Thinking of moving to New York City

virtually dead

Simply Thrilled, Honey
Hello
I've started thinking about taking an extended holiday in New York, 6months to a year to start with and if I like it then possibly more.
But I need some advice on the practicality of all this, what areas are cheap to live in? How do I get an apartment?
How much money am I going to need, roughly, to survive?

I know some of you are New Yorker's so hopefully someone can help me out.
Thanks

ps: It was sparked by a Woody Allen film, and why not?

Lots of money. I would probably try to live in on eof the burroughs rather than manhattan. I live in Connecticut and it's pretty pricey here as well. Maybe Brooklyn or Queens, but you have to make sure it's a nicer part of town.

if you don't mind living with a few roommates and don't need much personal space then you could prolly find a share in an apartment for around $700 per month in parts of brooklyn..You should check out craigslist to get a rough idea of rent costs..

NRITH asks a good question..if you don't have a visa you won't be able to get a proper job and will have to work under the table bartending or do some type of manual labor.

I don't have a Visa yet, it's just a thought, would I be better to do this once I have a degree?

And NRITH, the commune idea was longer than a year ago, ok? :p

if you don't mind living with a few roommates and don't need much personal space then you could prolly find a share in an apartment for around $700 per month in parts of brooklyn..You should check out craigslist to get a rough idea of rent costs..

That cheap, really?

NRITH asks a good question..if you don't have a visa you won't be able to get a proper job and will have to work under the table bartending or do some type of manual labor.

And bars only hire the Irish. ;)

virtie, aren't you from a small town?

I live in Queens and it's not as pricey as Manhattan, but New York is expensive. Astoria and Jackson Heights are supposedly two of the few remaining areas to get a cheaper apartment, but that may even be a thing of the past now. There are wonderful Greek restaurants in Astoria, and you are just a subway ride from the city living in either.

Once you graduate you should try to find a company who has offices in NYC and would one day allow you to transfer there.

I don't have a Visa yet, it's just a thought, would I be better to do this once I have a degree?

And NRITH, the commune idea was longer than a year ago, ok? :p

If you want up and coming then you will be able to SHARE an apartment for someone for about $750-800 a month in Brooklyn. If you want to find an area where this is LESS of a chance of getting mugged and raped be prepared for around $1300 in Brooklyn and that too can be the cost of sharing an apartment.

In Manhattan a friend lives around the East 90's and pays close to $3000 a month.

I live in Queens and it's not as pricey as Manhattan, but New York is expensive. Astoria and Jackson Heights are supposedly two of the few remaining areas to get a cheaper apartment, but that may even be a thing of the past now. There are wonderful Greek restaurants in Astoria, and you are just a subway ride from the city living in either.

My friend had pretty decent rent in Mineola.. a bit west of Queens.. about 25 minutes from Manhattan. Now he lives in Harrison (in Westchester) but his girlfriend's father owns the house.

Oh yeah, he says people that live in Queens, which is on Long Island say they are not part of Long Island. Is that true?

When you get to immigration at the airport, they will ask you the purpose of your visit and also proof of your exit from the country, so if you go in on a holiday visa and say for two weeks but don't have an outward ticket, they may refuse you entry. Just something to bare in mind.

Jukebox Jury

If you want up and coming then you will be able to SHARE an apartment for someone for about $750-800 a month in Brooklyn. If you want to find an area where this is LESS of a chance of getting mugged and raped be prepared for around $1300 in Brooklyn and that too can be the cost of sharing an apartment.

In Manhattan a friend lives around the East 90's and pays close to $3000 a month.

That's what I was gonna guess. virtie seems like more of a Greenwich Village type, though. A SoLowist runs a store down there; you should ask her.

My friend had pretty decent rent in Mineola.. a bit west of Queens.. about 25 minutes from Manhattan. Now he lives in Harrison (in Westchester) but his girlfriend's father owns the house.

Oh yeah, he says people that live in Queens, which is on Long Island say they are not part of Long Island. Is that true?

Geographically speaking Crooklyn and Queens are a part of Long Island.

I don't know if any of you would know but, are there much oppertunities for a practising artist in NY?
I've admitted now I can't go without a degree.

I've lived on Long Island, too, and always consider that distinct from Queens - Queens is technically attached to Long Island, geographically, but I pay NYC taxes, get NYC garbage collection, so I'm not a resident of Long Island in any way.:)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom