'This Is Morrissey' Album (vinyl & download) - released 6th July - Morrissey Central (June 3)

43206_this_is_morrissey.jpg

On Friday 6 July Parlophone (Warner) release This Is Morrissey album.
On the same day, BMG release the single All The Young People Must Fall In Love, with Rose Garden as the B-side.The A-side is re-mixed by Bob Clearmountain.The B-side is live from The Grand ‘Ole Opry in Nashville.
Both releases are available on vinyl and as download.

https://www.morrisseycentral.com/messagesfrommorrissey/morrissey-release-date

Not a mock-up after all.
Odd track list - Satellite... and including the Mael mix!?
Opinions?
Regards,
FWD.

(7" not included in title as it has several separate threads already).

Posted by Famous when dead:

Update: June 4th.

This Is Morrissey will have a release on July 6th in the U.S.A on the Sire label.

https://www.morrisseycentral.com/messagesfrommorrissey/this-is-morrissey-usa-edition

43226_this_is_morrissey_us.jpg

UPDATE June 5:

As noted by NealCassidy and Famous when dead, the US version appears to have 3 fewer tracks (Missing: "Speedway", "Angel...", "Lucky Lisp"):

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
1988 - 2018
- Eleven albums
- Two Live albums
- thirteen compilation albums
I could be wrong but I reckon this must be the 8th or 9th solo compilation - if you include Bona Drag - which isn't so bad in thirty years. The Smiths released three in four years after all.
1- Bona Drag
2- Family Line
3- World Of Morrissey
4- Suedehead - The Best Of Morrissey
5- Rare Tracks
6- My early Burglary Years
7- The CD Singles '88-'91
8- The Best Of Morrissey
9- The CD Singles '91-'95
10- Greatest Hits
11- Swords
12 - Very Best Of
13- This is Morrissey

No no no.
I'm not saying Moz isn't gay, but the stalls, circle & balcony are simply the 3 areas of seating in a theatre. Maybe 'balcony gay' is relevant, but he doesn't say that, he says 'balcony fool'. So I don't really think this is anything more than prurience.
It's an extended metaphor. He's not actually describing a night at the theatre :rolleyes: He says 'balcony fool' because he's calling himself a fool for not feeling able to join in.

1- Bona Drag
2- Family Line
3- World Of Morrissey
4- Suedehead - The Best Of Morrissey
5- Rare Tracks
6- My early Burglary Years
7- The CD Singles '88-'91
8- The Best Of Morrissey
9- The CD Singles '91-'95
10- Greatest Hits
11- Swords
12 - Very Best Of
13- This is Morrissey

Well, interesting, but Family Line was an 8 track promo and Rare Tracks was a 6 track import - so they're not albums. And those two CD singles boxsets weren't either though possibly they did release a three CD version later. None of them I would regard alongside the official compilation albums personally.

For those interested:
The album cover photo is 12 years old and by Sarah Kerver - it is a 'stock' Getty-owned image.
It is from The SXSW Film and Music Festival: Austin, Texas - 16.03.06.

View attachment 44706
The others:
View attachment 44708View attachment 44707View attachment 44709 View attachment 44710 View attachment 44711 View attachment 44712 View attachment 44713 View attachment 44714

I believe this is the video of the event:

Regards,
FWD.

Go texas...lol

It's an extended metaphor. He's not actually describing a night at the theatre :rolleyes: He says 'balcony fool' because he's calling himself a fool for not feeling able to join in.

He is describing going to see the lisping man in various theatres, in different seats, in the surface meaning (some in future tense). The question is, is there a hidden ref to gay sex...i don't think so

That's a nice looking retro cover, but a pointless selection of tracks. "The Harsh Truth of the Camera Eye"? If I made a list of my least favorite songs, this would probably be in the top three. Barely even good enough to be a b-side much less the album track it somehow inexplicably was.

A less salacious explanation is offered in Mozipedia:

"‘Lucky Lisp’ (Morrissey/Street), B-side of ‘THE LAST OF THE FAMOUS INTERNATIONAL PLAYBOYS’ (1989).
More evidence that Morrissey can’t resist a good (or perhaps bad) pun, ‘Lucky Lisp’ makes consonant-swapping mirth of the LEIBER AND STOLLER tune ‘Lucky Lips’, a top five UK hit for Cliff Richard in May 1963. Serenading a friend, Morrissey enthusiastically predicts that their speech impediment will bring them fame, fortune and mass adulation, even picturing himself one day ‘gurgling’ with the fans in the upper circles. A slight, if supremely catchy, Morrissey morsel, its prominent pulsing synthesiser couldn’t disguise the fact Street’s sugary melody was one of his more Smiths-conscious offerings, granted a suitably jangly guitar gloss by Craig GANNON"

IIRC, not sure there were any sexual undertones offered to explain it on release (no pun intended).
Maybe my flower-like life was more innocent back then ;)
Regards,
FWD.

"‘Lucky Lisp’ (Morrissey/Street), B-side of ‘THE LAST OF THE FAMOUS INTERNATIONAL PLAYBOYS’ (1989).
More evidence that Morrissey can’t resist a good (or perhaps bad) pun, ‘Lucky Lisp’ makes consonant-swapping mirth of the LEIBER AND STOLLER tune ‘Lucky Lips’, a top five UK hit for Cliff Richard in May 1963. Serenading a friend, Morrissey enthusiastically predicts that their speech impediment will bring them fame, fortune and mass adulation, even picturing himself one day ‘gurgling’ with the fans in the upper circles. A slight, if supremely catchy, Morrissey morsel, its prominent pulsing synthesiser couldn’t disguise the fact Street’s sugary melody was one of his more Smiths-conscious offerings, granted a suitably jangly guitar gloss by Craig GANNON"

IIRC, not sure there were any sexual undertones offered to explain it on release (no pun intended).
Regards,
FWD.

Well that certainly fits with the guest list line. There was also the rumor it was inspired by Marc Bolan whom he’s admired over the years. Couldn’t find any reference to a nine leaf clover as gay lingo either. Great song though, super catchy

next time I phone a theatre to book tickets,if the person on the phone says would you like the stalls, the circle, or the balcony I will burst out laughing and tell her to wash her mouth out with soap.

Regards,
FWD.

"Prominent pulsing synthesizer?" Please, don't give Peppermint any more ammunition! :ha-no:

Is this some kind of contractual obligation that he owes these record companies? If not, I cannot fathom the point of it.

Regards,
FWD.

You made me laugh and Google IIRC so quite the achievement. :trophy:

Tags
this is morrissey info

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom