every album is about Johnny, or every single song that deals with homoerotic longing and relationships - just...a lot of them.

I think we're in agreement. But the 1982-1983 songs were almost certainly about someone (singular or plural) other than Johnny. It's probably only post "William, It Was Really Nothing" (actually, on the b-sides) that he moved away from tales of his past.

I agree with those of you who have suggested that the aforementioned songs are likely inspired by actual events, as many of the lyrics seem too oddly specific to be pure fantasy. However, I’m not convinced they were all inspired by the same person. It’s absolutely plausible (Jon Daley in particular comes to mind---he was older, more experienced and of ambiguous sexuality), but I think it’s also a strong possibility that whoever is being addressed in these songs is really an amalgam of several different people. It could be people we’ve read about in Autobiography or people we have no knowledge of because Morrissey hasn’t mentioned them and we haven’t been made privy to their relationship. Either way, it’s interesting fodder for discussion.

“Miserable Lie” is pretty obviously about Linder Sterling, and I used to think “Jeane” was, too, but after reading Autobiography I started to consider that it might actually him looking back on his aunt Jeane’s precarious and tumultuous domestic situation, which he describes in the book.

I'm pretty sure Marr didn't have the swallow tattoo at the time "A Swallow On My Neck" was written. I'm not part of the "Morrissey NEVER wrote a song about Johnny Marr!" contingent, but a lot of people are really eager to read into things while throwing actual facts to the wind. It does make me wonder though whether Johnny is aware of the song.

cool. ive not followed marr and dont know when he got any of the tats so thanks for that. it would be an usual coincidence for marr to just get that randomly out of the blue and for him to be totally unaware but it could be the case. i of course always read it to be a hickey but who knows

We all stumble into people like TS on a regular basis. The type that stayed too long at uni and will turn any topic into some pseudo-debate with absolutely no attachment to reality. They have watched too many american tv shows where hipsters spend their time mystifying this and that and come up with absolutelt mad explanations that only make sense to themselves and their weed smoking friends.

Earth is a planet where we spin around the sun and in the meantime cows go about their business eating and chewing and chew some more and that is all they are and then they die and that was it. Elaborate on that and write a degree about it and say hello to the people in old cardigans with holes in them. Have a haircut and get a job cause you are not a kid anymore and no company will ever find any sort of use of what you studied and your parents are soon dead and their kid is still in school.

I suppose the idea of discussing Smiths songs on a Smiths forum really is a pretty stupid one. I am chuckling here.

Fred's going to see Marr on Monday night and I told him he should ask him about the Swallow tattoo. I've never seen a guy clam up and shake his "no" that quickly before in my entire life.

he should totally ask. when i saw the lemonheads with bill drumming i for sure went up and asked about all and the descendents right off.

There is a guy following the tour and on "the list" who is enacting being a gay pin up. Looking at his instagram, I cannot imagine Morrissey NOT f***ing him by the end of the tour. The pictures that the guy is taking at the concerts is also fascinating, what Morrissey looks like when he looks at men who are like the ones whom he has used as cover and backdrop art. Interesting game that's played there. I am sure it'll work out for this guy, because everything fits, including the images of the guy nude at the beach. The question arises however, isn't Morrissey too easily manipulated by such things? There is even this gay bluntness of him holding up a sign saying "Morrissey give me your gun". I honestly don't see how Morrissey is ever going to resist that, because he is totally programmed this way. It is exactly what his whole world has always been about, right from the start. I don't see it working out equally well for that women on "the list" who is playing Kristeen Young double, female 50s pin up. Interestingly.

There is a guy following the tour and on "the list" who is enacting being a gay pin up. Looking at his instagram, I cannot imagine Morrissey NOT f***ing him by the end of the tour. The pictures that the guy is taking at the concerts is also fascinating, what Morrissey looks like when he looks at men who are like the ones whom he has used as cover and backdrop art. Interesting game that's played there. I am sure it'll work out for this guy, because everything fits, including the images of the guy nude at the beach. The question arises however, isn't Morrissey too easily manipulated by such things? There is even this gay bluntness of him holding up a sign saying "Morrissey give me your gun". I honestly don't see how Morrissey is ever going to resist that, because he is totally programmed this way. It is exactly what his whole world has always been about, right from the start. I don't see it working out equally well for that women on "the list" who is playing Kristeen Young double, female 50s pin up. Interestingly.

Morrissey has a girlfriend, you don't know anything about him.

Back
Top Bottom